Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be upset by this letter.

(220 Posts)
welshcath Sat 28-Jan-17 20:07:03

I got home today to find this letter, which had been sent in the post. Yes our garden has a few stray bits of rubbish in it as it goes straight on to the road and it's been very windy the last few days. It was on my list of things to do this weekend but now I feel like not tidying, in the manner of a truculent child. WWYD?

IMurderedStampyLongnose Sat 28-Jan-17 20:08:03

Picture of it and we'll tell you if YABU or not.

WellErrr Sat 28-Jan-17 20:09:38

We need to see the garden.

It's not worded v nicely though.

orangepudding Sat 28-Jan-17 20:10:16

I would feel like leaving it to if I got a note like that!

OnceUponATimeInAVest Sat 28-Jan-17 20:10:30

Person who sent it is a dick.

Whether your garden is a disgrace or not, I can't say without a picture.

ItsyBitsyBikini Sat 28-Jan-17 20:10:49

I wouldn't tidy but I'm petty. Don't think too much of it, it'll be some nosy busybody trying to get a reaction. Are your neighbours generally nice? Or are they expecting someone from the 'well kept town/village' to turn up and are scared they won't win?
A house across the street from us looks like a bombs hit it, no one cares as we all have other stuff to worry about.

piginboots Sat 28-Jan-17 20:11:22

That is horrible. Yes, it's nice if the whole street's front gardens are lovely etc etc, but it's your garden, not a communal space, and whether you have the time/energy or even the inclination to tend to it is none of your neighbours' business. What a horrible snob.

ShugAvery1 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:11:46

Unless it stinks to high heaven and is causing distress to the neighbours by attracting flies and vermin it's nobody's bloody business. How rude.

Notsleepingeveragain Sat 28-Jan-17 20:11:57

Do not tidy your garden until you're good and ready to. That person has no right to speak to you like that.

I would leave it completely if it were me!

QuackDuckQuack Sat 28-Jan-17 20:12:06

Does tha mean it isn't even your rubbish? There's one front garden locally that might deserve a letter, but it's had a decaying car in the garden for a number of years and they appear to cut the dandilions grass annually. Unless that sounds like you then just ignore it.

ShugAvery1 Sat 28-Jan-17 20:12:40

I'd be erecting a ten foot middle finger statue but I'm an arsehole

GarrulousGrimoire Sat 28-Jan-17 20:13:02

Stick a sofa out there and go drink beer on it grin

welshcath Sat 28-Jan-17 20:13:18

There is a sandwich wrapper and a small piece of cardboard by our side gate that had blown there in the wind. Neither of which are ours. Too dark for photo now WellErrr.

HardToDeal Sat 28-Jan-17 20:13:43

Horrible. Who gives a shit about someone else's garden, or "the street"? They should get a life.

QuackDuckQuack Sat 28-Jan-17 20:13:50

I wonder if someone is trying to sell their house and flailing round looking for excuses as to why it's not selling.

WellErrr Sat 28-Jan-17 20:14:40

If it's literally one sandwich wrapper and a piece of cardboard then it sounds batshit crazy.

YellowDinosaur Sat 28-Jan-17 20:15:12

What an arse hole the letter writer is angry

That note would make me want to empty the contents of my bins into the garden and put up a sign saying 'To the cowardly anonymous note writer. I'll have what the fuck I like in my garden. Thanks'

I probably wouldn't but I certainly wouldn't tidy it up for at least a week and possibly longer.

OreoCat Sat 28-Jan-17 20:15:14

The AIBU is whether to be upset by the letter or not, not whether the letter is justified, so I'm not sure why (as per typical AIBU) people are fishing for irrelevant details such as pictures of the garden.

YANBU to be upset, the letter is rude.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 28-Jan-17 20:15:27

Hate the "clean it up!" bit.

I hate being told what to do. That would piss me off to high heaven.

Our next door neighbours like to throw pie tins and plastic bottles in to their garden. Yes it's odd and I wouldn't do it, but it's up to them. I certainly wouldn't leave them a shitty note.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 28-Jan-17 20:16:46

Oh no, 1 whole sandwich wrapper and a piece of cardboard?!?!

Forshame!!!

LemonyFresh Sat 28-Jan-17 20:17:06

The letter is rude and cowardly.

But I still really want to see what your garden looks like.

CaveMum Sat 28-Jan-17 20:19:08

We had a Christmas card from one of our neighbours that concluded with "PS your front garden is looking cluttered" angry

Our "front garden" is 1m wide and planted with roses and shrubs. I haven't done any pruning for a few months as a) I work 3 full days a week; b) I have a toddler to look after the other 4 days; c) DH works away Mon-Fri and d) I'm 6 months pregnant and frankly can't be arsed!

Said neighbour is a retired gentleman in his 70s. DH had to restrain me from marching round to his house and telling him if it bothers him that much he can prune the bloody roses himself!

YANBU!

Emberroo Sat 28-Jan-17 20:19:49

Throw the letter in the garden! How rude!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 28-Jan-17 20:20:31

Put the letter in the garden with the rubbish OP 😂
Only joking of course !
Any ideas as to whom may have posted it ?
Whoever they are, they are cowards.

gamerchick Sat 28-Jan-17 20:21:16

Draw out a middle finger salute, paint it red and display it in an upstairs window for a day?

I had an opposite neighbour berate me once loudly because I had net curtains up. It was the most bizarre aggressive conversation about window displays I've ever had hmm

She then offered to 'give me a hiding' because I was pregnant rather than go for an abortion though so I knew she was batshit and slightly scary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now