Talk

Advanced search

To try and befriend my neighbour?

(10 Posts)
ANewPerson Mon 30-Jan-17 19:50:52

I'm new, a new name on my sister's account. She said she finds mumsnet useful so hopefully you can tell me if I'm being a weirdo!!

My partner and I moved to a new house 1 year ago. We've not had much to do with the next-door-neighbours as we work long hours. We have a cat, no kids.

The people through the wall are a family from abroad - 2 sisters, each with a small child, their dad and the elder sister's husband.

Last christmas we were really surprised when the younger sister popped in on christmas eve with gifts for us. We were embarrassed as we hadn't thought to get them anything but said thank you and invited her in, but she said she had to get back to the kids. We were away for christmas and went to first foot them on new year's day. This year we did get them something at christmas- chocs and little soft toys for the kids.

Over the last year we have said hello and texted each other e.g. when I had a parcel for her. I've seen the children play with the cat which is nice. The only one who ever speaks or comes round is the younger sister.

This evening she popped round asking if I would mind signing a passport photo for her. She said she doesn't know anyone else here outside her family. I was surprised but said yes of course.

She seems really nice, and possibly a bit lonely. I always invite her in but she usually says no as she has to get back to the kids- sometimes she comes in with the kids briefly and they play with the cat. I said this evening to pop round any time and we could have coffee and to bring the kids too.

I want to try and befriend her, but I don't really know anyone with children. Would other mums find it odd that I'm inviting her and the kids over? I'd also happily babysit if she wants to get out with her family but don't know if it would seem weird to offer out of the blue! With the passport thing I didn't want to be rude and ask if she meant she didn't know anyone in the country or just the local area and she needed it done quickly!

I guess I'm just asking if I'm being weird and/or pushy and making her feel uncomfortable. Would other parents find a childless neighbour inviting them plus kids over weird?

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Mon 30-Jan-17 19:53:38

I would love the invite! But don't offer childcare in my opinion till you know her a little better.
You sound very reasonable and like a lovely neighbour, wish you were mine!flowers

BusyBeez99 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:58:43

Sounds good. I have child free friends who I often see with my DS in tow

But be careful about signing passport photos - you should really know the person for two years.....

ANewPerson Mon 30-Jan-17 20:01:43

Yikes @BusyBeez99! I did not know that, thought it was a year! I do know her though and they were definitely her pics so I hope it is OK.

At least neither of you have said I'm being weird though!

Chelazla Mon 30-Jan-17 20:41:42

You sound very nice. It's not weird to be friendly and kind.

ImperialBlether Mon 30-Jan-17 20:43:46

You actually have to say how long you've known them for on the passport application form.

georgethecat Mon 30-Jan-17 21:17:10

Aw bless you, more people need to reach out & be friendly.
I'd love a neighbour like you. My neighbour isn't nice x

mumonashoestring Mon 30-Jan-17 21:20:28

I think it sounds like a lovely idea - and I've always found getting on well with neighbours to be hugely useful for everyone concerned. And you have to start somewhere wink

donquixotedelamancha Mon 30-Jan-17 23:08:43

"I'd also happily babysit if she wants to get out with her family but don't know if it would seem weird to offer out of the blue!"

I'd bite your hand off :-) Not weird at all to be friendly with neighbours.

hefzi Mon 30-Jan-17 23:24:07

I watch a neighbour's daughter a couple of evenings a week so she can go to work - she's next door but one and we met in the street commiserating over dog muck. I think it's nice, no matter how long you've been somewhere, to try to help out neighbours if you can: go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now