Talk

Advanced search

To be really annoyed at the NHS today?

(154 Posts)
BlueNeighbourhood Sun 29-Jan-17 14:39:16

As a first point, I want to say how awesome the police are...which I'm sure will become apparent in this thread.

My brother was out last night at a local pub with his friends, he wasn't too drunk, just merry and decided to leave around 9pm to get a taxi home. Somehow from leaving the pub he's tripped and fell into the road, smashing his face up and some damage to his foot. Fortunately a police riot van was passing and found him in the street, picked him up and took him straight to the local walk in centre. They stayed with him right until me and my parents got there last night (my parents had both had a glass of wine with dinner so didn't want to drive).

So at the walk in, we were told they wouldn't even clean up the wound on his face or X-Ray his foot, he should go to hospital. They told us we should take him as an ambulance would be a 90 minute wait. At this point he's quite concussed and struggling to stay awake. So I drove straight to hospital.

In A&E it's two flights of stairs and along a corridor in a temporary box room while waiting for a new one to be constructed. Poky, too hot and very much squished in. It then took two hours to be seen by a triage nurse followed by another two hours to see a nurse who said she couldn't do anything and needed to wait for a doctor who wasn't available.

All the while the room is getting more and more full, he's complaining of headaches and pain in his foot and wants to sleep. In the end at 3.30am we took him home and my Mum watched over him all night while he slept to make sure he was okay.

It just seems so fundamentally wrong in there, it was an accident and he's been in hospitals for more than four hours without someone as much as taking some cotton wool to his face. No help whatsoever! But I have to say the police in all of this were so kind and great. It's just the NHS was a complete let down.

And breathe...rant over!!

nancy75 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:44:16

So you waited 4 hours and then left? It was A&E on a Saturday night, everyone knows they are busy and you have to wait. If they kept you waiting it was because other people were in more need than your brother

YouTheCat Sun 29-Jan-17 14:46:09

Don't be angry at the nhs. Be angry at this government that has cut funding so much that they are putting lives at risk.

CripsSandwiches Sun 29-Jan-17 14:46:13

Sounds like a horrible experience. The problem is that we're removing funding from the NHS and on weekend night A&E departments are war zones. Lots of alcohol induced injuries, fights, staff suffering abuse and having to deal with drunken behaviour.

On the plus side your brother was seen, is presumably going to be fine and he isn't stuck with hundreds of pounds worth of bills as an excess to his insurance claim as he would be without the NHS.

Hercules12 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:46:46

YAbu. 4 hours is nothing and actually he ended up fine without seeing anyone. Watch the hosptial programme to get an idea of what the NHS are up against.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 29-Jan-17 14:47:52

YABU they were obviously really busy and unable to deal with a non-urgent case such as your brother. That is the state of the NHS.

SparkleShinyGlitter Sun 29-Jan-17 14:48:50

On a Friday/Saturday night A&E will always be busy due to many drunken accidents/fights/stupidity

A&E also sees urgent cases first and rightly so, sometimes less urgent cases have to wait. It is what it is

All NHS services have had many cuts so maybe be angry at the government making these cuts not the NHS

NarkyMcDinkyChops Sun 29-Jan-17 14:49:07

You took a drunk man to A&E, waited a few hours and then left, and its the NHS's fault?
First of all, a reason the wait is so long at that time on a weekend night is because of people like your brother with drunk injuries filling the place up, and second if you could just go home without being seen you didn't need to be there in the first place.

BlueNeighbourhood Sun 29-Jan-17 14:49:42

No I completely agree. Absolutely, I don't think I've ever had to use the doctor or NHS in years for myself. The last time I was in that hospital was ten years ago when my Grandad contracted MRSA and died which isn't the greatest thing going back.

To be fair, the place wasn't even full of drunks which I was pleasantly surprised at, probably about ten or so people waiting, the one concern was that there wasn't one doctor available for him to see and he would've been waiting even longer.

I did see one woman come in who I felt so sorry for, to me it looked like she had dislocated her knee and was passed out in pain and was there even longer than we were!

whyohwhy000 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:51:13

YABU You just went home in the end, so he clearly didn't need medical attention.

Hercules12 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:51:14

Bit in the end he didnt even need to see a doctor. Surely you can see why he was left to wait b

Fortybingowings Sun 29-Jan-17 14:52:36

YABU. You didn't give them chance and chose to leave!

NarkyMcDinkyChops Sun 29-Jan-17 14:52:48

Were you sitting where you could see ambulance cases coming in, or just the walk ins like yourself? Because the drs would have been busy dealing with serious cases, as they should be.

blackpoolassy Sun 29-Jan-17 14:52:54

I suggest you decide who to vote for at the next election.
Choose wisely.
Also, have you considered that others may have been triaged ahead of your brother? That's the way these professional, under resourced staff in a&e operate.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:53:14

YABU. Not the NHS's fault.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 29-Jan-17 14:53:31

Is he concussed though? Was this the diagnosis by the medical staff or your diagnosis? Concussion is serious - I'm sure they would have treated him for concussion if that's what he had.

Sorry OP, I know going to A&E is usually a shitty experience because the staff are overworked and A&Es are generally stretched to the hilt. They probably had a lot of people to see, some with life threatening illnesses and injuries, and they had to take precedence.

Being angry with the hospital is misplaced anger, IMO.

BlueNeighbourhood Sun 29-Jan-17 14:53:36

He does need to see a doctor, he's gone back today and had stitches in his face and also a broken toe so is on crutches.

Also for anyone saying, he wasn't drunk. He'd been out for an hour before deciding to go home, he tripped and fell and this was the unfortunate end result.

nancy75 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:54:19

To be fair, 4 hours in A&E on a Saturday night isn't really anything to do with this government, it's always been a long wait at the weekend

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 29-Jan-17 14:54:45

Does he have concussion OP?

Foxesarefriends Sun 29-Jan-17 14:55:26

It's so nice to hear the police praised, I had to leave another thread as I was so sick of them being critisized for for not doing something which is an insolvency matter.

I hope that your brother is okay now, he should have been triaged before two hours.
You can give feedback via pals.

I agree with watching the hospital program, although as someone who has worked on the frontline in the NHS, I don't think that we are above reviewing whether things can be improved or ringfenced from critiscm, I do feel uncomfortable that there is a tendency to put it all down to funding.

Squeegle Sun 29-Jan-17 14:55:36

I am sympathetic to your brother but this is the reality of the funding cuts being made. Surely this is not a surprise to you? Have you not heard the news recently?

NerrSnerr Sun 29-Jan-17 14:55:45

It's not the NHS's fault. I can imagine the staff were dealing with more poorly people at the time, but at least in the waiting room they could have dealt with him quickly if he deteriorated. It was risky for you to take him home though if you felt he had a head injury!

BlueNeighbourhood Sun 29-Jan-17 14:56:20

The staff in the walk in centre had diagnosed him as being concussed and asked us to take him to hospital as it would've been quicker. They didn't offer any further treatment there and said the hospital would have to deal with it from then on.

I was also sat in the corridor the whole time and saw every person (including emergency cases) come in an out. As I've said, if I'm being unreasonable then that's absolutely fine as I do not have any cases of previous care in A&E to compare to at all, I've never had to go until last night.

farfallarocks Sun 29-Jan-17 14:56:24

I can't believe you were considering calling an ambulance instead of driving him there yourself?

BingoBingoBingoBango Sun 29-Jan-17 14:56:35

10 people waiting means nothing. There could have been a major trauma going on in resus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now