Talk

Advanced search

To think this DFS ad is sexist

(7 Posts)
allthecheese Sat 28-Jan-17 19:21:54

Several male characters doing the carrying/building of the sofas, while 3 women are on sewing machines.

I know DFS adverts aren't a work of art, and I should have more to worry about, but it still makes me so angry!!

youtu.be/h55MygaUyEk

Skooba Sat 28-Jan-17 19:58:50

Yes, I agree. It is very dated.
I saw another similar one recently but can't remember what it was, possibly washing up liquid. The DH sitting at the table whilst the woman washes up.

I managed to lug a sideboard out of the back of the car (had had help to load it on) up 3 steps, into the house across the hall to the living room. A sofa would have been a doddle.

ImYourMama Sat 28-Jan-17 20:13:35

Oh FFS, not everything is an attack on gender equality - get a grip'

ShatnersBassoon Sat 28-Jan-17 20:17:04

It could be that the animated figures are based on real people in their workshop.

Besides, heavy lifting jobs really are better suited to the strongest members of the workforce.

Cosmicglitterpug Sat 28-Jan-17 20:19:13

It did occur to me that it was all women on the machines.

StillGotTheTreeUp Sat 28-Jan-17 20:20:30

Ha.

Have you ever been to an upholstery workshop op?

harleysmammy Sat 28-Jan-17 20:31:04

I highly doubt they did it too piss people off. I agree we should all be equal blah blah blah but if an advert is all you have to worry about there is something seriously wrong. Im sure if all the woman were doing the work whilst the men were at sewing machines people would moan that it was unfair the women were left to do all the hard work and that men cant sew as well as women. Stop trying to find a political view in every thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now