Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not know what to pack?

(11 Posts)
madcatsforever Sun 29-Jan-17 20:31:32

Hi

I'm going to have a hysterectomy on 6th Feb and have no idea what I need to take.

I have pyjamas and toiletries.

I'll be in for 3-5 days, will I be well enough to get bored or will I be out of it sleeping? Do people take kindles/ iPads etc into hospital? I'm assuming there's nowhere secure to leave things when you're asleep/ away from your bed?

I've only stayed in hospital once and was in overnight, up and ready to leave by 9am. Anxiety is really kicking in for a longer stay and really don't know what to expect :/

trinity0097 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:37:55

Phone, iPad, kindle, charger etc, baby wipes, tissues, snacks, squash if you don't like just water, magazines, dressing gown, slippers, cash if you want to buy things from the trolley. You can always get DH to bring electricals once you are out from the operation if you are concerned about security. When on th ward you won't ever go far unless they wheel you for an eps-ray type thing, and you can always pop your electricians on your bed to take with you then.

Will you be OK with PJs after a hysterectomy? Would a big nightie be more comfy at first so nothing presses on wounds? Not sure where they cut though, but if it'a near a waistband it may be sore.

MrsHathaway Sun 29-Jan-17 20:47:07

I was on gynae ward when I had a mmc and the rest of the bay were in for hysterectomies. They were all in pretty good spirits but not very mobile. Stuff to do, money for the tv card, layers for sitting up in bed in case it isn't boiling, nice soft drinks and snacks.

RandomWordsandaNumber5 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:49:40

Ear plugs and a sleep mask - Hospitals can be noisy.
Slippers and dressing gown. Definitely nightgowns (plural) as they do get easily soiled.
Anti-bacterial hand wash.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

madcatsforever Sun 29-Jan-17 20:53:59

Ah thanks smile

I didn't consider nighties, probably they would be best.

Thank you for the replies, lots of things I hadn't considered there flowers

trinity0097 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:57:01

Oh and a pen to fill out your food requests each day, the wards I were on they always presumed you had your own pen, cos of course that's what I thought to bring with me when going to a and e at 10pm in severe pain and about to vomit!!!

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Sun 29-Jan-17 20:57:31

When my Mum had hers she took

Nightie
Slippers
Snacks, quite a few snacks
Bottle of squash
Book or magazines
Money ( change)
Phone charger
Baby wipes/face wipes

Blankiefan Sun 29-Jan-17 21:04:46

Take lip balm and hand cream - it can be quite drying in the aircon all the time.

Buggerlugs123 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:05:21

Don't forget to take comfy loose clothing to go home in-I was really swollen.

justilou Mon 30-Jan-17 04:39:31

Definitely a nightie or two. PJ's are not overly comfortable after surgery like this. I would take a long and a short-sleeved one so you are not too hot or cold.
Slippers - because you will be up and schlepping around the ward (and feel better for it) sooner than you think.
Flip flops for the showers.
Kindle/iPad/mobile
Toiletries
Snacks are definitely a good idea (because hospital food is 🤢)
Lip balm and hand cream
Sanitary pads are recommended (although I didn't really bleed - panty liners would have done the trick, but everyone's different)

Good luck... I hope it comforts you to know that I had one very young (34) and the recovery was much easier than I expected. Can't say I've felt less of a woman for not having periods (it's sooooo liberating!). You will be back to your own self very soon. 🌷🌷🌷

madcatsforever Mon 30-Jan-17 16:39:30

Justiloo

Thank you for your reply smile

I'm also 34 and childless so this is the end of a long and painful journey. It's comforting to feel that I'll be able to move forward sooner rather than later as most reports ive heard have been very much doom and gloom.

The periods I've been having for the last couple of years have been nothing short of horrific so I definitely won't miss them lol.

Thanks again for replying xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now