Talk

Advanced search

Not many people know...

(32 Posts)
SingingInTheRainstorm Fri 27-Jan-17 16:50:06

That in your local area you should have pharmacies that can provide medication, by a trained pharmacist, for minor illnesses.
So thrush, cystitis, sinus problems, nappy rash, colic, colds, flu, tummy bugs, can all be treated by dropping into the pharmacy. If the treatment is for a baby, you get it for free. The same if you're exempt or have the pre-pay cert.
They can give calpol & ibropufen in liquid form, plus linctus for coughs, as an example. Which helps out parents who struggle with money. They may not give you calpol, it might be a generic brand that's the same.
There's lots of minor ailments they can help with. It saves you having to go to the Doctors. They have a consulting room so you can have privacy, instead of letting the shop know you have thrush.
Some people might know about this but not everyone does. They can give you peace of mind and rehydration sachets for tummy bugs.
So much easier than having to beg a receptionist for an appointment at 8am after redialling 20 times.

PeridotPassion Fri 27-Jan-17 16:51:13

Just in England though I believe?

OdinsLoveChild Fri 27-Jan-17 16:53:02

I have found that 'most people' do know they should be visiting a pharmacist and not clogging up the doctors but they choose to go to the doctors instead because their cough is probably more serious and would definitely require some very serious drugs that the pharmacist just could not prescribe. hmm

mambono5 Fri 27-Jan-17 16:54:22

Unless you confuse Boots with a real pharmacist. They seem to replace all independent pharmacies in my area, and are just about able to sell you product, but not giving any medical advice. I try to use real pharmacy when possible, sadly there are not many in my area.

Putsomepeasonit Fri 27-Jan-17 16:56:21

Not many people know that they limit how often you use the service and will turn you away if you've used it too recently and tell you to make a doctor appointment instead.

notuniqueenough Fri 27-Jan-17 16:58:16

Just in England though I believe?

Don't think so. I live in Scotland and I'm sure we have that. Don't know how similar it is but I do know we have the minor ailments at pharmacies. I've used it for paracetamol for my DD. I did ask once if I could get something from them as a minor ailment ailment but because I didn't receive benefits of some sort (Can't remember which) I wasn't entitled so had to pay. I think it's a fantastic idea and believe more people should know!

Twolittlejobbys Fri 27-Jan-17 17:00:32

Yip! Also in Scotland. Has been for years confused

bigbluebus Fri 27-Jan-17 17:06:47

Where I live it is 5 miles to the nearest Pharmacy. The GP surgery is in the village centre. There is a bus service every 2 hours and it goes around the houses before it gets to the nearest town. Not a journey you'd want to make if you were feeling ill. If you manage to get a GP appointment and need a prescription then the surgery can dispense the medicine there and then. They do not, however, have a Pharmacist in the dispensary who can give advice.

So OP, whilst the Pharmacy might be a better option for some people, it doesn't work around her - and in many other rural areas.

SingingInTheRainstorm Fri 27-Jan-17 17:13:21

I only just found out about it, so it's not widely publicised. I was only trying to be helpful.
Obviously for a cough that lingers longer than a week you need a GP. But I'm sure if you get cystitis, plus you have access to a pharmacy that can give you Trimethorprim to alleviate symptoms, you'd rather see a pharmacist first thing over waiting for an appointment.

Grilledaubergines Fri 27-Jan-17 17:17:43

Not all chemists are in the scheme.

Seems to be very taken advantage of though. People who can afford the Calpol etc and used to pay out for it, and now want it free. Yes this programme saves the NHS money but it could save even more if it were used reasonably.

Snifftest Fri 27-Jan-17 17:18:10

None of the pharmacy's near me will treat babies for ANYTHING, they always tell me to make a GP appointment.

SingingInTheRainstorm Fri 27-Jan-17 17:21:26

Just to add I thought since I didn't know and others I've spoke to didn't know, then it was something that wasn't widely advertised.
It makes sense that should you live an hour from the nearest pharmacy, the GP is your obvious choice. In that scenario it goes without saying what you'd do.
Honestly was just trying to help. I think in some circumstances they will refer you to a GP, but they'll speak to the receptionist and say you need an urgent appointment, which you'll get.
I have seen it a few times in the doctors, parent has bought DC in as they have a sore throat, but said DC is tearing round the place. Obviously I nor anyone else knows their medical background, before that gets thrown in. I'm sure I read that pharmacists can check such an issue and prescribe what is needed should it be thrush or tonsillitis.

GlitterGlue Fri 27-Jan-17 17:26:52

I knew about minor ailments. I've used it for dc before.

Limit to what they will give to children though. But helpful to have quick advice on if a gp is needed.

Putsomepeasonit Fri 27-Jan-17 17:27:09

No speaking to the GP for you at our pharmacy. Back to the desperate phoning for an appointment for us if you've used the service recently.

AshesandDust Fri 27-Jan-17 17:28:30

I didn't know that-thanks for sharing.

pinkunicornsarefluffy Fri 27-Jan-17 17:33:51

This has been shared a lot on facebook a couple of years ago and it is not available in every area

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32826874

like7 Fri 27-Jan-17 17:35:10

Thank you - I had no idea. I must remember to consider it. I saw a private room at our local pharmacy the other day and wondered what it was for - maybe to speak to people privately..?

Wellitwouldbenice Fri 27-Jan-17 17:42:09

No pharmacist (and I have asked) has ever given me the antibiotics I need got cystitis. They just offer the over the counter remedy that doesn't work that I can find myself confused

icy121 Fri 27-Jan-17 17:42:13

Tbh if you just want to relieve the symptoms of cystitis a couple of teaspoons of bicarb of soda in a big glass of tepid water will do the job...

Biscuitsneeded Fri 27-Jan-17 17:42:31

I get my blood tests done at Sainsbury's. Hospital trained phlebotomist as opposed to rusty practice nurse, in and out in a very short time. Results at my GP the next day.

Wellitwouldbenice Fri 27-Jan-17 17:43:30

Icy - not for bad cystitis. That really doesn't work.

goldleaftea Fri 27-Jan-17 17:43:44

Ive got emergency insulin for my son from Boots recently...i'm in Scotland...

Crumbs1 Fri 27-Jan-17 17:44:18

Free minor ailment medication for babies is not available in all areas. It entirely depends on commissioning arrangements.

ExcellentWorkThereMary Fri 27-Jan-17 17:44:43

Oh I love my local pharmacist! I go to him first with everything. He will always tell me if I need a doctor. I take the kids to him too, first port of call.

Crumbs1 Fri 27-Jan-17 17:45:17

But anyone can get an emergency dose of prescription medicine from a pharmacy (if it is already prescribed).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now