Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed by constant nappy explosions

(34 Posts)
YouJumpIJumpJack Fri 27-Jan-17 23:03:31

DS is 4 months and generally a very happy little boy. But pretty much EVERY fucking day I have to deal with a poosplosion (2 today lucky me).

It wouldn't be such a pain but it goes through his clothes onto whatever he's sitting on and I end up with a home smeared in shit.

I've tried every nappy (pampers, Aldi, Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda and boots) and have the same problem with all of them. I went up a size and that hasn't helped either.

He doesn't have any apparent issue with milk (although he is very sicky but gp is adamant it's not reflux). He sleeps really well and doesn't cry much so I don't think he's uncomfortable.

Does anyone else have/had this problem? And is there anything that can help prevent it?

notanothernamechangebabes Fri 27-Jan-17 23:08:31

We had this - went up a size (size 4 at 3 months...) and problem solved.

Do feel for you - esp if you're BF and get that lovely buttercup yellow stain that doesn't come out...

Thingmcthingyface Fri 27-Jan-17 23:15:27

Aaah the poomaggeddon days. Eventually he will move onto other grosser things....

tinytoucan Fri 27-Jan-17 23:16:31

We had this. Ended up skipping size 4 and going to 4+ very quickly and it was a lot better. I also found that we were doing the nappies up tighter and higher up in an attempt to 'catch' it all, and actually I think that made the poospolsions more likely as there was less room in there. They seemed to happen less often when I fastened them just above his legs (not high up) and didn't do them up as tight.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Fri 27-Jan-17 23:19:12

I had this and wish I had found reusable sooner!

kindfriend Fri 27-Jan-17 23:25:44

Use reusables. Or at the very least try a nappy wrap meant for use with reusables, but put over a disposable.

YouJumpIJumpJack Fri 27-Jan-17 23:26:26

Thanks for the tips, will give size 4s a go (slightly regretting buying 100 size 3s last week now blush ).

I've never even thought about reusable, I suppose I assumed they'd be even worse. But I'll do some research.

Valentine2 Fri 27-Jan-17 23:31:34

Sigh. Yes I have been there though I have tried to erase that from my memory.
I agree with all the posters saying go up a nappy size.
One thing that really helped me was to put a fold of toilet role all over the width of the nappy on DC's back, right where the nappy ended. It basically stopped the poop going up like a blast and it stayed in contact with the pamper long enough to be absorbed properly.
It wasn't fool proof of course but it got a massive reduction in the number of washes we needed for DC. This poonami disappeared once we started solids though.

Valentine2 Fri 27-Jan-17 23:32:17

And about those size 3 nappies, if you have the receipt, go and get them exchanged? Is it possible?

dodgydonkeysdoodah Fri 27-Jan-17 23:36:06

We've all been there! I found nappies with stretchy side tabs (Pampers Active Fit? - do they still make those?) gave a better fit around the waist which helped somewhat.
But it won't be forever - as soon as he's taking some solids, that poo will become a lot less liquid (and a lot more smelly!)

HalfwayToFifty Sat 28-Jan-17 09:07:18

Are the poonamis quite runny/sloppy? I had this with both mine. I put them both on lactose free and the difference was amazing. One with the advice of the doctor.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Sat 28-Jan-17 09:36:43

Second what PPs say - reuseables. They're your friend in these situations 😀

Nan0second Sat 28-Jan-17 09:39:05

Reusables. Two part nappies much better at containing poo than all in ones.
Look for a nappy library near you as then you can try before you buy. Otherwise consider second hand.

gincamelbak Sat 28-Jan-17 09:44:23

My DS liked to put effort into his poos, apparently it only counted if it leaked put his legs and went up his back. Anyway, a 2 part reusable nappy was the only thing to contain them until he got to about 7 or 8 months old.

I think part of it was he was normally lying down when he had a poo which gave some momentum to outward explosion - sometimes there would be nothing up the front of the nappy as the blast radius was channelled horizontally. but when he started sitting up, he could just fill the nappy under his arse. 2 part reusanles are built a bit more hardy and designed to keep everything sealed. That's my half baked theory anyway!

Mol1628 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:52:26

Reusable are definitely better at holding in poo. If you don't want to fully use reusable then you could just get a wrap to go over a disposable as someone else has said.

BarbarianMum Sat 28-Jan-17 09:52:46

Oh happy days fondly remembered! Did you know the envelope neck of babies vests allows you to pull the beshitten vest down off their bodies, rather than having to take them off over their heads?

I didn't angry I mention it here as it would have been a life-changing piece of info had I come across it at the time.

HerBluebiro Sat 28-Jan-17 10:00:08

Are the vests too tight? We found going up a size in them really helped reduce the poo in hair type explosions.

Poo is sloppy. That's normal. Far better that than a constipated baby

Oysterbabe Sat 28-Jan-17 10:54:33

You've only got a couple of months before weaning and constipation becomes more of an issue. It's annoying though.

Gymnopedies Sat 28-Jan-17 11:04:40

Ah, I was going to mention taking the vest down but got beaten by BarbarianMum.
Other things to keep in mind:
-"+" sizes are not larger, just more absorbant,
- if vest is too tight you can try a vest extender (they sell them on Amazon and ebay),
-if breastfeeding, I have found that my medication (lactulose) and my diet (cow's milk) affected baby's poo and sick. In my case stopping cow's milk helped a lot with reflux for 1 of them.
Good luck smile

Bubspub Sat 28-Jan-17 11:08:06

Aldi have exchanged many packs of unopened nappies for me when DS has suddenly gone up a size and I never have the receipt. Some managers are stuffier about it than others but they have always done it for me when I explained that he's had a growth spurt and our life is too chaotic to keep receipts. I'm sure wherever you bought then will exchange them x

JennyOnAPlate Sat 28-Jan-17 11:08:22

Ah the poonami days

I second going up a nappy size.

Bubspub Sat 28-Jan-17 11:17:52

Just had some flashbacks of the 'very baby' stages. Sometimes (often) things weren't salvageable and I'd just have to bin all of his clothes, I'd stick them in the nappy bag with the nappy! Initially I did attempt all the stain removal methods but sometimes nothing shifts the shite and it's a write off 😢 very sad when you've got a cherished item of clothing that you've spent the last of your SMP on. Hence why I only really put him in cheapy clothes now, I don't feel emotionally attached to any of it (well maybe the odd thing). Get a load of cheapy vests from primark and don't worry if you need to him them. I know this seems wasteful but that period is about survival mode and not beating yourself up x

Bubspub Sat 28-Jan-17 11:18:38

*bin

MoonGeek Sat 28-Jan-17 11:24:01

Another one suggesting reusables. They are much better at containing things.

PostTruthEra Sat 28-Jan-17 13:11:26

I've never had a poo leak with my reusables (though I do get the occasional wee leak), but agree with pp go up a size in nappies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now