Talk

Advanced search

to think you pay for a job - when it is finished (bathroom refit)

(54 Posts)
bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 30-Jan-17 12:00:07

I have just had a bathroom refit - tiles, new bath/ loo/ sink/shower/ radiator - the works. Downstairs cloakroom we have had replaced loo and sink and we are going to have the pipework boxed in before we paint it. The fitter was very good as was the tiler but there were a few issues with when they said they would start and when they actually started (over a week delay on agreed start date - further delays once work began) I am happy with the work as a whole.

Part of the work is incomplete - we had to return the bath panel we ordered as the floor tiles came up higher than we originally thought. We had to order new shower parts as the shower has a leak (not the fault of the fitter), the boxing in will need to be done by a carpenter but it was part of the original quote. The carpenter has not been here to measure up yet and cost it himself, the plumber made a estimate himself of the probable cost and took it off our invoice.

I received the invoice on Thursday. I have received several texts and emails asking for the payment in full. Dh doesn't want to pay anything till the carpenter has been round and confirmed he can do the boxing in and when and how much. I was keen to pay half and the balance after the carpenter has been round.

After receiving another text this morning I have paid half and sent text to plumber to say the remainder would be paid on Wed. I cannot contact dh to discuss this as he is in meetings all day. Plumber responded to say that enough was taken off to cover costs of boxing in and that carpenter can do the bath panel as well and I have a voicemail from carpenter to say he can come on wed. (sub text - "pay up in full beeyatch!".

I now have two concerns - plumber said on friday he would be round to fit shower replacement parts and bath panel on tue afternoon, now panel is going to be fitted by carpenter (that is ok) but no mention of shower in latest text so is he still coming? I can't pay full cost without speaking to DH as it is not what we agreed but dh is in big important meeting all frickin day. I don't like being pestered when the job is not finished yet.

So do I respond to the pester text - risk having plumber with a shitty attitude on Tuesday or no plumber at all, pay up, or hold my position and not let it get to me? God it is a pain in the arse! I am sure the bathroom fitter feels the same way but aibu? How do I respond?

19lottie82 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:01:43

If it's a small company / self employed outfit then I'd expect to possibly pay a % upfront for materials.

19lottie82 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:02:22

But no, not the full amount. If you do that you have no come back if you're not happy with the job.

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 30-Jan-17 12:03:12

I bought the fittings etc. he supplied plumbing parts. I have now paid 50% of invoice and will pay rest in a couple of days.

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 30-Jan-17 12:04:06

But he still wants full amount now as he says the carpenters part has been taken off the invoice already.

IMissGin Mon 30-Jan-17 12:05:38

surely the rest of the work costs the same regardless of how much carpenter is? So you hold on to whatever was itemised for carpenter and pay rest - once shower is finished.

I feel your pain though, we've tradesmen in at the minute organised through one builder and it's dragging on forever. The quality of the work is great and I don't want to piss him off as we need it finished but it's being done in dribs and drabs and I'm getting stressed (35wks pg) and he keeps asking for part payment, I'd be fine if I was seeing the finish line in sight. I've now told DP we're not paying any more until it's complete.

Telfordmaybe Mon 30-Jan-17 12:06:16

Do not pay the full amount. Just send them a text to say that you will pay in full once job is finished.
The builder/plumber will know this is how it works, he's just trying his luck.

IMissGin Mon 30-Jan-17 12:06:30

We have already paid the materials etc.

Bluntness100 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:06:50

This is always difficult. I'd text back and say remainder will be paid when the job is complete to your satisfaction and then list what's to be done and don't respond further.

Welshmaenad Mon 30-Jan-17 12:10:15

If the leaking shower issue isn't sorted and he had to come back, the fit isn't finished. Tell him you will pay the balance when it is.

I just had a kitchen and bathroom refit and was asked to pay £1500 up front and the balance of each room once us signed the completion certificate and was 100% happy.

Cherylene Mon 30-Jan-17 12:13:01

I paid upfront.
The job was crap, never finished properly and the fitters went bust. The kitchen/bathroom fitters association and its insurance were crap too because I had already paid upfront.

You should always withhold a percentage at each stage until the snagging is done.

I know that but I was a returning customer, an they played me like a violin. I have learned that even if the have done a good job for you or a friend before, that you should still start at the beginnning and go through the proper steps as you would the first time you used them.

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 30-Jan-17 12:13:28

I don't know if the amount taken off for the carpenter is enough - hopefully it is. But the leaky shower is not something we want to be left with even if it is down to shoddy parts on the shower we ordered blush.

peggyundercrackers Mon 30-Jan-17 12:15:46

i would pay 90% of the invoice and tell him once the job is complete with the shower replacement you will pay the remainder.

ImperialBlether Mon 30-Jan-17 12:20:39

No, not 90%! Don't pay another penny now until it's all finished. That will get it done quicker and only once you're certain it's exactly what you want do you pay.

If you pay 90% they could easily decide to give up on the remainder and leave it as it is.

CurlsandCurves Mon 30-Jan-17 12:25:24

DH is a plumber and never asks for payment until the job is done and the customer is happy.

There have been a handful of occasions over the years where the cost of materials is massive and he's asked for some cash upfront towards that.

Don't hand over any more cash until the job is completed.

BillSykesDog Mon 30-Jan-17 12:26:06

If they did their jobs but faulty parts caused a problem which was not there fault then surely you should be paying them for the work done? Not their problem the goods you supplied were faulty so YABU to withhold payment for something not their fault. Surely you should be paying them twice for the plumbing and billing the extra time to the co who supplied the faulty shower. Sounds like you're expecting them to do extra work for free despite them not being at fault. If they're doing it free out of good will then yes you should pay up. Withholding payment until a goodwill gesture is done is not on IMO.

user1483387154 Mon 30-Jan-17 12:29:13

Do not pay it in full. I made this mistake during a bathroom refit and the builder buggered off before finishing leaving me with paying an extra 2k to finish the job and fix his mistakes.
It went to court and I won, but then he disappeared from his address and I never got the money!

museumum Mon 30-Jan-17 12:31:16

I think that you're right to wait for confirmation of the carpentry costs before paying up the outstanding balance.
In fact, surely the fitter ought to be dealing entirely with the subcontracting of the carpentry if he initially quoted including it?

However the leaky shower is not his fault and putting that right is probably an additional payment (per hour probably).

Charlesroi Mon 30-Jan-17 12:42:17

Yes, I agree the contractor is responsible for paying the carpenter as he quoted for the full job. Pay the rest of the original invoice when the work is done would be my advice.

RhodaBorrocks Mon 30-Jan-17 12:44:03

Speaking from experience of the other side - if he's a one man band or a very small set up, chances are he's demanding payment in full because he owes money elsewhere.

My XP was a slightly dodgy tradesman (he started off ok but then got really bad - one of the reasons I left him) and he would chase payments when he realised his own payments were going to bounce. This often meant he chased money before he'd finished a job, or tried to rescind on payment plans he'd agreed on.

So don't pay him! If he doesn't complete he'll have no money to pay you back. XP went under and couldn't return people's deposits and basically left the country to escape his creditors.

You offer is more than reasonable. He'll have to run his business more responsibly if he wants to keep on top of things.

amyboo Mon 30-Jan-17 12:46:30

I'm in the midst of a big bathroom refit - new bathroom, new shower room, and new flooring in 2 toilets - and I was asked to pay 40% before the work started, 40% mid-way through (paid that on Friday and they've been working at our house since 6 January), and the final 20% within xx days of the work being finished. I would take "finished" as everything is done and I'm happy with it.

I don't think YABU for witholding some payment until the remaining things are finished, but I do think it's right that you pay at least half (as you did today). To be honest, I'd be looking at paying another 25% today, and then telling him you'll pay the rest once the remaining things are fixed.

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 30-Jan-17 12:46:52

Oh god - more confused now - I get that the shower thing is not their fault - but I didn't order a faulty shower I ordered a shower and it has been found to be faulty so it is a bit muddy - as I didn't fit it - I didn't make it either. The bath panel was not my fault - the plumber was going to fit it now the carpenter is going to. The original quote made no mention of a carpenter. But now he is going to be finishing the job. So it is not clear cut - other wise I would not be so stressed about it. I do not want to stiff the fitter. I don't want to be left with a bathroom unfinished.

amyboo Mon 30-Jan-17 12:47:05

Sorry, I should add that our plumber was buying the parts himself, hence why he wanted some payment part way through - to pay for shower fittings, etc.

Cinderpi Mon 30-Jan-17 12:47:42

Wife of a builder here. Is the stuff that's left part of the quote, or stuff that you've discovered needs to be done and which the plumber didn't cause?

I'd say that if the plumber has done everything on the original quote (bar the boxing in) and had taken off the invoice the amount originally estimated for carpentry, then you should pay in full. The extra work doesn't come under that bill and needs to be billed separately. If they still have some to do, then pay most but hold back a bit until it's finished.

You'd be amazed how many people (not suggesting you did this!) add things on while the person's there then expect the price to stay the same!

bigmouthstrikesagain Mon 30-Jan-17 12:53:31

The boxing in was part of the job from the start ad to be fair the fitter has done his best - I hate it all to go sour but I feel that he has 'moved on' leaving us at risk of having the niggly little bits not being done - I also have to have dh on side before I authorise additional payment and that is not possible now - not till tonight. I am not surrendered wifey - just we have agreed costs and pay outs for this job together and I am not pleasing the plumber at the cost of marital harmony!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now