Talk

Advanced search

Feeling proud, definitely didn't do a lot

(37 Posts)
sofiainwonderland Mon 30-Jan-17 22:19:40

Ok so.... new year, fresh start, 2017.

Fortunately or unfortunately (confused still), I went through a terrible breakup last year in October, thought he was the love of my life, been together almost 5 years. Long story short I found myself single again when I thought my life was sorted in every single away, and changed my job because I was terribly bullied and micro-managed. Oh yay, hurrrah!

Soooo.... I changed a bit of my attitude.
-I don't stress as much as I used to. That means a lot to me, because my stress levels are always high, and when I don't have something to stress about I'll stress because of that.
-I took a lot more care of myself. Chopped about 10 inches of my hair, then got another haircut in 3 months (ohhh Jeez, so responsible), I got shellac every 3 weeks, and regular pedicures
-I read 4 books already this year. My target is
-I bought myself some new books, quality clothes and... a puppy. Jeeeez that's freaking hardwork.
-booked a solo holiday to Italy.

So what have you done/planning to do to improve your life/attitude/behaviour/aspect in 2017?

sofiainwonderland Mon 30-Jan-17 22:21:14

Ohhhh!!! Forgot to mention I passed my driving test last year in December and a few days ago I drove alone, just me myself and I, two days in a row, even parked perfectly from first trygrin

AliceScarlett Mon 30-Jan-17 22:26:25

Yabu this post makes me feel ill.

DJBaggySmalls Mon 30-Jan-17 22:27:08

Thats a lot to achieve especially the driving test!
I have lost a pound. Thats actually very big deal for me, I've been crash dieting for years and my weight just kept creeping up.
I've started giving the poor neglected garden a makeover. My goal is to get half of it tidied this year.
I have bought a book...I read the blurb does that count? grin

Chloe84 Mon 30-Jan-17 22:27:33

Applied for another job! Had the fourth (yes, fourth!) interview!

Even if I don't get the job, it's spurred me on to apply for other jobs as I've realised how much I want to leave current job.

WeddingsAreStressful Mon 30-Jan-17 22:27:48

That's great! Keep it up!!

picklemepopcorn Mon 30-Jan-17 22:28:19

Uhoh about the puppy. No one really prepares you for how much work it is...

smileygrapefruit Mon 30-Jan-17 22:28:53

No, Alice YOU ABU.

Well done OP, onwards and upwards!

QueenMortificado Mon 30-Jan-17 22:29:06

Gosh, our last 6 months are very similar! I too broke up with someone I was sure id be with for a long time, have just quit my job to go travelling, started taking care of myself again

It's amazing what a refresh of attitude can do, I didn't realise how stuck in a rut I was and am much happier now. I also think it helps that I'm in my early 30s and have matured a lot since I entered in to that relationship. I too feel much more relaxed about life and more positive

QueenMortificado Mon 30-Jan-17 22:30:26

And I also passed my driving test! Well done OP! (And me grin)

SingingSandwich Mon 30-Jan-17 22:35:11

I started a PGCE in September and the paperwork is immense. I am the world's worse procrastinator and so it all crept up on me last term. This term I am way more organised and feeling a lot less stressed as a result.

I decided to start running again - although only have time for once a week at the moment because of my long hours. I had to stop in September because of all the work and the hours but have made a point of carving out some running time once a week just for me.

Well done for all the things you've achieved and sorry about the break up sad

ChocoChou Mon 30-Jan-17 22:54:09

well done OP

I've applied for a job and am eagerly awaiting a reply grin and I finally joined (and attended!) a gym
started getting my nails done regularly again and have an appointment for eyelash extensions too woo hoo
I want to start pilates, thats still on my to-do list

Screwinthetuna Mon 30-Jan-17 22:58:04

Well done, you sound like you have your shit together.

I haven't done anything to be proud of, can I start the year again

pipsqueak25 Mon 30-Jan-17 23:00:09

i've sadly discovered diabetic chocolate spread and bread sticks, i think you can guess the rest, < dh huffing due to crumbs in the bed and choccy spread round my mouth> i'm such a child grin

hollieberrie Mon 30-Jan-17 23:00:29

Good work OP.
After a terrible couple of years, so far in 2017 i have:
- Joined some Meetup groups and am starting to make some new friends
- Flirted a little bit with someone at said Meetup group and agreed to go on a date grin
- Been brave and said no to a work role that I didn't want but felt a bit pressured into accepting
Aaand thats it. Am more addicted to caffeine than ever and back on the fags, but we wont mention those things..
Singing - PGCE is tough, hang in there. Staying organised is key - good work.

Grilledaubergines Mon 30-Jan-17 23:04:33

Well done OP. I love hearing of good things happening to people. You say you "didn't do a lot". You really did. You had a change in your attitude towards yourself and I really believe that when you realise your self-worth you gain confidence and a bit of fighting spirit. Delighted for you. flowers

anothermalteserplease Mon 30-Jan-17 23:15:05

That's great. Well done especially on the driving test. Well done to the other posters who are achieving something new this year.

Ohyesiam Tue 31-Jan-17 00:08:29

Alice you're nasty.

Nice work op.

memyselfandaye Tue 31-Jan-17 00:26:15

Ignore the first reply OP
Alice is clearly the type of bitter individual who enjoys pissing on other people's chips.

Well done on passing your test. Are you still at the "OMG they have given me a licence and I can legally drive an actual car by myself" stage?

What car did you buy?

OneWithTheForce Tue 31-Jan-17 00:29:38

I just went a whole month without eating subway! grin

OneWithTheForce Tue 31-Jan-17 00:30:15

Currently working up the courage to leave my job.

ProjectGainsborough Tue 31-Jan-17 00:30:24

What a lovely thread, well done OP.

Alice what a weird thing to say.

73kittycat73 Tue 31-Jan-17 00:42:15

Well done OP! Sounds really positive. I'm planning on loosing at least 3 stones this year. Started on the 9th January, weigh in is next Monday, the 6th, so we shall see then!
I'm also planning on growing my hair this year to shoulder length. I had it cut last year and it was nothing like how I wanted it so I'm growing it out and into a choppy bob style. I'm also going to go blonde. VERY blonde. grin
I've also started painting my nails, wearing jewellery and a nice scent.
It all sounds very me, me, me but I don't usually focus on myself, everyone else comes first. So I'm going to focus on me for a change. smile

heyjude12 Tue 31-Jan-17 00:59:38

AliceScarlett did you mean to be so rude. Well done everyone! flowers

OneMillionScovilles Tue 31-Jan-17 01:01:39

I wonder whether Alice is reacting to the "definitely didn't do a lot"?

"Makes me feel ill" certainly came across as unkind. To put the best possible spin on it, maybe she's struggling herself and the OP's post sounds like getting shitloads done (as it does to me, well done OP!)

Or not... But we all lash out at times and there's a chance it's not just parade-pissing here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now