Talk

Advanced search

To think my tenant has a right to privacy

(16 Posts)
Fianceechickie Sun 29-Jan-17 18:54:39

Okay, bit of an odd one. I've fallen out with my mum. I am currently selling my little rental house and she is an estate agent so is acting for me for very cheap rate. I have a buyer and he wanted to come for a second viewing yesterday at 10. My tenant can be very awkward at times but only in the sense that she's super aware of her rights and is will stand up for herself even when not needed. She's been reasonably co operative with the selling process so far but I've had to go significantly out of my way to work round her. Anyway she wasn't keen for the viewing at that time as she's working full time, arranging a move to the other side of the country etc but according to my mum, the buyer could not compromise on the time so eventually I got her to agree. Last night though, my mum told me in passing that he was bringing his two teen boys as well. I was pretty annnoyed that she'd put me in an awkward position with the tenant who would be at the house when I took the buyer to view, I told her that she may well not agree and she should have told me/her sooner. Tenant is a very private person in indeed. Mum got really cross and argued that the tenant had to allow it and the buyer had a right to go, I shouldn't even ask her etc. Luckily I did ask her and she agreed but then when I turned up he had brought his mum as well. IMO it was too much, I might have been quite cross myself as the tenant. I had to ask his mum to stay in the car in the end and one of the kids wanted to take photos! Now mum not speaking to me so I'll probably have to apologise!! Any views from tenants out there? How would you feel?

TartanTrousers Sun 29-Jan-17 18:58:50

It's quite long - are you saying prospective buyer brought his 2 sons and his mum for a (second?) viewing and you're not happy about that?

If I've got that right then yes, YABU.

Yes the tenant has rights but if it's a family home then you should expect for a family to come and view it.

ImperialBlether Sun 29-Jan-17 18:58:53

If I was selling and your mum allowed this I'd be furious! It would be different if it was a second viewing, but first time lookaround? No.

Notapodling Sun 29-Jan-17 18:59:11

Hmm, the extra people wouldn't bother me. Photos either, tbh if there was a good reason. I do like plenty of notice though if I have to let someone in as I work full time. Is she happy for you to show them round without her if she has enough notice?

Chloe84 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:02:59

Your mum sounds very childish and more hinsurance than help. I would ditch her for another agent if she continues this behaviour.

Chloe84 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:03:30

Hindrance. Shitty iPhone shitty keys.

CaptainHammer Sun 29-Jan-17 19:04:29

You're doing the right thing in my view.

"Mum got really cross and argued that the tenant had to allow it and the buyer had a right to go, I shouldn't even ask her etc."
I thought tenants had the right to saying no viewings at all? That's what I was told when our old landlord sol but maybe it's different now.
I remember the estate agents he used dropping in with people to view when we hadn't been informed, one time 6 members of the family had come to view it! I let them in but felt really uncomfortable about it. Looking back now I wish I'd told them no!

CaptainHammer Sun 29-Jan-17 19:05:08

*sold not sol.

Athome77 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:14:49

Think you need to start thinking like a seller, of course someone will want their family to look around the house, I've been for second viewings and dragged my mum along, and kids. She's hopefully not going to be your tenant much longer....

Ilovecaindingle Sun 29-Jan-17 19:19:46

Unfortunately you are stuck with dm tho!!

Ncbecauseitshard Sun 29-Jan-17 19:19:53

Pictures are not on when the tenants things are in the house.
But it is very normal to bring the family to a second viewing. The problem was not insisting on a mutually convieniant time for it.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 29-Jan-17 19:22:43

You sound like a good landlord. Your DM sounds pushy and not entirely empathetic. The tenant's home is being sold.

And teens taking pictures? Just no.

Hellmouth Sun 29-Jan-17 19:23:27

I think you are right, your tenant has the right to privacy and has already been very accommodating. I personally would say no to viewings as we have a 7 month old and any little thing can ruin his routine. Also, it might be the landlords house, but it is my home. I wouldn't want strangers traipsing through and taking pictures whenever they want.

DeathStare Sun 29-Jan-17 19:32:31

Hmmmm....... I think you are both being a bit unreasonable.

Yes you were right to ask the tenant about the viewing and to agree a time, rather than just tell her.

However I think bringing the family is reasonable (and to be expected, to be honest). Your tenant didn't know the names and numbers of viewers on each viewing, so it doesn't really make a difference to her. I think asking his mum to stay in the car was unreasonable and could easily have lost you a buyer.

I think though that asking the kids not to take photos was reasonable. Your tenants belongings would be on those photos and the photos aren't necessary

Fianceechickie Sun 29-Jan-17 20:10:20

Sorry I should have added that he is already well along with purchasing the house from me. It wasn't the. bringing the family I was annoyed about it was more me not knowing and being able to give her more notice. I didn't think he would as as far as o knew he was single and buying it to live alone but turns out kids will be there at weekends. Have told him that once she leaves in two weeks he can go whenever with whoever.

MakingMyWayThroughTown Sun 29-Jan-17 21:34:50

As an estate agent your mum should know that the tenant does not 'have' to allow viewings to go ahead while she is still within her tenancy.
Yanbu for being cross at your mum.
If a tenant expressly states that you cannot access the property then to do so would be trespassing. Also, if the tenant is packing and moving in 2 weeks then I'd imagine she is very stressed, if she is expecting just you and the purchaser and more people turn up she has a right to be annoyed about it.
Estate agents have a habit of discarding a tenants wishes when they're selling a tenanted property, which can cause problems in the long run.
I hope everything goes okay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now