Talk

Advanced search

To serve gammon in Coca Cola, egg and chips at a dinner party?

(14 Posts)
Shhhhhhhh Fri 27-Jan-17 12:16:51

Well not me actually, it's DS 17 who is cooking.

We're in London for uni interviews for few days. DS has just got interested in cooking and he asked me to pick up a gammon so he could cook me dinner tonight smile. My best friend from college and her fiancé have just moved to London from Spain so I suggested we invite them to dinner too as DS loves them to bits.

DS has just asked me to pick up some "cheap coke" and announced the menu tonight is gammon cooked in coke with egg and chips grin Not quite what I expected...

BF and her fiance are total foodies, in fact, he works in the restaurant industry. Luckily they also have a sense of humour (and no history of heart disease or diabetes).

The thing is, I am supposed to be making a starter and dessert. WTF goes with coked up pork?

PurpleDaisies Fri 27-Jan-17 12:19:58

I'd be happy with that!

Maybe you could do a starter of sonething like chicken wings, onion rings, mozzarella sticks (American diner type food)?

For dessert, brownie sundaes with salted caramel sauce?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Fri 27-Jan-17 12:21:15

It sounds gorgeous. Any room for a Little one. grin

EveOnline2016 Fri 27-Jan-17 12:21:32

I would invite them saying dd is cooking and the menu.

Egg chips and gammon is my favourite dinner. I would be happy.

SumThucker Fri 27-Jan-17 12:23:10

I'd love it smile

How about lemon posset for dessert? Very simple to make.

GinIsIn Fri 27-Jan-17 12:26:01

We cook ours in ginger beer but it's a firm favourite at ours - I say do it!

LaurieMarlow Fri 27-Jan-17 12:29:13

Sounds great. Ham in coke is a Nigella recipe, so will appeal to the foodies.

I'd stick with a trashy, retro theme for the rest. Deconstructed prawn cocktail? Mississippi mud pie?

WorraLiberty Fri 27-Jan-17 12:29:19

It's not a 'dinner party' though is it?

You're just asking friends over for some dinner.

It sounds lovely!

Katy07 Fri 27-Jan-17 12:29:48

Yummy! Onion rings and brownie. What time should we arrive?

Sandsnake Fri 27-Jan-17 12:32:53

Sounds like a lovely, relaxed evening with people who are at ease with themselves and each other. Your DS sounds great. Starter wise you could go a bit more fancy like scallops with pea puree (additional pancetta if you want to go double pork...grin). Alternatively you could stay 'on theme' and choose something more pubby, like stuffed potato skins. I'd probably go with the former though, so they don't get too full!

GoldenBlue Fri 27-Jan-17 12:35:52

Don't use too cheap cola though it does make a difference. The nigella recipe is good

sleepwhenidie Fri 27-Jan-17 12:37:48

Start with nachos. Finish with brownies. Sounds great.

maddiemookins16mum Fri 27-Jan-17 12:40:16

Yes, it's fine but use proper "fat coke". If he does proper chunky chips too it sort of all goes nicely. I also agree with the "American" themed ideas for starter and pudding.
Shall I bring wine ☺

Shhhhhhhh Fri 27-Jan-17 12:44:21

WorraLiberty no, it's not quite a "proper" dinner party but DS wants to get out the candlesticks, linen napkins, and set the table formally grin

Pea puree and scallops, and lemon posset sound delicious and exactly what I'd want to counteract the heavy ham, egg and chips. I suspect DS will prefer to carry on the theme with things like onion rings and chocolate brownies. Or maybe a Jello salad.

Whatever, it is, I'm sure it's going to be a lovely evening. Thanks for all the ideas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now