Talk

Advanced search

To worry about DD 4 not making close reception friends

(8 Posts)
Exileinengland1999 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:07:01

DD 4 is happy in reception & in school but hasn't really made any good friends yet and I am a bit worried. She's confident and chatty but doesn't seem to have really gelled with anyone in her class yet. When I ask her who she played with, it's often kids in yr 1 & 2 which is great but I'd also like her to make friends in her own class too. She has been to a couple of parties but at those she seemed to play on her own more. Aibu to be worried or is it early days? My older dc was different and had more named friends at this point although I know all kids are different.

PollyHampton Fri 27-Jan-17 20:11:07

I really wouldn't worry. Ds1 had a very defined group of friends from day 1 and got on with everyone. Ds2 didn't become friends with anyone in his class until at least year 2, he wasn't bothered in the slightest. He's 11 now and still seems to float around friends, he is happy in his own company! Try not to worry if she seems happy enough.

Exileinengland1999 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:27:24

I'm also worried that I'm not doing enough in terms of not doing play dates yet (cos I hate them grin) - I will make an effort but at the moment I don't really know who to invite. I do think she feels a bit left out though

Crumbs1 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:30:21

It doesn't sound like she's feeling left out but that you're worrying. Children of that age are fickle generally, they don't often have best friends but flit around with whoever is about. Where there are best friends it's often engineered by parents.

bumsexatthebingo Fri 27-Jan-17 20:30:51

I would ask her which kids she likes best and arrange something with some of them. Once they have played one-on-one outside school they will probably play together more in school.

whoisit1 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:35:03

This sounds very much like my dd, aged 5 in reception. It doesn't seem to bother her but it has recently started to worry me. Sorry no advice but watching for myself

badhotfanny Fri 27-Jan-17 20:49:49

My dad was the same. I talked to her teacher about it. Even cried blush think I was projecting!

They told me better not to put all your eggs in one basket at that age. So right. At 7, she's fine now. I needn't have worried.

Dd2 has had no problems at all I think it was more to do with adult cliques, tbh.

Exileinengland1999 Fri 27-Jan-17 21:20:46

I think adult cliques does have a lot to do with it actually @badhot you are right- I'm only there a few afternoons a week so not getting the same chance to meet anyone. Although with other DC I was there less but have made really good friends like other DC did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now