Talk

Advanced search

Will I get salmonella now?

(9 Posts)
whydididothatt Mon 30-Jan-17 19:27:30

Cooking and I've just done something really stupid. I'm normally so meticulous around raw chicken I don't know why I did this. I pricked a plastic wrapper of raw chicken to cut open the packet with a knife. Then used said knife to chop cheese and vegetables and ate some as I was chopping them. Then stopped dead when I realised what I'd just done. Could I get salmonella now?

Rainydayspending Mon 30-Jan-17 19:28:43

You'd be very unlucky, the risk is low.

user892 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:51:22

Probably not salmonella, but approx 75% of raw chicken is contaminated with camphobacter.

user892 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:52:26

Sorry - camphobacter

user892 Mon 30-Jan-17 19:53:09

Arggh stupid phone - 3rd time lucky - campylobacter

RhubarbGin Mon 30-Jan-17 19:58:06

If all you did was prick the packet you'll be fine. I wouldn't think twice about it. If you actually cut the chicken with it then there's a much higher risk.

whydididothatt Mon 30-Jan-17 20:03:00

I pricked the knife into the packet and drew it along to cut the plastic but it didn't touch the chicken I don't think.

MissVictoria Mon 30-Jan-17 20:08:29

About 70 something percent of supermarket pre packed raw chicken is infected with champylobacter (sp?) and it would have been all on the inside packaging not just the actual chicken. That being said, your chances of getting ill are quite small, given the limited exposure of the knife to the chicken and the fact immune systems in healthy people should be well able to deal with a small amount of the bacteria. You'd be very unlucky if you got mild food poisoning, but the chances of anything serious are so nominally slim, and if you do start to feel ill and begin vomiting a trip to the doctors and knowing the source will probably make it quick/easy to treat.

SaucyDough Mon 30-Jan-17 20:11:33

Much more likely to be campylobacter poisoning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now