Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

About vaping?

(45 Posts)
LadyOfTheCanyon Mon 30-Jan-17 06:47:31

First off, let me just say I have no problem with people smoking/vaping. I don't myself but people are welcome to.
The other day as I was walking along, the two people in front of me exhaled massive clouds of vapour which I walked straight into.
It only then occurred to me that I was breathing in warm damp vapour almost directly from someone else's lungs.
AIBU to think that this is potentially a very easy way to spread infection?

I hope I don't sound precious - I'm more curious as to the 'science' behind it.

Sandalwearingdoglady Mon 30-Jan-17 06:50:34

Don't you do that anyway when you're breathing?

LadyOfTheCanyon Mon 30-Jan-17 06:56:02

Yes this of course did cross my mind but I wondered if there was something unique to this vapour. when people vape you can SEE the steam( because it's heated?) whereas people just breathing doesn't create visible clouds unless it's freezing.

Trifleorbust Mon 30-Jan-17 07:09:32

I find vaping grim. I know it is unreasonable of me but I can't help it.

Screwinthetuna Mon 30-Jan-17 07:38:40

I don't really know as I don't do it and don't know much about it but my husband does it and those massive clouds of vapour seem to be when he doesn't actually inhale it properly and comes straight out this mouth, rather than lungs.

Not that that's much help or answers your question at all, haha

LadyOfTheCanyon Mon 30-Jan-17 07:40:58

Tuna that's interesting, thanks.
Trifle why do you find it grim? In terms of smell I'd have thought fags were worse...

user1477282676 Mon 30-Jan-17 07:42:45

Well I vape. Better than the 30 cigarettes I used to smoke. I feel and look better but I never do it in people's faces. I treat my vape as I did cigarettes...I do it out of the way.

hollinhurst84 Mon 30-Jan-17 07:43:04

One of the ingredients in e cig liquid is antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal. So no, I wouldn't worry about it

LadyOfTheCanyon Mon 30-Jan-17 08:00:40

Hollinhurst brilliant, thank you! That seems to have answered the question!

Trifleorbust Mon 30-Jan-17 08:44:02

LadyOfTheCanyon: I just hate the smell, the sight, the intrusiveness of walking through a cloud of raspeberry mist on my way into every shop... Can't help it, I just hate everything about it.

londonrach Mon 30-Jan-17 08:51:10

I suspect It be the next health worry in 20 years as long term effects are not know. Saying that it cant be as bad a cigarettes!

hollinhurst84 Mon 30-Jan-17 08:56:22

Public health England have said its 95% safer than smoking
Cancer research support it as a much better smoking alternative

Trifleorbust Mon 30-Jan-17 10:05:59

I'm sure it is much, much healthier than cigarettes. I do wonder how many young people have started vaping when they would never have started smoking though, given the 'cool' packaging and lower risk associated with vaping.

7SunshineSeven7 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:11:43

I was in work and someone blew it in my face as I walked past, I told them it wasn't allowed inside and they said ''Its not a cigarette'' I just sort of looked at them and said ''I never thought it was, but you still can't smoke it in here.''

Idiots.

RoseGoldHippie Mon 30-Jan-17 10:15:24

I'm sure it is much, much healthier than cigarettes. I do wonder how many young people have started vaping when they would never have started smoking though, given the 'cool' packaging and lower risk associated with vaping

This is why they are now changing the packaging, I think from march so that it is plain and not so attractive

Trifleorbust Mon 30-Jan-17 10:17:27

RoseGoldHippie; Good.

RoseGoldHippie Mon 30-Jan-17 10:30:49

I agree trifleorbust

user1477282676 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:50:18

Trifle well I don't drink and I hate the fact that I'm exposed to pissed people at many social functions. I hate the smell of it and the way it makes people act.

Live and let live though eh?

FrizzBombDelight Mon 30-Jan-17 11:00:55

It's similar to when someone coughs or sneezes near me, I hold my breath and hurry by! I hate getting hit with fag smoke and vapour just as much.

Trifleorbust Mon 30-Jan-17 11:22:30

user1477282676: Where have I suggested otherwise? of course people can vape. I just said I hate it, not that vapers are a gang of cunts hmm

user1477282676 Mon 30-Jan-17 11:31:13

Well you hate the smell, sight and intrusivness of them. Same for me with alcohol.

Just saying.

Trifleorbust Mon 30-Jan-17 11:34:42

user1477282676: So I hate it, so what?

BarryTheKestrel Mon 30-Jan-17 11:35:24

People with the big tanks that produce massive clouds of vapour really annoy me.

As a vaper myself I use a small pen like one that doesn't produce the massive clouds, in fact if inhaled fully the output is hardly visible. I also don't use the strong smelling liquids as I think they are intrusive and the smell lingers for ages.
Obviously people are fully entitled to use what they want but I definitely try to be as thoughtful as possible of those who may happen to be around me when vaping.

I definitely feel much better than when I was smoking, and definitely notice a difference if I have a real cigarette on a night out in a moment of weakness.

MrsMeeseeks Mon 30-Jan-17 11:36:04

Imagine having to breathe in air that has previously been in someone else's lungs.

hmm

amusedbush Mon 30-Jan-17 11:40:21

I don't mind fag smoke (ex smoker) but I can't stand vape smoke, the smell is so strange and sweet. A few days ago I was walking behind a man who kept exhaling enormous clouds of it, so large and dense I couldn't see through it, and seemed oblivious to everyone around him confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now