Advanced search

Caught this bloody cold and I have surgery

(15 Posts)
PopcornBits Sun 29-Jan-17 09:04:37

Got surgery in 3 days and I've woken up with this dry phlegmy cough that's going about.

My husband and DD have had it for the last two weeks and I've desperately tried to quarantine myself knowing I'm having this op. It's laparoscopic gallbladder removed btw.
I did mention to the nurse about catching a cold, she said as long as I wasn't hacking up green phlegm or had a fever I should be ok. But then also said that if I'm feeling unwell I should probably postpone surgery anyway.

Thing is, my husband starts a new contract 6th Feb, surgery is on the 1st. He won't be here after the 6th and I have nobody else to help me, or look after DD so.. AIBU to not say anything on the day and have the surgery?

BeyondCanSeeTheEmperorsBellend Sun 29-Jan-17 09:13:41

They'll check you for a fever as part of pre op anyway. I went in for surgery with a cold before xmas, they still did it smile

PopcornBits Sun 29-Jan-17 09:17:17

Awesome thanks! That gives me hope. I really can't afford not to have this surgery, in so much pain now!

SilverDragonfly1 Sun 29-Jan-17 09:40:09

My mum had surgery a couple of weeks ago with a dry cough. They checked her over and were happy to proceed as she had no breathing issues. If you can, get and use decongestant religiously for the next couple of days!

Patchouli666 Sun 29-Jan-17 10:27:01

Don't use a decongestant without your surgeon and anaesthetists say so. They can affect clotting times.

PopcornBits Sun 29-Jan-17 10:48:57

I've been using Vicks first defence and to be honest it has been working so will probably continue to use it.
I don't feel congested right now it only started last night, I just feel a bit rough.

Crunchymum Sun 29-Jan-17 10:55:00

This is the second post about misleading medical professionals in order to have surgery.

Why would anyone be so silly?

Sorry to be harsh OP but you need to be honest.

tiggerbounce77 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:04:59

I have had surgery with a stinking cold and and one with tonsillitis, be honest with the hospital but they are not stupid, they will probably know before you even mention it to them. I had even once been encouraged by a medical professional not to tell the surgeon that my daughter was on antibiotics before her surgery, the hospital were very cross when I told them what I had been told

Heychickadee Sun 29-Jan-17 11:16:20

The anaesthetist will assess you before and probably decide if you're well enough. They probably won't cancel you if you've just got a bit of a cold but if you're proper coughing up goo and have a fever then it's a bit of a risk.

PopcornBits Sun 29-Jan-17 11:19:48

Yes that's what the nurse told me. And the PP who said be honest, I have already discussed with them the likelihood of me catching a cold, they're aware that I might catch one!
That's why the nurse had already explained to me when they would cancel, if I had a fever and was coughing up green then they would postpone.

I'm not trying to mislead anybody, but if I feel rough, and miserable, I really can't afford not to have the op. I have already postponed my surgery long enough and the outcome of me not having it means I would be more of a risk at ending up in A&E.
So I would obviously like to continue with surgery, I suppose I was looking to see whether anybody had still had surgery with a cold and the outcome etc.

PopcornBits Tue 31-Jan-17 14:53:17

Well I've mostly got rid of the illness, just got a slight chesty cough.
Hoping that I don't sound too phlegmy, never had a fever in the end but I've got a bit of a sore throat and chest from all the dry hacking.
I think the Vicks first defence helped tremendously to be honest, that and tons of lemsips. Surgery is tomorrow, hoping it all goes well! Thanks for all your advice.

PeachBellini123 Tue 31-Jan-17 16:12:09

I had gallbladder removal with a cold. I had a slight temp but they weren't too worried and op went ahead.

Good luck OP.

PopcornBits Tue 31-Jan-17 16:26:14

Thank you that's very reassuring smile

PopcornBits Wed 01-Feb-17 17:53:32

Just wanted to quickly update:
My op very nearly got cancelled. I was very honest and up front, said I'd had a cold and a dry cough. He said he wouldn't do it. I had a fever of 37.6 apparently that's 0.5 more than he'd like. I was in tears. I begged and explained and he eventually checked my chest and re did the temperature, temp came back at 37.4 (phew) and chest didn't sound too bad so it all went ahead in the end. I'm so lucky, and very thankful to have had a great team, NHS are brilliant.

PeachBellini123 Fri 03-Feb-17 11:31:12

well done OP flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: