Talk

Advanced search

Home perming - expectation versus reality?

(23 Posts)
LadyIrisBarclay Mon 30-Jan-17 18:03:26

I have thick greying dark brown shoulder length hair.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have taken a blow dryer to it or any form of 'product'. Nor do I own straighteners.

My daily routine is to wash it, add a bit conditioner to the end, brush through to get the knots out and then I 'muddle' my fingers through it before allowing it to dry naturally.

Work wise, my job is very 'casual'. I'm either working from home or out in the open. No customer/client facing roles etc so I am never groomed (don't wear makeup). I often have my hair tied back as it's more practical.

This suits me down the ground as I'm a lazy cow and couldn't imagine having to style my hair each day.

Sometimes, it gets washed and brushed just before I go to bed and dries overnight while i'm asleep. Usually when I wake up the next morning I have a glorious head of bouncy waves which I love and I get lots of compliments and morning sex from DH so am keen to try and recreate this grin

I really like Claire Fraser's hair in Outlander (picture attached) - I prefer bigger, looser curls and something a bit less 'uniform'.

However I have a fucking appalling track record of getting anything right when it comes to doing anything to my body (hair, nails, eyebrows etc).

Please don't suggest I go and talk to hairdresser - I know that this would be the only sane solution but I have terrible anxiety issues and the thought of going to a hairdresser makes me feel faint.

Not sure what I'm asking really. Can you talk me out of this or alternatively share your positive stories of home perming?

Given my impulsive nature I am probably going to do this anyway so erm .... any pointers that will help me avoid complete disaster would be great! grin

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 30-Jan-17 18:05:31

I've never looked any someone and thought "great perm"...

SittingDrinkingTea Mon 30-Jan-17 18:10:44

I'm afraid this might be a more realistic outcome of a home perm...

Rubyslippers7780 Mon 30-Jan-17 18:13:20

Sittingdrinkingtea- that is a belter...please tell me this is an Internet image and not your OH...
Home perms never turn out well...my advise would be avoid.

LadyIrisBarclay Mon 30-Jan-17 18:18:13

sittingdrinkingtea - I also found that image when looking for crap examples. grin

Sugarlightly Mon 30-Jan-17 18:18:38

I think perms are often sold as low maintenance etc but actually require a lot of upkeep to maintain (but then again I've only know people to have tight perms and nothing like that picture)

downwardfacingdog Mon 30-Jan-17 18:26:16

Can't you just wash it before bed (or just wet it if it doesn't need washing) every night? Sounds a lot less risky!!

SittingDrinkingTea Mon 30-Jan-17 18:28:18

It's not my DH, but he is naturally quite frizzy grin .

LadyIrisBarclay Mon 30-Jan-17 18:30:45

I thought that was a woman in the picture? shock

SittingDrinkingTea Mon 30-Jan-17 18:31:27

I did used to work with a chap who gave himself a home perm. It looked bloody awful, he already had bleached hair so the whole thing just turned into a singed looking Brillo pad of mess. The daft thing was he completely denied having permed it, he seemed to think we'd believe he developed tight curls overnight!

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Mon 30-Jan-17 18:35:57

What you want-lovely pre raphelite corkscrews.
What you get-Crystal Tipps.

RosaRosaRose Mon 30-Jan-17 18:36:57

Oh. Please don't.

museumum Mon 30-Jan-17 18:39:54

Don't do it! There's so much skill in exactly how you roll the rollers. Unless you can get a great temporary curl with rollers yourself do not attempt a perm!

Would getting a mobile hairdresser to your home be less anxiety than going to a salon?

steff13 Mon 30-Jan-17 18:40:28

Claire's hair isn't permed, though, it's most likely curled with a big curling iron. Why not try that? Heat from a curling iron is probably less damaging to your hair than perm solution, and it's much less likely to go wrong.

BalloonSlayer Mon 30-Jan-17 18:42:23

Why can't you do the washing it before you go to bed thing every night as it gives such good results?

My mum does a good home perm but she has been doing her own for 65 years.

Patchouli666 Mon 30-Jan-17 18:43:55

You loose a lot of length with curls. My daughters hair is waist length when wet but above bra strap when dry. So if your hair is only shoulder length, you won't end up with a good look at all! You'll look Susan Boyle! I'd defo grow my hair a good bit if I was you.

statetrooperstacey Mon 30-Jan-17 18:45:00

No. Just don't. A perm is not the answer you need. And a fucking HOME perm Is a very very awful terrible idea. Even if by some absolute miracle it doesn't go dreadfully wrong And you still have some usable hair after it, it will require a fuck ton of product to maintain.
Please don't.

CiderwithBuda Mon 30-Jan-17 18:54:28

No no no no
Don't.

Perms were ok in th 80s from a salon but home perms were crap and there has been no improvement in them as they are just not fashionable now.

You'll regret it hugely.

GizmoFrisby Mon 30-Jan-17 18:57:32

As a former hair salon owner DONT DO IT 🙏

ClopySow Mon 30-Jan-17 19:00:54

Don't do it.

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 30-Jan-17 19:10:26

If the OP went to a salon what would they do to give her hair like she wants?

statetrooperstacey Mon 30-Jan-17 19:56:47

You need a curling wand or hot brush of some type.
Try putting your hair in a ponytail at the back or a ponytail right in the middle of either side of your head, split the pony tail into a couple of sections and wrap each one round a tong or wand. Very easy and looks lovely. Take the bands out afterwards obviously and ruffle through.

Wolpertinger Mon 30-Jan-17 20:03:31

If you can get that look just from drying your hair naturally overnight DO NOT DO A HOME PERM.

What you need is just a bit of gel for curly hair through your hair when wet, then dry it how you normally do. It will make those lovely curls last.

I have naturally wavy hair and can get a lot of curl by doing this (I use Boucleme gel), twirly my hair a bit and then leaving it alone to dry naturally. For more volume dry it with a diffuser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now