Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off about term-time holidays

(62 Posts)
SeahorsesSwim Sat 28-Jan-17 07:04:10

My dc is in reception at an academy. The policy is the requests for time off school in termtime to be approved by the Head, but obviously frowned upon.

I wasn't planning to go on holiday this year, maybe a weekend or something as holidays are so expensive. I just found out that another parent has applied for and been given a week off authorised by the head, to save money vs going in school holidays. She said they're going to the med, nothing special happening etc. The school won't charge for the time off.

Aibu to be really pissed off? Other parents have paid through the nose for holidays not in term time, some people don't have a holiday etc. I think if this is permissible the policy is pointless.

Boolovessulley Sat 28-Jan-17 07:06:44

You don't know the other parents circumstances.
Saying it's just the med sounds very snobby.
It's also the heads decision so just let it go.

lovelyupnorth Sat 28-Jan-17 07:07:21

Yabu especially in reception I don't see an issue with term time holidays as long as attendance is high. I work in an industry that except for Christmas can't take time off during school holidays.

catwoman0815 Sat 28-Jan-17 07:08:05

yabvvu. there are many reasons beyond cost why families may want to go in term time.

SeahorsesSwim Sat 28-Jan-17 07:08:14

No she said 'it's just the med', not me! The parent told me the circumstances, it's to save money.

KateDaniels2 Sat 28-Jan-17 07:08:38

I thought the councils fined not the school. And i dont think the fine would come through until they have been.

Besidrs which a lot of councils arent doing this at the moment. I know a few heads who think the old rule of authorising up to 10 days off, if attendance was usually good was a better way anyway. Maybe your head agrees.

Why is it your business though?

I have 17 days authorised next year. To everyone else it probably seems that we are just having a jolly. But we arent.

minisoksmakehardwork Sat 28-Jan-17 07:08:43

Yanbu to feel pissed off. But there could be many reasons why that holiday has been approved, the parents might be able to evidence that they can't get time off during holidays, there may be extended family going as well for whom it's beneficial for the children to spend time with.

From what I've heard of academies round our way, they are far less likely to grant time off and more likely to have the fines levied than the LA school's.

SeahorsesSwim Sat 28-Jan-17 07:09:54

OK so if iabu then any other parents who want to save money should apply for a termtime holiday, it's a pointless policy?!

KateDaniels2 Sat 28-Jan-17 07:10:37

What policy?

You said the policy is to apply to the school. She did.

Lilaclily Sat 28-Jan-17 07:10:43

Why don't you ask for a holiday in term time ? Isn't this good news for yiu because it sounds like your school is lenient ?
Get planning a term time holiday in year 1 , who cares about phonics wink

SeahorsesSwim Sat 28-Jan-17 07:11:28

I'm going on the basis of what the mum told me, which is that the only reason she wants the holiday then is to save money. No special circumstances

2014newme Sat 28-Jan-17 07:14:04

At our school they wouldn't authorise such holidays but you wouldn't be fined. I take mine out for a weeks unauthorised absence every year, never been fined.
Sounds like this is what your friend has done. You could do the same. If it's five days or less yoy ate unlikely to be fined or "charged" as you describe it.
Yabu to be pissed off. You and your friend have made different choices. She isn't responsible for yours!

KateDaniels2 Sat 28-Jan-17 07:14:24

So lets say the policy is pointless. Ratger than maybe the other parent doesnt want to give you the ins and outs. Or that she may have stretched the truth.

Why are you so bothered? She had a holiday authorised. It has no impact on you, if you want a holiday. Then book one.

2014newme Sat 28-Jan-17 07:14:47

Also f the child is under five they are not compulsory to attend school

2014newme Sat 28-Jan-17 07:16:37

Yes just do the same
Stop being jealous and book your own holiday

2014newme Sat 28-Jan-17 07:17:22

She may not actually have had it authorised she may have just been told she won't be fined

Shockers Sat 28-Jan-17 07:18:14

My school always got an extra week at Whitsuntide, so I took DS away for that week every year until his GCSEs. He is a young carer for his sister... the whole family care for his sister. That week meant he could have one parent's attention and do all the activities we can't manage when DD is on holiday with us. It also meant DH could still work because DD was in school, so we didn't need respite and her routine wasn't affected too much.

I was criticised by another parent who thought we were just going for a cheap deal though.

You don't know what that family's circumstances are, but the headteacher does. How do you know they weren't fined?

SmileEachDay Sat 28-Jan-17 07:18:33

How old is the child?

Bluntness100 Sat 28-Jan-17 07:19:00

You're not having a holiday as you can't afford it, why do you care others are? She followed process the kid is in reception, the school authorised it.

You sound just jealous and spiteful as they are going on holiday and you aren't.

Shockers Sat 28-Jan-17 07:19:20

Sorry X post. You do know.

roundtable Sat 28-Jan-17 07:24:25

Lots of teachers and headteachers don't agree with fining for term time holidays so long as the piss isn't taken.

Lots of 'exceptional circumstances' in our school, with the heads blessing.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 28-Jan-17 07:24:33

I don't see the issue but then again when my kids were primary school age we always took a week out in term time for holidays.

Good luck to your mate, hope they have a fabulous time in the Medsmile

I'm with you op. Yanbu at all. I think the school has probably opened the floodgates for applications based on the fact the term time holidays are more expensive. I personally wouldn't take my kids out of school for holidays. I'm 38 and I still remember all the things I missed out on at school through absence. I missed day trips, freebies, long division which I've never learnt since, all sorts. Our family live in Africa so quite a few long holidays there and if I wanted to stay home my parents would easily let me.

I'd rather have a cheap holiday in August than a better holiday during term time but I'd be pissed off if others get to miss school due to cost

TweedAddict Sat 28-Jan-17 07:28:42

The thing is there maybe an special allowance, she may just not want to tell you. I had similar after a few miscarriages, we took my son out of school- approved. But that so we could spend some time together meanding. The school knew the reasons however the other parents most certainly did not!

THirdEeye Sat 28-Jan-17 07:36:57

School is NOT compulsory until the term after a child is five.

IMO, I'm not sure what the issue is....there will always be families that take the piss and those that don't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now