Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you would feel about learner drivers being parked outside your house, every flipping hour of the day

(124 Posts)
Derlei Mon 30-Jan-17 12:39:36

We live on a street that attracts a lot of learner drivers. On a normal day you can see up to 15 an hour driving past or doing some kind of manoeuvre (I actually counted! Most of the time it's the same ones going round and round in circles)

They particularly seem to like the front of our house, as we are on a corner, so they love to practice reversing into the street next to us.

I can cope with the cars going up and down the road as they have paid their road tax just as much as I have, however I'm getting irritated by the ones (of which there are many) who park up outside our house for more than 10/15 minutes a time obviously just talking about their manouvres/re-capping etc. They are doing this constantly. They don't block the entrance to our drive but are right in front of our living room window. We have huge windows so because of this we keep the blinds half drawn pretty much all day.
After being parked up for ages, the learner would then swap sides with the instructor and while they do so, they can't help but naturally glance in to our window as it's so big and they are smack bang in front of it.

Some of the learners park on the opposite side of the road to our driver which is less annoying but if I'm driving in or reversing out of the drive it can be a bit tight.

Aibu to be annoyed by this and do I just have to suck it up?? I feel like putting cones up along the length of our drive but I don't think I have a right to!

Squirmy65ghyg Mon 30-Jan-17 12:42:56

Sounds very annoying.

celeryisnotasuperfood Mon 30-Jan-17 12:45:26

Yes irritating but not a huge amount you can do.
(I would probably park my car in such a way on the road so they couldn't do it all the time when we are in)

NotCitrus Mon 30-Jan-17 12:47:07

Cars park in front of your house. Some people look into your window when going past. Really?

Grow a hedge or get obscuring film on the panes if you care that much.

aintnothinbutagstring Mon 30-Jan-17 12:48:09

Are you on a test route? I know in my driving tests, both of my manouvres were on roads my instructor had taken me many times. Complain to DVSA? They have to learn somewhere though.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Mon 30-Jan-17 12:49:45

I get a lot outside my house. My driveway links to another road and it's a popular spot as it's a rare spot in a quiet neighbourhood ideal for very novice drivers, where the visibility is good and there are few driveways and corners to obstruct. It's also a popular spot for pulling over for mobile phone calls.

I'm used to it now. I found it odd when I moved in as I'd been up the end of a cul de sac where a non-resident car was a novelty!

WaitrosePigeon Mon 30-Jan-17 12:50:53

Absolutely nothing you can do, unfortunately.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 30-Jan-17 12:51:15

Yabu it's a public road they can drive or park or do manoeuvres if they want to as long as it's legal

EIsbethTascioni Mon 30-Jan-17 12:51:39

Park there yourself?

Huskylover1 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:52:15

Park your car in that spot, surely?

SoupDragon Mon 30-Jan-17 12:54:41

Move to a private road and a house with a very long drive?

BeingEB Mon 30-Jan-17 12:54:48

YABU. Unless these learners are impeding traffic, parking across your drive, blocking you in or out, I don't see what the problem is. They can't help glancing in your window when changing sides with the instructor? Well, a glance is a glance, people glance at windows of houses as they pass by walking too. Unless they're walking up the drive, standing there with their nose pressed against the glass and pointing and laughing at your home decor I don't see the problem.

kateclarke Mon 30-Jan-17 12:55:29

They are stopping reversing round a corner being part of the test soon, so that may help a little.

19lottie82 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:56:09

Assuming you drive OP.....Were you not a learner once yourself? Did you not practise man overs outside someone's house?

holidaysaregreat Mon 30-Jan-17 12:57:25

YANBU I think that sounds annoying - but lots of people on here will say you should just suck it up as it's a public road. Maybe speak to the company - they might be prepared to change their route. They might not even have thought it would be annoying,

tinydancer88 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:57:53

Couldn't work myself up to care about this. They're doing no harm and not stopping you parking.

Everyone was a learner once.

Derlei Mon 30-Jan-17 12:58:18

Thanks

I would park our cars there but we have a big drive big enough for 3 cars and I wouldn't want to invalidate our insurance should something happen

We are thinking of planting some trees/a hedgerow, it's just annoying as our drive is fully paved with no areas for planting.

NotCitrus - save your rude response for a rude OPsmile

Cherylene Mon 30-Jan-17 13:00:35

YABU

ClaudiaWankleman Mon 30-Jan-17 13:02:22

YABU. Overly careful learner drivers stop outside your house for short periods. People glance into your windows. Cars drive up and down your road.

Where did you live previously?

FarFromFolsomPrison Mon 30-Jan-17 13:04:07

Is it just me that would really enjoy watching all this? I would wonder if they were doing their tests and if they were passing or failing.

<currently stuck on sofa gazing at very boring street apart from drunken fights in the evening>

Sandybum Mon 30-Jan-17 13:05:26

Would it invalidate your insurance if you weren't parked on your drive? You could be expecting a delivery/cleaning your drive or something?

I'd probably park so they can't turn. I can understand how annoying it would be.

Scribblegirl Mon 30-Jan-17 13:06:22

Sorry but I agree with notcitrus, I really don't think it's an issue, and if you find it to be one, you need to either move or take measures to obstruct the view.

ClopySow Mon 30-Jan-17 13:06:54

notcitrus wasn't rude.

You are being massively unreasonable.

TheMaddHugger Mon 30-Jan-17 13:07:54

OK, there is window film at auto shops etc that make the window one way. You can see out, they cannot see in. it's fairly cheep to buy

TheMaddHugger Mon 30-Jan-17 13:08:48

www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=one+way+window+tint+for+home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now