Talk

Advanced search

To ask your experiences of mirena?

(32 Posts)
MynyddoeddEryri Sun 29-Jan-17 18:19:33

Posting here for traffic really. I'm having a mirena coil fitted at 9 am tomorrow and reading up on it there are some awful horror stories and I'm starting to doubt myself. I had one about 18 months ago and it ended up coming out. I'd had it for about 6 months and during that time it was fantastic, I had no periods and no adverse side effects. It was amazing, that is to say until the night it decided to come out and oh my goodness I have never felt pain like it!

I can't use other hormonal contraception as it really affects my moods and makes my depression a lot worse. I've tried the copper coil and my periods were so painful and very heavy. I feel like mirena is amazing but the horror stories scare me. I'm being stupid aren't I and it'll be fine. Also whenever I see my mum she keeps telling me about all her friends / acquaintances who got pregnant on the coil but she can never remember if it was copper or mirena - not particularly helpful tbh.

Please reassure me (or not) with your experiences of it.

milkmoustache Sun 29-Jan-17 18:23:27

I have only good things to say about the mirena, it's great not having periods, no side effects whatsoever, and I have used mine happily for about 6 years. Was there any explanation for why yours suddenly caused a problem after 6 months?

SwearyGodmother Sun 29-Jan-17 18:26:41

My experience was mixed. My first one was amazing. I had it put in after 6 months on cerazette and aside from some discomfort when it was fitted and mild period type pains for a few hours afterwards it was a dream. I didn't gain weight, get acne, get migraines etc and I didn't have a single period for the four years it was in. Some people have linked them to depression but I think my depression was actually improved whilst on it (though I'm not ascribing that to mirena, more to significant MH treatment). I had it removed because DH had a vasectomy and I no longer needed it.

After I had it removed I realised how unpleasant my periods could be so elected to have another one fitted. I bled every day for 6 months before I had it removed, though it now turns out I have fibroids (and bleed every day anyway) so I suspect the fibroid was the problem rather than the mirena. I think if there's a possibility you have any gynae issues it's probably best to get scanned first as there are a fair few stories on fibroid threads on here of people struggling with or expelling their mirena, and given you've rejected one once I'd prefer to know why if I were you.

My gynaecologist wants me to have another one fitted after my fibroids are removed but will fit it with ultrasound scan guidance - is that what they're doing for you? He seemed horrified that the local family planning clinic just shoved it in.

RevealTheHiddenBeach Sun 29-Jan-17 18:28:16

I've had mine for 2 and a half years and I love it. Was previously on the pill which made me emotionally unstable, much better now on the mirena. I know there are some horror stories but I think they are a vocal minority!

queenofthebucket Sun 29-Jan-17 18:28:22

I had one for about 6 months and experienced constant spotting, which was bearable, and weight gain. Also my boobs became about two cup sizes bigger and rock hard as if I was pregnant.

I am on my second one, and have had no problems with them at all.

It might be worth doing an advanced search - there are quite a few threads on mirena coils so you could get more info much faster than waiting for responses on here.

steff13 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:30:46

I got pregnant on it, then had a horrible miscarriage on it, during which the Mirena came out, along with all the other "stuff."

celeryisnotasuperfood Sun 29-Jan-17 18:34:03

I'm about 3 months into having it after my 2nd child. I did seem to have quite a bit of spotting- but thats tailed off now. To be fair I don't know how much now as it's not enough to need pads but I'm still wearing dark pants and it's not noticeable on them.
No obvious side effects - am a bit down but I think that's sleep deprivation because my baby has reverted to newborn sleeping patterns rather than putting it down to the small amount of hormone.
Only thing I can think of is that by the end of the day I feel like there's a bit of a smell and when I asked gp if I had bv she suggested it might be down to the coil. As I shower daily it's not a problem but that's the only downside I can think of.

RamsayBoltonsConscience Sun 29-Jan-17 18:34:47

I have nothing but positive things to say about Mirena. I had mine fitted two years ago and it almost instantly solved all of my horrendous period problems. I had spotting for about three months after it was put in but previous to that I had been bleeding so heavily for three months without stopping that they nearly gave me a blood transfusion, I was so anaemic. I have had horribly, painful periods all of my life and now I have no discomfort at all. I only wish someone had suggested this earlier. I'm 45 now and am hoping to carry it through the menopause and out the other side if I can.

MrsTarzan1 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:34:59

I bled heavily and after a few weeks they scanned me and it'd fallen out!

SilverMachine Sun 29-Jan-17 18:35:53

I'm on my second one so have had a Mirena for around 8 years. My experience has been very positive - no periods and once it's been fitted, no worrying about contraception for 5 years at a time. I've had no side effects. I fell pregnant on the pill but so far the Mirena has been pretty reliable!

I had mine fitted at a family planning clinic by an experienced gynaecologist so the fitting was relatively painless. I would definitely recommend this if this service is available in your area. Good luck with whatever you decide to do smile

MynyddoeddEryri Sun 29-Jan-17 18:36:44

steff that sounds horrendous. I'm so sorry you went through that.

There's been no explanation whatsoever as to why it fell out, which seems a bit off. As far as I'm aware they're just going to fit it as normal tomorrow. I saw the drop in clinic at the hospital who went through my family history etc, seemed okay with everything and then after a pee test for infections and pregnancy referred me to have one fitted. I've now finally had my appointment through tomorrow.

I think it'll be a discussion point though before I let them fit it about why it may have come out in the first place and am I at risk of a second one coming out.

identityhidden Sun 29-Jan-17 18:37:41

I found it a complete bustard (sorry) . I had it admitted in hospital though and have other health issues anyway. I was poorly after and for the whole 2 years I had it. Eventually blacked out and they whipped it out. GP had one fitted same time as me though and loves it, says her fibroids are much easier to cope with, no heavy bleeding or fainting and no longer needing surgery (she's the only other person I know of with one).

Iris65 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:38:39

I have not had any problems with my Mirena this time around. Two years ago I had to have the Mirena removed because I had endometritis, but other than that no problems before or since.

Iris65 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:39:30

Should add I had fitted for heavy periods and it has been great.

identityhidden Sun 29-Jan-17 18:39:37

A Bustard , haha, you know what I meant to type!

chosenone Sun 29-Jan-17 18:45:14

I'm negative unfortunately. Insertion fine. Few weeks of brown gunky discharge not great. Then i thought it had all settled down .. Then i started to feel nauseaus in the morning, tender boobs and tired all the time! Like the first trimester of pregnancy ... all the time! I did so many tests. The headaches became daily and often turning into debilitating migraines. I saw the doctor for the lethargy and headaches and ended up having all sorts of tests and anti d suggested. DH had the snip so odecided to have it removed (itnhad mugrated into my womb and had to be done in hospital) within a week i felt great. Not had a migraine since and barely had a headache. Feel much happier, healthier and energetic off it. See how you go but please be aware flowers

steff13 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:46:37

Thanks. I didn't know I was pregnant, of course, so it was quite a shock. I got up for work, and it happened, and I wasn't sure what to do, so I put everything in a bag and put it in the spare fridge, and went on to work. I had clients scheduled, and I was so surprised I wasn't sure what else to do. I took the bag to my gynecologist, and he confirmed the miscarriage.

RubyRetro Sun 29-Jan-17 18:47:17

Love it and apart from the initial first few months of settling in, it's been the best thing for me and no periods is an absolutely beautiful bonus.

BlueClearSkies Sun 29-Jan-17 18:51:37

I hated it for the first three months, lots of bleeding and bad spots. Then it cleared up and was fine. I still had periods every 28 days.

I have now had it in 7 years and the threads have gone and GP can't get it out. Trying to ignore it but I do have to see someone to take it out.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 29-Jan-17 19:32:22

Had mine for 5 years, just waiting for it to be changed. I do have periods with it but they are very light. Previously they were very heavy. My LMS used to be severe and that's so much better too.

Love the Mirena.

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 29-Jan-17 19:38:15

No periods on mine. Painful for the first 6 weeks but not at all since. I've had it 4. years now so starting to think about changing it. I have started to get a bit of ragey PMT (with no bleeding).

BubbleWrapQueen Sun 29-Jan-17 19:39:56

I'm on my second here with nothing but praise as well. Love mine.

Olswitcharoo Sun 29-Jan-17 19:42:37

I have had mine 18 mths and it's great. No side effects at all. My periods are lighter and I get less cramping pain.

Nan0second Sun 29-Jan-17 19:46:56

On my third here. Bloody brilliant and one of the best things in my life(!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now