Talk

Advanced search

To ask what contraception you use??

(56 Posts)
Belle89 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:56:33

I like the simplicity of the idea of the pill but having tries microgynon 30 have had nothing but problems with it. It made me continuously nauseous, headaches and irregular cramping.
Have previously had the implant with similar issues and the merina coil which moved and caused awful pain.
It seems I struggle with most, is there an alternative pill brand I should ask for?
Average weight, good blood pressure no family history or heart issues etc.

UrethaFranklin Sun 29-Jan-17 21:00:31

There are loads of different pill types, ask your GP if you can try a different one. Im on cerazette which suits me but it might not be for everyone.

smu06set Sun 29-Jan-17 21:03:19

Mirena for the last 2/3 years and love it - sounds like you had bad luck with yours. I love having minimal periods smile

katiegg Sun 29-Jan-17 21:03:56

I've been using microgynon 30 for about eight years and don't have any problems with it, but a lot of my friends have had issues with it. There are other types of pill available, I think microgynon is generally the one GP's start with before trying others.

Anothermoomin Sun 29-Jan-17 21:04:15

Vasectomy - bloody brilliantgrin

Sorry to be unhelpful.

Belle89 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:06:54

Anothermoon one day! Though may have objections to that one haha
Used to take microgynon before my child without problems but now it seems my body won't accept it

FinallyDebtFree Sun 29-Jan-17 21:07:51

Copper coil here, has been fabulous as I can't have hormonal contraceptives.

SparklyLeprechaun Sun 29-Jan-17 21:08:07

Cerazette and I love it.

Catsarefluffy Sun 29-Jan-17 21:09:34

None

Anothermoomin Sun 29-Jan-17 21:11:34

Belle89 don't give up hope. My DP ran down to the GP and begged when I explained condoms were the other option. Until then other posters will be more use than me.

Belle89 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:11:58

FinallyDebtFree why can't you have hormonal contraception if you don't mind me asking? Wondering if I'm the same as end up feeling so ill, or if it's just a case I havent found the right one. Feel like I've tried and not got on with almost everything on offer.

PacificDogwod Sun 29-Jan-17 21:13:19

Copper coil - love it!

Previously I have been on various combined pills (no problems) and had an implant for a few years (no problems).

I must be one of the lucky ones - now perimenopausal and only had about 3 or 4 periods in the last 12 months grin

perhapsiwill Sun 29-Jan-17 21:14:26

Another one for the brilliant vasectomy here. Never have to think about it.!

FinallyDebtFree Sun 29-Jan-17 21:16:53

belle they make me crazy, fat and just generally ill. I tried every single one before my Dr said you and hormonal contraceptives really don't get on do you? Since that day he fitted the copper coil and I'm a different human being

LexieSinclair Sun 29-Jan-17 21:17:11

I have never got on with hormonal contraception either and I have a copper coil which I love. No side effects and I never have to think about it.

BeachyKeen Sun 29-Jan-17 21:17:36

I used a combination of birth control pill/ then depo/ then the pill along with condoms and timing. I liked the pill for simplicity, but it didn't suit me. I was moody as fuck. The depo made me gain a ton of weight. I tried the pill again at lower dose, but I still wasn't comfortable on it for long term.
I was super fertile, so dh had the snip at 22. (We'd already had our kids by then) so haven't had to worry since then

SherlockPotter Sun 29-Jan-17 21:18:16

I have the implant (have done since 2012), before that I was on the Depo for three years

HandbagFan Sun 29-Jan-17 21:18:29

Cerelle (cheaper pill like cerazette). No periods. Brilliant.

TheseAreTheGoodOldDays Sun 29-Jan-17 21:18:52

I was prescribed Microgynon too when I first went on the pill (many moons ago!)

It didn't agree with me either OP, same kind of symptoms as you, the headaches and nausea especially were awful. After 3 months I went back to the GP who prescribed me Femodette which is great, and I've been on that since smile

If you are wanting to stay on the pill definitely go back to your doctor and ask to try a different one. Hope you find one that suits you soon!

TheNewMrsGerardButler Sun 29-Jan-17 21:21:24

Currently pregnant but prior to that I was on Microgynon for several years without complaints until the few months. In hindsight though, I think that was more in relation to IBS and my body reacting to an attempt at going vegan (long story). Used condoms for 9 months before TTC. I'll try the Pill again after having the baby as we want one more then we'll look at more permanent options.

Belle89 Tue 31-Jan-17 10:19:08

Thanks everyone won't give up hope on finding another pill that suits just yet. Called for a doctor's appointment and there's a 3week wait!

uglyswan Tue 31-Jan-17 10:35:44

Condoms.

TheOnlyWayIsMN Tue 31-Jan-17 11:25:29

Condoms for the last 3 years without any problems.

Babyblade Tue 31-Jan-17 12:04:36

Another IUD/coil fan - fit and forget, no hormones smile

user892 Tue 31-Jan-17 12:12:20

Natural family planning, done 100% properly by long term monitoring of temps, cervix position and mucus. Plus condoms for my fertile week.

Would quite like to be sterilised but can't completely guarantee I won't randomly want another child in my 40s.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now