Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what career change idea would fit best around children, book keeping or nail technician?

(5 Posts)
People1pleaser Fri 27-Jan-17 22:19:13

I currently work a (dull) admin job which is school hours. I have decided life is to short and want to be self employed. I have been spending my evenings looking into training as either a book keeper or nail technician. I am interested in both, probably more so in the nails. But I need to make this work, and work around the dc. My other half works nights so I need something I can do in the school hours while dc are at school, although I guess customers could always come to my home in the evening. Does anyone have any advice/experience of what might work best with a young family? I am planning on training in the evenings while keeping my day job. I've done research into courses and a business plan for both but just can't decide which to go for as I am not sure how either would fit in with having children. I'm assuming being a nail technician may not work when dc are ill, school holidays etc? Also I need to consider earning potential, although from my research I am thinking both jobs may pay around the same?

Pumpkintopf Fri 27-Jan-17 23:17:40

I would imagine book keeper would be easier to fit round the children in that you could plan your work around school hours/school hols. Nails-most clients will want eve/weekend/peak holiday times like Christmas.

topcat2014 Fri 27-Jan-17 23:24:58

I know nothing about nails, but plenty about accounts (am a finance director) - are you planning on getting some training - for example AAT?

It is important to go in to these things with your eyes open - as there is a risk of being sued if you get books wrong and people have to pay more tax.

Good luck whichever you choose. I imagine you could build up a steady client base with both choices.

People1pleaser Sat 28-Jan-17 09:00:53

I have a business studies degree and am planning to do the aat 2 up to aat level 4. I did A Level accounting but that was along time ago so am thinking of studying the aat courses in the evenings while working it should take me 3 years. Then I would have to advertise etc. If I went down the nail technician route I could qualify by the summer but I imagine would need alot of practise before people would pay me? And I would still need to advertise to try and get clients. I have thought about doing both but then think I may not put enough effort into either of them if that makes sense?

chanie44 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:52:49

I would have thought that most people would want their nails done in the evenings or weekends.

I don't know about book keeping, but i would have thought that would have been more flexible, as once you have met with clients, the work can be done more flexibly. Maybe you could extend your services to cover general admin as well, given your experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now