Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your book recommendations

(28 Posts)
Unicorn1981 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:02:06

I tried posting in books but got no traffic. I have £13 worth of Kobo vouchers. Please could you recommend some good books to me.

Chudney Mon 30-Jan-17 21:04:53

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty is a good read. In fact, I've enjoyed all of her books

Theyhaveallbeenused2 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:05:46

I have just finished reading while my eyes were closed by Linda green.I couldn't put it down.

goose1964 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:12:35

The Robert Galbraith (aka J K Rowling) spent 2 hours in the bath yesterday reading the cuckoo's calling, didn't want to put it down

Charley50 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:13:41

What sort of books do you usually enjoy?

Unicorn1981 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:19:16

Thanks. I have read that one and enjoyed it. And I've read Truly, Madly, Guilty which was also good.

Unicorn1981 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:21:40

I like Thrillers and mysteries with the odd bit of light hearted clever chick lit (Jill Mansell). And crime novels. I've just enjoyed a book called Clovenhoof which I highly recommend b

LordBuckley Mon 30-Jan-17 21:32:04

Have you tried the Rivers of London series?

Matilda2013 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:34:26

Disclaimer - Renee Knight

NancyDonahue Mon 30-Jan-17 21:36:35

Diane Chamberlain books are good. She's similar to Jodi Picoult.

Second Liane Moriaty. Also Kate Morton.

BusyBeez99 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:36:52

The couple next door

Unicorn1981 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:37:02

No lordbuckley but dp has read them so I have them on a shelf waiting 😃

Unicorn1981 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:47:04

Oh is that good. I wanted to read that. (The couple next door).

BusyBeez99 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:55:43

Loved it

dollydaydream114 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:58:19

If you like thrillers, crime and mysteries try:

- The Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths (the first one is called The Crossing Places - you do need to read them in the right order. If you like clever chick lit, as well as being great mysteries these do have a sort of chick lit element to them; they are also quite witty)
- The Marnie Rome series by Sarah Hilary - creepy, dark police thrillers
- Slow Horses series by Mick Herron - these are spy thrillers with great characters and smart, witty dialogue
- Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson
- Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith
- Unravelling Oliver by Liz Nugent
- I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh
- Merrily Watkins series by Phil Rickman (supernatural crime thrillers)

If you liked Clovenhoof you might also like Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman and The Devil's Detective by SK Unsworth.

Beeblossombee Mon 30-Jan-17 21:59:18

I highly recommend anything by Christopher Brookmyre for crime/thriller - everyone of his books has made me belly laugh at least once. Some you have to read in order so good ones to start would be -

Quite Ugly One Morning - first in a series about an investigative reporter who always manages to wind people enough they try and kill him.
A big boy did it and ran away - first in series about a highly trained Glaswegian tactical police officer
Where the bodies are buried - First in the Jasmine Sharpe series, she is a reluctant private detective working for her uncle
All fun and games until someone loses an eye - a stand alone book about a group of mercenaries who break into a secret high tech facility in a hollowed out volcano among other things.

Neverwhere - Neil gaimen is also worth a read (all his books are good but that one is his best imo)

The Beach - Alex Garland - diabolical film but awesome book

Girl with the dragon tattoo series is a good read

The Jack Reacher books by Lee Child are easy to read and usually a good romp

The Rats (and the sequels Lair and Domain) by James Herbert for horror. His other stuff I find merh.

The BEST book I have read in the past year by a long way has to be The Martian (okay film but pleeeeease read book first if you haven't already seen it) - I had read it in two sittings and couldn't sleep the first night after starting worrying about this guy getting off mars.

Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich - good girly fun

Still Alice - I read for a book group and wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. A woman is diagnosed with dimentia and the story is from her point of view, very well done.

I'll stop now. grin

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Mon 30-Jan-17 22:55:29

I've been recommending 'between you and me' by Lisa Hall to all my family. Shocking twist at the end that has you flicking back through the book.

seesensepeople Mon 30-Jan-17 23:00:19

I've just read The Muse by Jessie Burton - fantastic book and I enjoyed it more than her debut novel (The Miniaturist). I can't recommend it highly enough.

TheoriginalLEM Mon 30-Jan-17 23:07:44

Marking place. I am stuck reading The Essex Serpent just now and have been since before Christmas. It is written very well but my God its slow! I am probably going to give up. So looking for something light and gripping.

Lululooselips Tue 31-Jan-17 00:30:49

The woman in cabin 10, just finished that one and it's the first time in ages I've read a full book in one sitting!

LordBuckley Tue 31-Jan-17 20:20:16

I've just started "Just one damned thing after another" by Jodi Taylor, and I'm really enjoying it. Sort of sci-fi adventure stuff with lots of laugh-out-loud humour.

SingingInTheRainstorm Tue 31-Jan-17 20:23:42

Jack Reacher is meant to be really good. For thriller you also have Stephen King, who is still churning out mind bending books. Then you've got Scandanavian fiction. J D Robb has written a lot of books that DH likes.
Do you like fantasy at all, like GoT?

chibsortig Tue 31-Jan-17 20:25:11

A mothers confession by Kelly Rimmer

Southbucksoldbuffer Tue 31-Jan-17 20:28:40

Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. Crime with a magical twist
Nursery crime series by Jasper Fford. Crime with a sureal twist.
Thursday Next series by Jasper Fford. Read yourself into fiction.
Paul finch writes good crime novels.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:32:05

The Cazalet Chronicles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now