Talk

Advanced search

to be sick of people asking if they're not prepared to listen to the answer?

(13 Posts)
faithinthesound Tue 31-Jan-17 06:44:30

Just that. Why ask the question if you're not prepared to listen to the answer? Why post on a discussion forum if you're already convinced that you're right, and no correspondence will be entered into?

Getting really tired of the multitude of times I'm seeing this basic template for a thread:

OP: AIBU?
95% of respondents: Yes, you are BVU and here's why
5% of respondents: No, you are NBU because you're doing what I would do and I'm just as awful/selfish as you
OP: Obviously I was right in the first place
95% of respondents: Did you hear us when we said you were BVU and also you're wrong?
OP: LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE ANGELIC CHOIR OF MY RIGHTNESS

Just... why would you bother coming on a discussion forum on the internet when you've already convinced yourself you're always right and can do no wrong?

seesensepeople Tue 31-Jan-17 06:53:53

YABU if you think people post on here for a rational response every time smile
Some just come on to rant - ever get that feeling yourself?

faithinthesound Tue 31-Jan-17 06:55:23

lol that's fair. Though I think if I were just ranting, I would preface said rant with "I know IABU, just need to rant". I'm more talking about the people who appear to be genuinely asking and then poohpooh all the answers they get!

ALemonyPea Tue 31-Jan-17 06:57:46

Unreasonable people will never listen to reason. It's not often on AIBU that the op will admit they're wrong.

seesensepeople Tue 31-Jan-17 07:15:10

you do realise, faith, that we're all going to disagree with you just to prove your point...

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 31-Jan-17 07:19:28

OP, YANBU.

<joins Angelic Choir halo>

Bluntness100 Tue 31-Jan-17 07:24:08

I think they do it as they expect to be told they are right and not being unreasonable so get pissed off when told otherwise. And yes there is always posters who say no you're not, it's totally justifiable, and I think that's some misguided form of support rather than sure I like to bite the heads off puppies too or whatever the question is. 🙄

melj1213 Tue 31-Jan-17 07:33:04

The ones that most frustrate me are ones where the OP can't accept that they are partially responsible for whatever happened and want to put all the blame on the other party.

OP: I caused this whole drama, then my friend reacted badly, AIBU that she was being unreasonable?

Pretty much everyone: YANBU at her reaction BUT YABU for causing it

OP: Thank you for agreeing with me, my actions are irrelevent

Everyone: Er, actually you need to take some responsibility too

OP: No, it was my friend who was U, not me. I am totally innocent in this <flounces>

Fairylea Tue 31-Jan-17 07:34:35

I read the title and thought this would be about Piers Morgan and Owen Jones just now on Good Morning Britain.

I'll get my coat.... blush

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 31-Jan-17 07:36:54

There have been a few times when I have posted an AIBU and had a similar response and reaction. Generally, reading the thread has clarified my thoughts, and also made me realise that my OP was a bit unclear. Perhaps I hadn't expressed myself well in the upset of the moment. Ultimately, though, if the response doesn't change my mind, I don't keep la-la-la-ing and defending my position. It has still served its purpose, but I'm not out to convert the convinced.

Skooba Tue 31-Jan-17 07:47:53

I don't think any adult wants another adult to tell them what to do,
Come to that no teens want to be told what to do (thinking of DCs).
You might want advice on How to do something.
It's the posters who come over as ' this OP is a selfish cow/ snowflake/ self obsessed pia, I must take this opportunity to put her in her place' thus demonstrating my obvious higher intelligence/ greater experience etc .

faithinthesound Tue 31-Jan-17 20:45:21

seesensepeople
And I wouldn't have you any other way <3

blueirishues Tue 31-Jan-17 20:46:40

Well in fairness, sometimes it's more like

Op - AIBU

Poster A - yes
Poster B - no
Poster C - maybe

OP - yes I see what you mean

Poster A - well what do you expect if you don't take my helpful advice. Have you LTB yet?

That being said I agree with the premise of your post. I say it several times a day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now