Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think I've just been put in my place by DS' girlfriend

(238 Posts)
Butteredpars1ps Sat 28-Jan-17 17:54:24

DS has been away for a week. His GF texted earlier to ask if she could come round and cook a surprise special meal for them. Obv not a problem and she's a nice girl btw.

She has just asked me if DH, DD and I will be eating before them or after them!!! That kind of tells us to bugger off doesn't it? She's 16 FFS.

I'm going to have to keep on the right side of her aren't I?

JellyWitch Sat 28-Jan-17 17:55:41

Why can't she do it at her house?!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 28-Jan-17 17:55:47

Say you didn't have plans to go out. If she wants a romantic dinner she should organise it at hers.

MrsSpenserGregson Sat 28-Jan-17 17:56:10

Why can't she cook him a meal at her house? I'd be very unimpressed if I were in your shoes! (I am a mean cow though)

someonestolemynick Sat 28-Jan-17 17:56:45

hmm I would not be impressed. But i don't have a teenage D'S.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 28-Jan-17 17:57:10

Tell her maybe it's best she does it at hers (😒) if she wants the whole kitchen to herself. deffo a cheeky madam.

PeppaIsMyHero Sat 28-Jan-17 17:57:19

If she's 16, she's probably been agonising over how to ensure it's just the two of them and this is her inept solution.

Try not to take offence - she is (as you said) 16.

RoganJosh Sat 28-Jan-17 17:57:41

Sounds fine to me, she wouldn't be cooking for all of you and it'd be chaos having two meals being cooked at the same time?

HecateAntaia Sat 28-Jan-17 17:57:51

I would text back and say i dont know when we will be eating but we arent going out if that's what you were expecting. See you later.

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 28-Jan-17 17:57:53

She sounds very sensible smile

ThinkPinkStink Sat 28-Jan-17 17:58:43

I don't take it as her trying to get rid of you at all, just trying to ascertain when she can start cooking without getting in each other's way.

MsJuniper Sat 28-Jan-17 18:00:14

Ah, I think she's actually rather clunkily trying to be polite! She probably said to her friends (or asked on GF-net), I asked if I could go and cook a surprise meal for my BF but I'm not sure if his Mum is expecting me to cook for all of them, what shall I say to check?

dementedma Sat 28-Jan-17 18:00:24

Bless. She's 16 and cooking him a nice meal. I would just say that you aren't going out but the kitchen will be free from whatever time works for you.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 28-Jan-17 18:00:48

Well she did ask if she could cook a special meal for them and you said yes that was ok. We're you thinking she'd cook for you too? Or you'd cook separate meals and sit at the table at the same time? Sounds like she's sensibly thinking about timings. Why are people taking this as rude?

MatildaTheCat Sat 28-Jan-17 18:01:52

Or she might be politely asking which would be most convenient for you? Surely you weren't expecting to sit down to join the romantic meal?

If she's a nice girl who has had a thoughtful surprise for your ds I would give her the benefit of the doubt. You don't have to go out if you have a separate room you can use.

Why all the mean comments about doing it at her own house when there could be so many reasons? She asked the OP and OP agreed.

CrispPacket Sat 28-Jan-17 18:03:11

I dont think she's being intentionally rude smile if I were you op (sorry I know its your house) but would find out what time shes cooking and then maybe give them an hour or so totally private in the kitchen/dining room?

Ilovecaindingle Sat 28-Jan-17 18:03:41

Make sure she knows the washing up is hers too!

DeathStare Sat 28-Jan-17 18:04:38

I don't mean this to sound as blunt as it's going to, but....

What were you expecting? Obviously when she asked she was planning on it being just the two of them. She wasn't planning on making her and your DS one meal while the rest of the family sat with them eating a different meal!

I think her question was probably just to ascertain whether she needed to share the kitchen while she was cooking.

Roomster101 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:05:17

If she is cooking him a "special meal" it is surely obvious that she doesn't want to eat at the same time as you. She also probably doesn't want to get in your way while you're cooking. She is just trying to fit around you all so I'm not sure what is offensive. Strange that she isn't cooking at her house though as that would surely be easier to arrange.

KarmaNoMore Sat 28-Jan-17 18:05:37

I would send a text back saying "Oh, we thought we were joining you both, we also want to celebrate his return"

Well, not really, but I wouldn't let the little madam think that is ok to ask me to vacate my own house. Just send a text as saying you have no plans to be out tonight and will eat at your usual time.

DeathStare Sat 28-Jan-17 18:05:55

Make sure she knows the washing up is hers too!

If she has cooked surely the OP's DS should wash up!

birdybirdywoofwoof Sat 28-Jan-17 18:06:33

Wow. She's got balls!

ImperialBlether Sat 28-Jan-17 18:06:53

But why can't they go to her house?

AllTheLight Sat 28-Jan-17 18:07:06

Ah I think that's sweet!

KondosSecretJunkRoom Sat 28-Jan-17 18:08:08

I think it's fine. She's not going to want to be under your feet while you are cooking your dinner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now