Talk

Advanced search

Just had a bizzare phone call

(22 Posts)
ItsNachoCheese Sun 29-Jan-17 23:12:07

Ive just had some random number phone me and when i answered a male voice told me to stop using his wifi confused i promptly hung up but it has me baffled. I mean ive had a wifi connection in my property in my name since i moved in here over a year and a half ago. Im erring towards a wind up. But i have blocked said number anyway. On an aside the bt guy was here changing my master socket for a new one on monday surely that wouldnt of caused any bother? And ive just had another random number phone... what do i do?

AddToBasket Sun 29-Jan-17 23:14:07

Block the next number. If it is his wifi he can change the passcode - so why is he bothering to call?

ItsNachoCheese Sun 29-Jan-17 23:16:07

Ive never used anybody elses wifi it has always been my own and the code isnt given out to anybody apart from my sisters and cousin who visit. I will be phoning sky first thing tomorrow as well as ee to change my number.

ItsNachoCheese Sun 29-Jan-17 23:16:35

I have blocked all unsaved numbers on my phone now

Helloitsme87 Sun 29-Jan-17 23:17:28

It's a scam. Be wary and don't give out any personal details

ToadsforJustice Sun 29-Jan-17 23:18:29

Scam. How would he know you were using his wi-fi?

ItsNachoCheese Sun 29-Jan-17 23:20:05

Just had someone comment on my fb post that it is a prank by someone that knows me? All i said was hello when i answered but i did text the number saying to not contact me again. Perhaps i shouldnt of done

Downstairspoo Sun 29-Jan-17 23:20:37

I wouldn't go as far to change your number, if you don't answer and don't give out personal details you'll be fine

catkind Sun 29-Jan-17 23:21:34

How odd. Could it be a new variant on the 'I'm calling from Microsoft about your computer" scam? But might be inclined to at least ask him a couple of questions in case it's a genuine error or wrong number or something (without giving any of your details of course).

ToadsforJustice Sun 29-Jan-17 23:21:54

You put this on Facebook?

smirched Sun 29-Jan-17 23:22:01

you can tell if someone is using your WiFi using network analysis and check IP addresses using it etc but you would just change the password.

ItsNachoCheese Sun 29-Jan-17 23:23:28

I had put a status up saying i had had a random number phone me about the apparent using his wifi connection to see if anybody i knew had the same happen to them of late and it turns out some have

halfgirlhalfturnip Sun 29-Jan-17 23:34:08

It's a "joke" and someone you know has arranged it. My DD's friend did it to her DM and arranged a call to my DD Saying that she had hit a car. Not even slightly funny.

ItsNachoCheese Sun 29-Jan-17 23:36:57

halfgirl thats just cruel joking about that and as you say not remotely funny in the slightest

alpacawhacker Sun 29-Jan-17 23:38:49

It's a prank call. www.prankdial.com

Weepatchesoflove Sun 29-Jan-17 23:48:43

Yep, def a prank call, I didn't know about the car accident one, but there is several variations including: wifi stealing/kicking my dog. I overheard it from one of my kids watching a you-tubers channel. This is the new hilarious thing that some of them do.

MunchMunch Mon 30-Jan-17 01:38:59

Yes it's definitely a prank call, ds1 let me listen to the recording of his friend being pranked (my ds1 didn't arrange it btw)

Changednamesorry Mon 30-Jan-17 01:44:48

Prank call
Definitely

Littlefrogletx Mon 30-Jan-17 01:50:55

With the prank dial is it likely they would be emailing as well, or is a matter of what the oh so funny prankster enters and submits?

Meridien Mon 30-Jan-17 03:24:38

It does sound like a scam if it’s suddenly started happening and you’ve been using this service for over a year. I guess if you’d let them speak a bit more they’d be offering to come round and fix it for a fat fee. I wouldn’t worry too much. But if you are letting guests use your wifi connection you absolutely should have a wifi router with a separate channel for guests, with its own password. Then you change the password after each guest has gone home. Sounds paranoid I know, but it isn’t. I have the scars and an ex-friend who preyed on my trust.

LouisevilleLlama Mon 30-Jan-17 03:55:39

My poor aunt suffered from Psychosis and kept ringing up throughout the night sporadically worrying about the wifi and people monitoring us. Not necessarily a prank but I would say in general nothing to worry about if it is a prank or scam.

languagelearner Mon 30-Jan-17 04:57:01

He caller should be told to change his wifi key. You (or anybody else) can't use it without the key, I presume. (At least not us normal folks who don't know how to hack computers and such...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now