Talk

Advanced search

To apply for the same job twice?

(16 Posts)
CiBi Sun 29-Jan-17 17:55:35

I am currently looking for a new job, as I love what I do but hate where I work.

A few months ago, I saw a local job which I felt matched my skills perfectly and that I would really enjoy.

But I didn't even get an interview, which I was quite surprised at as I felt I met most - if not all - of their criteria.

A couple of months on, and I've just seen the same job advertised again. Which makes me think they haven't found anyone suitable.

I really, really want this job. And I know I'd be good at it.

WIBU to apply again? Would that be weird?

Or should I contact them and ask for feedback as to why I wasn't successful last time and reiterate how I think i would be a good fit? How would you word this?

Or am I deluded...?

MWM Sun 29-Jan-17 17:56:27

I think I'd apply again. It shows you're keen.

KellyBoo800 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:57:07

You have nothing to lose.

Be prepared to show how you have grown and developed since the last time you applied.

Good luck!smile

insancerre Sun 29-Jan-17 17:58:06

Just apply again
Where I work we don't keep cvs after shortlisting
It's possible you didn't make the shortlist last time but might this time

TheCatsWhiskers Sun 29-Jan-17 17:58:20

Apply again, what have you got to lose?

Good luck smile

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sun 29-Jan-17 17:59:25

I applied for my job three times blush they didn't find a member of staff who stayed more than two months, third time lucky I've been there almost four years! Go for it. The worst they can do is turn you down again nothing to lose.

Best of luck!

DeathStare Sun 29-Jan-17 18:00:25

Just apply again. But if you don't get it this time, ask for feedback straight away. A few months later they aren't likely to be able to give you feedback

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Sun 29-Jan-17 18:02:11

I'm applying again smile. Good luck if you do!

CiBi Sun 29-Jan-17 18:03:11

Thank you all! Weird thing is, I usually set my sights on a job I want and get it. But this is the third job that I've seen advertised again after I've been rejected... starting to think it's me!!

Yellowbird54321 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:03:54

Is there a named person on the job advert you could contact for more info / an informal chat about the role? If so how about giving them a ring, then play it by ear whilst you're on the phone about whether to say you've applied before and would it be okay to apply again / what is it they are looking for type of thing?
Good luck.

donkey86 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:05:16

It's quite common where I work - one of my colleagues applied twice to get the job, and another one took three attempts. You may as well go for it!

Yellowbird54321 Sun 29-Jan-17 18:06:23

Just read your update OP - I wonder why the job keeps being re-advertised?
This could be something else you could (diplomatically) ask about too.

CiBi Sun 29-Jan-17 18:09:24

Ooh I'm starting to feel hopeful - thank you for your encouragement! I'm so unhappy where I work at present and don't want to be so miserable on a daily basis if I don't have to be.

The new job looks fun, challenging and like it would give me real prospects - something that working at my current company definitely doesn't do.

PLUS, I currently work in the same office as DP and am getting a little sick of his (lovely and kind) face grin

Lazyafternoon Sun 29-Jan-17 18:19:01

Apply again. Definitely.

But I would say to make every effort to try and find out more about the position. Phone up and speak to the department. I probably would try phoning HR too if big enough company. Ask what they are looking for.

You'll also need to re do your CV. Write a different covering letter any personal statement etc.

The jobs I've been most surprised in getting (where I wasn't sure if my skills matched) were where I write my covering letter/supporting statement basically going through the essential list of attributes and write a paragraph with evidence/experience for each one. Then more briefly for the desirables etc. Use words they use in the advert/ job description too.

Oh and course make sure you triple check spelling, grammar, typo's etc and follow any instructions exactly - so if they say don't send a CV - don't send a CV. If they say include a covering letter - include one. If they say black pen, block capitals etc make sure you do it! My last job they told me that out of 100s of applications most just got thrown out for errors and not submitting what was asked for!

Itsallabitcrazyhere Sun 29-Jan-17 18:29:35

Is it direct or through an agency?

Applied for a role via an agency and told that they weren't interested. Had a sneaky feeling something wasn't right (at the time, I had very specific in demand skills in a geographical area where they were very rare) so had at least expected an interview. Applied direct, a week later I had the job - offered it within the interview itself.

If you think you have the skills, are confident and want it - absolutely go for it. Perhaps look at CV layout and content to make sure you are applying your experience effectively to the role requirements. Lots of managers need help interpreting CV's well - so make it as easy as possible for them to put you in the interview pile.

Heaps of luck!

CiBi Sun 29-Jan-17 19:09:15

It's direct - the head office of a large retailer (I have worked for one before). The application is all online I think - and the job description is very detailed and lengthy so I am going to have to spend some considerable time reading it and digesting it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now