Talk

Advanced search

Do you buy your children clothes in charity shops?

(125 Posts)
Lifeisshort123 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:35:31

One of my closest friends thinks it's strange that I buy around half of my children's clothes from charity shops, I've got a great charity shop I go to around twice a month that have lovely clothes and very good prices. I don't see a problem with it, it's inexpensive usually, good causes and you save money. I don't see the problem considering I wash everything when we get home. I get clothes for my 4&6yr old as well as shoes and I've had great deals.
Today I brought from one charity shop: Converse for DS- £2.50
Orchard game- £1
Crocs for both DD & DS- £1.50 each
Tesco Onsie for DS- £1
Swimming costume for DD- 50p
Ralph Lauren shirt for DS-£2

Do you get your children clothes in a charity shop, I don't see the problem in it.

FemaleDilbert Sat 28-Jan-17 20:36:54

At least 60% of my kids stuff is from charity shops or hand-me-downs.

Wallabyone Sat 28-Jan-17 20:37:04

I don't, but I don't see a problem if others do. The only thing I feel a little funny about is second hand shoes, but that is my problem.

Cosmicglitterpug Sat 28-Jan-17 20:37:08

I don't have a problem with it all, but there's nothing good in the ones near me and they are nowhere as cheap as your one. I would if there was choice. Your friend is being very odd.

GeillisTheWitch Sat 28-Jan-17 20:38:18

I do but only if it's in good condition, no bobbles or stains. Some of the condition of the stuff they put out in my local ones is shocking. Cancer research and barnardos tends to be fine, salvation army not so much.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 28-Jan-17 20:38:36

Sorry posted too soon that was meant to say kids t shirts for 2.99 when they are 1.50 in Primark etc

MrsApplepants Sat 28-Jan-17 20:38:56

I don't but that's only because the charity shops near me are full of rubbish. I wouldn't buy second hand shoes or swimwear though

JazzAnnNonMouse Sat 28-Jan-17 20:39:01

Yes always but not from the ones that are as expensive or more expensive than new shops.
Love them.

paxillin Sat 28-Jan-17 20:39:02

I would if we had a good charity shop. Would never buy shoes though.

longestlurkerever Sat 28-Jan-17 20:39:14

Yes. All the time. They are 5 and 1. The 5 year old loves charity shopping with me. I pretty much let her have anything she wants in her size. Last week we bought a furry gilet thing and she's been wearing it non stop ever since. Also school jumble sales are good hunting ground.

user1469094500 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:39:58

I don't have a problem with it at all. I buy a lot from eBay either second hand or new.smile

ineedamoreadultieradult Sat 28-Jan-17 20:40:18

Oh God this isn't going well now the first bits disappeared. In summary yes I buy from charity shops sometimes there are bargains but sometimes things are not actually that good value and you can get them cheaper in Primark etc. I'll go and leave you in peace now grin

mrsnoon Sat 28-Jan-17 20:40:21

About 90% of my kids wardrobes are second hand - mostly eBay or carboots. Love getting something practically new for a fraction of the price.

Bambambini Sat 28-Jan-17 20:40:24

No but don't see anything wrong with it.

Salumeria Sat 28-Jan-17 20:41:26

I try to, but I don't often find that much, it seems mainly to be baby/toddler clothes, and not always in very good condition (having said that, I got a lovely shirt for DD the other day). I have got some good bargains in the past - a winter coat for DD1 for £5, that DD2 is now wearing was a particularly good one.

I buy more from ebay than charity shops now, though I still get lots of books from the charity shop.

longestlurkerever Sat 28-Jan-17 20:41:56

I've bought wellies and snow boots and swimwear second hand.

BikeRunSki Sat 28-Jan-17 20:42:31

Yes, I buy a lot of stuff for the dc, me and the house from charity shops. DH won't even wear a (really nice) silk tie (then 4) chose him the Christmas before last.

ApproachingATunnel Sat 28-Jan-17 20:42:44

I dont but that's because i dont really have time for shopping, if i go somewhere i need to know that stuff i'm after is there. I usually pick up their clothes when food shopping in tesco/saunsbury

redexpat Sat 28-Jan-17 20:43:22

Charity shops near me arent very well managed so I dont buy clothes as they are really worn out. Ive got all sorts of games and toys and furniture from them though. I do get second hand clothes from table top sales though, straight from the previous owner.

Soubriquet Sat 28-Jan-17 20:43:30

If I see nice things for a reasonable price, yes I have no problem buying it

But the charity shops around here don't really stock any nice kids clothes anymore

It's all baby stuff

AbbeyRoadCrossing Sat 28-Jan-17 20:43:51

Yes some of them. It depends on the quality but I've picked up some amazing bargains.
Also do a lot of sale shopping to buy clothes for the next season or when they're bigger.
Both DCs are tall and grow very quickly so we get through a lot. Plus clothes get completely trashed at nursery.

longestlurkerever Sat 28-Jan-17 20:44:00

I tend to think of it more as recycling and helping out the charity rather than absolite bargain hunting though, as value is hit and miss

NapQueen Sat 28-Jan-17 20:44:58

Yanbu to use charity shops for any reason whatsoever, but yabu for using brought instead of bought.

NowtAbout Sat 28-Jan-17 20:46:27

I am lucky and get 90% for the youngest three from hand me downs. Generally have to buy shoes for the boys, girls seem to have some to hand down I think they get bought more. Anything we don't get handed down I tend to get secondhand apart from shoes. So socks, Coats and shoes I tend to buy. Though coats I get second hand from eBay. I love the fact that we reuse stuff,it's free, much better for the environment and isn't profiting companies that use cheap labour (pretty much all clothes industry). I buy almost all of my clothes from charity shops. We must've saved thousands of pounds over the years.

Lifeisshort123 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:46:35

Haha, it's been a long day but I noticed after the thread was posted but thanks for pointing it out😂😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now