Talk

Advanced search

To think im missing something if i think my dc have never had nits or threadworm?!

(43 Posts)
Meluamelua Tue 31-Jan-17 00:01:42

To my knowledge they never have. DC 1 is primary and DC2 pre school. Am I missing the signs? Is it possible not to have had them?!

VonHerrBurton Tue 31-Jan-17 00:07:45

14 yo DS not had head lice or worms either. Unless I'm also missing something, melua!grin

TheDowagerCuntess Tue 31-Jan-17 00:08:19

You know you have just tempted fate, right?!

I have two school-aged DC and TOUCH WOOD we haven't had them - yet. We spent a couple of weeks over Christmas / summer with my best friend and her family. Her DD, same age as my eldest, has recurring nits.

The kids were sharing a bedroom, and running in out of each other's tents when we were camping, and somehow we miraculously escaped. DD has long hair, so I kept it tied up in a tight bun for the duration.

DD always has her hair pulled back at school and on play dates. I'm guessing this makes a small difference, but can't actually be a game changer - she has thick wavy hair that even in a pony tail must still be susceptible.

No threadworms - yet - either.

I don't see how it can be avoided forever, these things are a part of childhood, aren't they?

And I don't think you're missing the signs though - I think that's pretty much impossible!

DJBaggySmalls Tue 31-Jan-17 00:09:53

Maybe your kids are immune and hold the key to a cure that could benefit us all?

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 31-Jan-17 00:11:43

Give them time wink

SparklyLeprechaun Tue 31-Jan-17 00:14:18

Mine have never had them either. They didn't even manage to catch chicken pox, despite dd's best friend having had both nits and chicken pox. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

wigglesrock Tue 31-Jan-17 00:15:03

My 3 have never had nits (obviously I'm now jinxing myself and am playing fast and loose with the blessing of myself) they're 11, 9 and 5. Two in primary school and one in secondary. All three are girls, 2 have long hair and one has a short short bob. It's been in their nursery school class and in their separate primary school classes but nits don't like us.

bumsexatthebingo Tue 31-Jan-17 00:18:17

Mine have had worms and you'd know. Very noticeable evening squirming and very uncomfortable for them. They've never had lice (good old tea tree oil!) but I did when I was younger. And the itching was so intense I felt like scratching my scalp off so I doubt you'd miss that either.

EineKleine Tue 31-Jan-17 00:26:45

I was just starting to think my kids may be immune but DC1 finally got nits in Y4. I'm glad we've had them as I know what to look for now and I no longer need to agonise over whether odd dandruff flakes are eggs. Adult headlice are surprisingly big.

SparklyUnicornPoo Tue 31-Jan-17 00:32:16

There is plenty of time yet OP. I have always had really long, thick, wavy hair and managed not to get nits right up until I was 25 (I work with KS1 children) I had to get mum to come round and help me treat my hair.

I do keep it in a tight bun or plaited for work which I'm convinced helps but obviously it doesn't completely prevent them.

haveacupoftea Tue 31-Jan-17 01:06:08

What a random stealth boast.

TheFilthiestPersonAlive Tue 31-Jan-17 03:14:12

Is it really a stealth boast? That the OP has managed to avoid nits? It might just mean they've all got really greasy hair - or no friends.

SingingInTheRainstorm Tue 31-Jan-17 03:24:51

To avoid nits, they market tea tree shampoo for kids, plus a spray that's diluted tea tree. But I also believe you should never tempt fate by saying never have my DC's...

You can get worms as an adult, I think I read being barefoot on the grass can be a risk. The little blighters come out to play at night, through itching they can pass from person to person. Only aware as I read a blog where a DC had worms. Good hygiene as always helps not get them. But sharing of towels etc in a family helps spread them and share them about.

Good luck to anyone who has them. Hope it's treated soon.

Dahlietta Tue 31-Jan-17 10:22:48

What a random stealth boast.
Ha, that's what I thought! Of course it's possible never to have had them. DS is Primary age and never had either. I'm 35 and I've never had threadworm (have had nits though!)

AuntieStella Tue 31-Jan-17 10:26:38

Just count your blessings!

My DC are now secondary age, so it doesn't feel quite so much like tempting fate to say that we escaped threadworms.

But nits came round a fair few times - one school year for one DC was dreadful with repeated bouts, that stopped only at the start of the summer holidays.

JanuaryMoods Tue 31-Jan-17 10:35:03

Neither DS has ever had either, they're all grown up now. Neither have DH or I, basic hygiene prevents threadworms.

As for nits - this was in the days of Nitty Norah's regular visits where those with nits were sent home with letters telling their parents to treat them.

youngestisapsycho Tue 31-Jan-17 10:37:57

DDs 14 and 10, never had nits, which is a miracle as boy in youngest's class was riddled with them for about 2 months! No chickenpox either. The youngest has had threadworms!

dangermouseisace Tue 31-Jan-17 10:41:58

My 3 have never had worms. They all got nits once- when the eldest was 9. There is still plenty of time to get them, don't worry!

DixieNormas Tue 31-Jan-17 10:42:15

My 22 year old never had nits or worms. The 14,5 and 4 year old have all had nits.

I remember having worms when I was about 8 but I never had nits

MumBod Tue 31-Jan-17 10:43:33

18 and 16 year olds here.

Never had either of the aforementioned unlike me as a child.

Thank fuck, is all I can say.

sum1killthepawpatrollers Tue 31-Jan-17 10:52:24

i can courier you some nits over if you would like??
bloody bane of my life at the moment, costing a fortune in lotions and spending hours with the nitty gritty comb just for them to go back and get them again off the poor kids whos parents cant be bothered. and as harsh as that sounds, its true as theres 2 parents who openly state they cba to denit their kids and its dds best friends so its hard to say stay away from them

Servicesupportforall Tue 31-Jan-17 10:53:03

Mine caught nits at 10,9,2 and 1 and me too at 36! You have years yet op.

Worms none yet

BastardBloodAndSand Tue 31-Jan-17 10:54:08

You've just been lucky.

Narnian Tue 31-Jan-17 10:55:08

Mine had never had head lice either. And then we were on holiday. In a tiny caravan. In the arse end of nowhere. THEN I discovered they both had a head full of the bastards.

It'll get you when you least expect it OP!

lozzylizzy Tue 31-Jan-17 10:55:29

None of mine have yet. I never caught threadworms but got nits at 16!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now