Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask about dessert?

(112 Posts)
early30smum Sat 28-Jan-17 22:22:32

After the Diet Coke thread I thought this might be interesting.

Do your kids get a dessert after their evening meal every day? Obviously if they don't want one they don't have one, but is it on offer, so to speak every day, and if so, what sort of things?

sits back to enjoy the thread

ItsNachoCheese Sat 28-Jan-17 22:28:10

Ds 19 months gets either a small yoghurt, fruit (sometimes stewed) or if ive made an apple crumble gets some of that.

peeinthepotty Sat 28-Jan-17 22:30:14

Yeah a wee square of chocolate or some jelly. I used to give yoghurts until the dentist went apeshit hmm

My DS is a great eater so I think a treat just makes him aware of "everything in moderation"

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Sat 28-Jan-17 22:31:27

Usually fruit or yogurt, sometimes a few chocolate buttons or a little cake if we've been baking. DH and I only really have pudding if we've got visitors, so things like apple pie or rice pudding aren't part of our routine in the same way that they were when I was a child.

NickyEds Sat 28-Jan-17 22:31:46

No, not every day. Mine are 18 months and just turned 3 so still little and not yet whining and expecting pudding though! About once a week I'll sort something out for pudding. They get it as other food so to speak, not a reward for eating their dinner.

livingthegoodlife Sat 28-Jan-17 22:34:08

Yes everyday. Yogurt, or a piece of fruit, angel delight or jelly, home made cake or crumble.

At lunch time and dinner time!

(We don't have any snacks...)

SickNotes Sat 28-Jan-17 22:34:30

No. But he has an appetite like a gnat.

TwatteryFlowers Sat 28-Jan-17 22:34:35

Ds gets Cake & custard for pudding at school and dd gets something similar at nursery
At home they sometimes get fruit, sometimes a yoghurt, sometimes a couple of sweets, sometimes a piece of chocolate, sometimes some fruit & jelly and sometimes nothing at all. It depends on them and on what we have in the cupboard/fridge.

Callaird Sat 28-Jan-17 22:34:42

I'm a nanny, my charges get fruit, yoghurt (or yoghurt and fruit if they ask for it!) custard or rice pudding, occasionally a cake, sponge pudding or biscuit if they are still hungry/we have made something.

A favourite at the moment is pancakes (not thick American style) with honey and blueberries which they had at a friends house so we have a stock of homemade pancakes in the freezer and they have them one a week/10 days or so.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Sat 28-Jan-17 22:35:45

Fruit on weekdays and mostly at the weekend. Occasionally something like crumble and custard, chocolate pudding etc.

SeptemberBlues Sat 28-Jan-17 22:36:59

10 and 4, generally just fruit unless it's a big event dinner (friends over, birthday etc) when we'd have homemade cake/trifle/sponge & custard. Fruit's all we had as kids most nights so a full-on dessert seems decadent (plus they're generally offered one at school for lunch anyway).

5OBalesofHay Sat 28-Jan-17 22:37:24

We sometimes have pudding. We never have dessert shock

Freakbag Sat 28-Jan-17 22:37:30

Most evenings. Usually either rice pudding, angel delight or ice cream.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sat 28-Jan-17 22:38:34

nursery always offer something after lunch, cake, fruit or yoghurt usually, so that's 4 days a week. At home probably a couple of times a week as she wouldn't eat it more often than that.

bunnylove99 Sat 28-Jan-17 22:39:42

Yes. I give mine dessert, but only if they ask for it (which they usually do). It's always small and usually milk based - a little ice cream or rice pudding or a creme caramel, chocolate mousse or yoghurt or jelly. Usually shop-bought. My DS was always a terrible sleeper and after reading it might be caused by hunger I thought puddings might be the answer!

DJKKSlider Sat 28-Jan-17 22:41:39

No.

She moight get a couple chocolate coins once a week.
Maybe a biscuit after a lunch.

But... Anything she gets, I adapt main meals so her calorific intake doesn't shot through the roof. She's almost 4.

OSETmum Sat 28-Jan-17 22:42:13

Yes, ds (7) has a huge appetite but struggles to maintain his weight so needs every calorie he can get. He has banana and ice cream/ custard or a yoghurt usually.

WorraLiberty Sat 28-Jan-17 22:42:46

No, we don't bother.

I don't consider a piece of fruit as a dessert though.

LostMyDotBrain Sat 28-Jan-17 22:45:17

Nope, but I'm quite restrictive on sweet foods nowadays as DD is a bottomless pit and has been since starting solids (she's almost 3).

I actually find it quite irritating that her nursery offers something sweet after lunch and tea. One of these is usually fruit, granted, but it's a habit I'd rather they didn't encourage.

Changednamesorry Sat 28-Jan-17 22:46:05

No. Almost never. At school pudd8ng is fruit or yoghurt
( Spain)
We might occasionally have a pie e of cake for a birthday or tea and biscuits once or twice a week.....other than that we just eat 3 normal meals without dessert and not much snacking really

wigglesrock Sat 28-Jan-17 22:56:53

No, dessert after a meal only happens here on high days and holidays grin. They eat sweet things but not after their dinner. I wasn't given dessert as a kid so it's just not something I think of.

Onawheel Sat 28-Jan-17 22:59:03

Why did the dentist go ape shit about yogurt?

zzzzz Sat 28-Jan-17 23:00:04

Not every day but most probably.

WaitrosePigeon Sat 28-Jan-17 23:01:39

No. Maybe once a week.

insan1tyscartching Sat 28-Jan-17 23:01:44

We have pudding after Sunday lunch, we never bother in the week. Although I bake every week and at some point during the day they will most likely have a piece of cake/brownie, a bun or cookie or a piece of shortbread depending on what I've baked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now