Talk

Advanced search

and completely overthinking something minor?

(9 Posts)
Saxa Sun 29-Jan-17 21:17:37

DP and I were supposed to go for dinner at his parents this evening. We were having a bit of a carry on winding each other up beforehand but he got fed up and snapped at me a bit.
He went to the shop (about 2 mins walk) but was gone for ages and well past the time he had said we were going to his parents. I messaged him to see what he was doing and he said he wanted peace.

I waited a bit longer then decided to put DS to bed, assuming DP had gone to his parents alone as they live a short walk away and he had hinted at this before.

DP came back shortly after, assuming I'd be ready to leave. I told him to go round while I waited home with DS but he said he didn't want to walk.

His dad then arrived in the car and had brought our dinner round to us as DP had messaged saying I had put DS to bed and wouldn't be coming.

I'm now worried his parents will think I'm a bit of a madam- putting DS to bed when we'd agreed to go over then expecting a dinner delivery.

There is no way I'd ever expect them to run around after me like that, and appreciate how kind it was of them to do so. I have social anxiety and am very conscious of what other people think of me, DPs parents are very good to both of us and I don't want them to think I'm taking the piss!

Am I overthinking it? I'm not sure whether to text and explain or just to leave it.

DeathStare Sun 29-Jan-17 21:20:48

I'd text and apologise saying that there had been some miscommunication and leave it at that.

Imamouseduh Sun 29-Jan-17 21:21:37

It depends on what you were winding each other up about? Where you arguing about whether to go or not?

Saxa Sun 29-Jan-17 21:24:15

Winding each other up as in carrying on, laughing, chasing each other etc. Definitely not arguing but he just changed his tune quite abruptly when he had had enough.

Saxa Sun 29-Jan-17 21:46:53

I don't want to text and sound petty like I'm trying to make DP look bad.

StealthPolarBear Sun 29-Jan-17 21:48:23

Can you send a text along the lines of "dinner was delicious, really appreciated it"?

pinkiepie1 Sun 29-Jan-17 22:10:10

See I would obsess about this, im like you, but for my piece of mind I would send a quick msg just saying thanks so much for dinner, really appreciated it and didn't expect it. Sorry we didn't make it but will defo come next time as planned....
Something like that.

Saxa Mon 30-Jan-17 13:56:24

We eat with them regularly, which is lovely and I always thank them. I just don't want them to think I'm taking the piss or was being rude and just not showing up. DP has a tendancy to be very vague with details so I don't think he'll have explained properly.

BastardBloodAndSand Mon 30-Jan-17 14:07:47

I'd visit with ds and take some nice cakes / chocolates and flowers as a thank you for all they do for you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now