Talk

Advanced search

To apologise with gift of some sort?

(9 Posts)
Mehfruittea Sat 28-Jan-17 11:01:04

I missed a hair appointment today. I've never done this before and like my hairdresser. She is not the owner of the business and so I assume she earns only when she has a client.

I've missed the appointment and it's a premium Saturday one too! I totally fucked up and didn't put it in my calendar on my phone. I feel awful, and feel I should give her a small gift when I go in next week.

Is this the right thing to do? What kind of gift would you get? Or would you tip? I don't normally tip (is that really bad?). The hair cuts I get are just average btw, she's a lovely person and I feel bad that I've cost her potential income on her busiest and most lucrative day.

WWYD?

WheresTheEvidence Sat 28-Jan-17 11:04:40

Could you just add a big tip to next weeks cut.

MrsHathaway Sat 28-Jan-17 11:04:40

At some salons you'd be liable for a cancellation fee. Is this likely?

I think a gift would be weird. Double tipping next time and saying why, on the other hand ...

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 28-Jan-17 11:40:34

Firstly relax. You've __accidentally
missed an appointment. You've not drowned a kitten.
Yes its an inconvience to them, but you're not the first and nor will you be the last to forget about an appointment. They're not going to hold it against you. Its business. They can't afford to. The business is dependent on the client not the other way around.
The salon were I go has text reminders. Perhaps its something they should think of.
Reading your op. I take it you've arranged another appointment, so. That shows. There's no harm done, and I assume youve already apologized. You can't do anymore, so. Just move on.

Treewall Sat 28-Jan-17 12:52:48

I work in a salon. It depends entirely on if they are employed or self employed. Employed stylist, it will have perhaps affected their commission for the week or maybe not depending how the salon works it out. Some of our stylists just earn a basic wage and are not affected by how many customers they have. If they are self employed though then yes she has basically not been able to earn anything for however long your appointment was.
It is annoying but it does happen despite us sending reminder txts!
I would give her a good tip next time maybe an extra £5 if she's just a staff member, more if self employed. I've known customers tip nearly the value of the missed booking in this situation but mostly I would say around the £20 mark - about half the value of a haircut appt.

Mehfruittea Sat 28-Jan-17 13:03:21

Thanks everyone, I've calmed down now! I will write her a note and leave an extra tip next week. smile

FinallyHere Sat 28-Jan-17 13:09:08

For anyone self employed, I would pay them them anyway. Then you are the only one suffering for your own mistake, rather than someone not earning, especially for an appointment in a premium slot. A token gift on top would be nice, but pay what you signed up for first.

DomesticDisgrace Sat 28-Jan-17 13:40:40

For self employed I would at least tip half the price of the cut

Mehfruittea Sat 28-Jan-17 14:51:06

Will give a good tip, what kind of token present do you think would be appropriate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now