Talk

Advanced search

to not understand mum blogging

(229 Posts)
stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 27-Jan-17 11:43:13

I can understand why people do it, they have something to do, feel busy and hopefully get advertorials or some sort of money

Its the readers, why would you read a blog written by a bog standard Mum? isn't there anything better to read?

about life as a working Mum of 2 crazee kids, my commute and LIDL versus Waitrose, and some nicked recipes

I means that's boring right? confused

MimiSunshine Fri 27-Jan-17 11:55:09

I know what you mean. I just recently stumbled across a twin Mum blog.
It's just all 'we did this and that then the other' oh but times two obviously as it's twins 😕

Same for the Instagram mummies who must be constantly looking at 'scenes' in their home to stage and take a picture of to then upload with #lovinglife #myworldrightthere🌍
I often wonder what the children will grow up to think when they see virtually their every moment online suitability filtered

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 27-Jan-17 20:11:32

''Tis strange and clearly so o dull no one even cares to opine ! grin

Nicknacky Fri 27-Jan-17 20:13:32

Do you think people actually felt "blessed" before Facebook?! It makes my teeth itch when I see that. Can't explain why.

ArriettyClock1 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:15:07

Nor for me, I find most blogs pretty cringey.

But some people must love them, otherwise there wouldn't be eleventy billion of the blessed things.

Sparklingbrook Fri 27-Jan-17 20:16:11

I agree, mummy blogging is vv strange.. But a word of caution. A thread like this last year started stating examples of such blogs. One blogger appeared on the thread, very angry and it all got a bit messy.

Lockheart Fri 27-Jan-17 20:17:15

My cousin has one. It's all positive happy clappy mummy bloggy but to be quite frank it's painfully obvious she does it because she's bored out of her skull now she's left work.

Somerville Fri 27-Jan-17 20:18:13

I think the only people who read blogs are other bloggers. They all just pat each other on the back while blagging freebies off the back of the multiple hits of other bloggers who are blogging the same freebies.

Good luck to them!

Cagliostro Fri 27-Jan-17 20:24:26

I wouldn't read a regular 'mum blog', I read a couple of home education ones though as it's good to share ideas/projects and I write my own with a few reviews etc but it's mostly for family TBH as they like to see what the kids are doing in home ed (it's more like a diary). I don't promote it at the moment as I don't think I'm saying anything particularly interesting grin

WorraLiberty Fri 27-Jan-17 20:31:14

I don't understand it either, or 'fashion bloggers' for that matter.

Whenever anyone has linked to a blog on here, I've lost the will to live after the first paragraph.

Each to their own but I still can't understand why they appeal to some people.

Surreyblah Fri 27-Jan-17 20:32:44

I like the odd food blog on pinterest.

Fallonjamie Fri 27-Jan-17 20:36:46

I agree. I am also annoyed by the threads on MN which state 'just need to get it out there' or 'just need to get this down', 'sorry, just need to vent/rant'.

Fine. But WHY do you want other people to read it? Can't you have thoughts without other people hearing about them? Couldn't you write it down and throw it away?

DrDreReturns Fri 27-Jan-17 20:38:51

I've never understood any kind of blogging. A 'blogfest' sounds like hell on earth.

Sparklingbrook Fri 27-Jan-17 20:46:10

Some of the mummy bloggers pictures are hmm. I do wonder if the children will grow up and ask their Mum 'Why?'.

Keep a diary if you must log every second of your life.

fiorentina Fri 27-Jan-17 20:46:35

I think there are some that are valuable. A few about examples of dealing with children with additional needs etc. I read fashion/lifestyle/garden blogs as it's cheaper than a magazine. I'm well aware they are paid to advertise etc. I still
get some inspiration.

Yukbuck Fri 27-Jan-17 20:55:30

While I agree that some of them are a bit cringe #yummymummy I do like some of them. But just things that interest me. The twins one might seem boring to some, but to other mum's with twins. It might be nice for them to read what others are going through. Like I say, they aren't for everyone but people obviously like them as these people can end up making lots of money. Trust me... the ones who move onto YouTube vlogging... I think you'd be surprised how much they are earning! Many people have millions of subscribers so the vlogging/ blogging world is obviously an up and coming generational thing!

OneWithTheForce Fri 27-Jan-17 20:56:12

You know what's even more hmm than mummy blogs? Mummy vlogs! My DS is 7 and stumbled across "shot of the yeagers" on YouTube. I've watched a few and I keep waiting for the 'point' but it doesn't happen. It's literally just a video of her doing the school run or driving to a restaurant but they don't actually film inside the restaurant. She just resumes she filming in the car and tells you that they had a great meal but now every one is "super tired" and then it cuts to a clip of her DC in their pyjamas and one is usually crying and trying to stay awake to yell the obligatory "subscribe to our channel"

WHAT.THE.ACTUAL.FUCK??? confused

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 27-Jan-17 20:56:52

Well we're all on here talking about bog standard mum things aren't we? This website, that you are posting on, is called Mumsnet. grin

You must get it deep down, because you're part of it.

HughJarss Fri 27-Jan-17 20:56:54

I follow a few blogs. A few years ago I followed Momastery (an American writer called Glennon) and her writing got me through some really dark times. I also absolutely love Constance Hall. (I should add that I'm not either of this women but I wish I knew them IRL) I think bloggers get an unnecessary hammering on MN. Some of them are great, some aren't. Don't like, don't read.

gunting Fri 27-Jan-17 20:59:07

I work in PR so speak to mummy bloggers a lot. I always wonder what on earth I'd write about if I had one. God knows how they come up with it all!

lk26 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:59:53

They all speak their own special language and all like the same things. Rose gold is very popular with these bloggers. And primark hauls. Oh and you must drape fairy lights over your bed when you're filming. !

gunting Fri 27-Jan-17 21:04:52

Lk those haul videos are funny... they are usually given all of that stuff from the company to talk about.

FannyUmbongo Fri 27-Jan-17 21:07:25

I don't understand how people make money out of a blog. I don't even know what a blog is blush

lk26 Fri 27-Jan-17 21:10:00

Never do a Waitrose haul do they !! Sadly think they sell their souls to the devil and those of their children too. Must be a lot of pressure to keep up those perfect instagram styled lifestyles they all have.

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 27-Jan-17 21:11:11

Not a fan of mum blogs. There are some good ones out there, but absolutely anyone can start a blog and you have to wade through a lot of shite.

They tend to fall into two categories though. On one side you have the 'perfect' family blogs with the amazing husbands, 3 kids and immaculate kitchen types. And the other side you get the 'I've forgotten what my kids names are, look how messy my house is, is it gin o' clock yet?' types.

Both types are kind of irritating.

SloanePeterson Fri 27-Jan-17 21:13:56

The only one I read is The Harridan, and that's because that woman can write. Someone linked it here a while ago and it was the first time id ever genuinely found a blog funny. I know someone who has quite a successful blog and it's all very carefully curated. Her dc are getting to an age where they're going to object to being so exposed I think, no idea what she'll do then.

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Fri 27-Jan-17 21:17:15

I don't get it either. An old friend of mine has a Vlog. It comprises of videos of her sat on the grass while her youngest plays, or them playing on consoles, or going somewhere in the car with my friend saying 'So today we're going toy shopping, are you ready kids?'

Bizarre

WorraLiberty Fri 27-Jan-17 21:17:16

ShowMePotatoSalad, chatting to people online is completely different to sitting and reading someone's online diary confused

glueandstick Fri 27-Jan-17 21:20:57

Hmm. I blog. Perhaps I need to have a word with myself. But on the whole also hate the 'mummyblog'. Smug twats and highly irritating.

OneWithTheForce Fri 27-Jan-17 21:23:01

What do you blog about glue?

glueandstick Fri 27-Jan-17 21:27:16

Food, travel, science, homes/gardens. All sorts really. Stuff I find interesting and has broadened my horizons. A sort of drivelling lifestyle Wikipedia.

seabreezewavingtrees Fri 27-Jan-17 21:27:31

An Instagram account kept coming up on my feed of this wonderful mummy and her baby. Under each post she hashtagged her baby's name as though the baby was famous and people would type that name into search and find her baby's Instagram feed.
There were lots of staged pictures of the home and it was aimed at the general public or at least other parents, but was very mundane. Ie pic of baby asleep, pic of baby awake, pic of new spoon. The blog address was always written her each post and I had a nose at the blog, it featured the same pictures and then quite long winded articles about the milestones the baby was reaching. It wasn't educational or helpful nor was it one of those self depicting "I'm a bit shit don't worry we all are I hope that makes you feel better" type ones. It was just like a diary of a stranger's baby and I don't know why you'd be interested unless you knew the mother very well, perhaps of you were the baby's aunt or grandp.
I knew the mum's friend and mentioned that my feed was showing a lot of this mum's pictures; my friend told me that the mum was struggling with pnd and felt that being a mum just wasn't how she'd envisaged. After that I started to wonder if the blog and instagram were a kind of therapy for her.
I'm sure it's not the case for all - some people blog simply to make money from ads or for their cv or because they genuinely believe they have something interesting to say.
But if you feel very down and as though things aren't how they should be, an aspirational blog allows you to put on a front to show everyone else that things are going well, very well. Fake it until you make it. It's not the worst idea

MaudPie Fri 27-Jan-17 21:29:00

I love diy/renovation blogs so not averse to blogs in principle but just can't get on board with "mummy blogs" - they are either mundane or feel as if they are trying to prove themselves. That said, I do hate read a mummy blog - she says she's "being real" (which is as fake as #soblessed but in the opposite direction) and I don't know why I read it because recently it's all forced adverts, but I can't stop!

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 27-Jan-17 21:30:08

I am not slating them - honestly fair enough ! If a tree falls down in the forest and no one hears it - did the tree fall ? That's my take

Just wondered who reads them !
And why mummies ?
Why not Clive the IT manager from Slough !

bananaleaves Fri 27-Jan-17 21:30:44

I like hurrahforgin, and there's a local one I read about having two under two that's quite funny. I'm a bit meh about it really, there are blogs about all kinds of topics out there, not sure why blogging about being a Mum aquires so much venom, people are mostly just doing it for fun.

HughLauriesStubble Fri 27-Jan-17 21:31:20

There was one mummy blog that I used to read because I found the author very down to earth andentertainging but slowly, the sponsors crept in and now 3 out 5 of her blogs are bloody adverts hmm

ElectronicDischarge Fri 27-Jan-17 21:32:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaudPie Fri 27-Jan-17 21:32:55

Ooh, I do love Hurrahforgin (and Peter and Jane - does that count as a blog? Either way it's bloody brilliantly).

OneWithTheForce Fri 27-Jan-17 21:33:28

So you have actual content then glue as opposed to just describing how you washed your child's vests? grin

MaudPie Fri 27-Jan-17 21:33:39

Brilliantly?? FFS.

glueandstick Fri 27-Jan-17 21:35:37

It's so easy to get free stuff for writing posts. However, you've to a very short lifespan as people won't read if it ends up a bit Channel 5 (adverts interrupting every 2mins).

I've come to realise no one gives a shit if you've got kids. Millions have done it before and little Jonny isn't the first to learn to crawl. What is good is finding new things to do, new brands and general stuff to enhance the sheer monotony of small children.

glueandstick Fri 27-Jan-17 21:36:51

I'm not averse to the odd stain removal tip. ;) sunlight has been a game changer to get rid of pollen stains. That's practically a public service right there.

FuckOffDailyMailQuitQuotingMN Fri 27-Jan-17 21:37:01

glueandstick

Do You blog about crafts?

God am I the only one who started out with Mimi Smartypants back when "Diaryland" was the only free platform and blogging was just being born?

I still read Mimi. She is one of a kind.

FuckOffDailyMailQuitQuotingMN Fri 27-Jan-17 21:37:59

Sorry loads of xposts - clearly I didn't refresh blush

rollmeover Fri 27-Jan-17 21:38:47

Peter and Jane is so funny, And Totes Innaporopes makes me laugh too (though that woman is really putting her whole life's out there)
I've don't read general blogs unless I've done a recipient search or something and it comes under that. I do wonder who reads them too.

rollmeover Fri 27-Jan-17 21:39:50

Recipient = recipe

ColdFeetinWinter Fri 27-Jan-17 21:39:55

I am bombarded with blogs about my hobby. I get that people like to share life and some of the blogs have the odd interesting posts but there are just so many. It's like publicising your diary except you're cleansing it for a public audience. The whole point of a diary is that it's honest reflection and not written for entertainment or show.

glueandstick Fri 27-Jan-17 21:39:55

Yup. Crafts- not a lot is off limits. A lot of pinteresting. It's all going to be in a new blog (once it has been created. I'm not technically minded enough to do it or care enough to learn).

LilQueenie Fri 27-Jan-17 21:39:55

Its a bit like big brother really but interactive. IK26 tons of waitrose hauls on youtube

MistressMerryWeather Fri 27-Jan-17 21:45:31

I think they had their place one upon a time before there were so many.

I imagine it's hard to get a good 'following' these days because social media has become so prominent.

PollyPerky Fri 27-Jan-17 21:45:38

I suspect some of them think they are being journalists and might be snapped up for a column in the Graundian or wherever.
Most blogs I've read are poorly written and just so boring.
The equivalent of making your day to day diary public.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 27-Jan-17 21:46:35

I like Peter and Jane too ! She likes a wine though !

lk26 Fri 27-Jan-17 21:55:51

I love reading Peter and Jane. Hilarious. Particularly referring to her husband as Gadget twat. Have one of those here myself. Need to YouTube Waitrose hauls now.

Nataleejah Fri 27-Jan-17 22:02:56

It was quite a thing about 10 years ago, when blogging was more of a novelty for attention seekers. Now thankfully people are more cautious about their privacy, and especially their children's.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 27-Jan-17 22:06:25

I liked it when she (Peter and Jane ) said she had to avoid using the word 'stupid' when frustrated with the kids homework ! She is spot on actually - so I take it all back grin

yolofish Fri 27-Jan-17 22:07:37

Peter and Jane is hilarious, I really think she can write. Hope she gets a book deal..

marzipanmaggie Fri 27-Jan-17 22:10:57

I can why some of them can a bit of a lifesaver to people in the very first days of motherhood when you are shellshocked/sleep deprived and a bit all over the place generally. Or people with very specific issues such as a sick child or suffering from PND.
But generally they are a carnival of smug from people with too much time on their hands...

GoLightlyHollie Fri 27-Jan-17 22:11:42

I read a blog about a mum who lives quite near me in a large city (I don't know her but I know the laces etc she refers to) and then I realised that all she does is get given freebies to review or invited to events, also to review. It actually really bothers me, she used to write an occasional piece which is mildly interesting now all she does is reviews. Have been told that reviewers often get their houses painted and can live off of the freebies they receive if their blogs are popular enough.
I'd love to unfollow her but occasionally she reminds me of something which is coming out soon and that I need to buy tickets, so I can't bring myself to unsubscribe.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 27-Jan-17 22:15:25

I read loads of blogs - and I started off with Belle de Jour and Mimi Smartypants, fuckoff. I lose interest quickly if it's all advertorial, but if someone can write relevant, paid for content in their own tone of voice which I like, I'm fine with it.

FuckOffDailyMailQuitQuotingMN Fri 27-Jan-17 22:37:48

Judydreamsofhorses that's cool, I read belle as well before she was "out" - her writing was mesmerising but I completely lost interest after her identity was revealed.

I wish somebody would cook a fucking Ostrich egg in their "Waitrose haul" - I've been wanting to buy one of those for years but I just can't justify buying a giant egg for the sake of it.

lk26 Fri 27-Jan-17 22:39:48

I was given an ostrich egg years ago by a farmer friend who kept ostriches. Made loads of omelettes and scrambled eggs with it.
No idea you could buy them in Waitrose.

PickledCauliflower Fri 27-Jan-17 22:42:23

I don't read blogs. I get the impression that people use them to boast about their pretend lives.
There may be some good ones out there, but I avoid to be on the safe side.

RubyRedRobin Fri 27-Jan-17 22:57:12

I follow Part-time working mummy on fb, bloody hilarious. Love her and her real take on life.

GruochMacAlpin Fri 27-Jan-17 23:05:08

Loads of my fb friends appear to love Peter and Jane.

It's certainly better written than most of the blogs I've seen but I think I must be missing the point of why alcohol and swearing is so funny.

JonHammAndCheese Sat 28-Jan-17 04:27:44

Behold, the only mum blog you will ever need. Start at the beginning, I implore you.

mythreeangles.com/

calli335 Sat 28-Jan-17 06:46:09

My dds love watching Daily Bumps on You Tube. Drives me crackers! They then take on the accents.

heron98 Sat 28-Jan-17 06:46:19

I also read The Harridan as she's a good writer.

However the rest? Meh.

A woman I was at school with has a fairly successful blog and is always being sent free stuff to promote on it by companies. I just don't get it.

It's fucking dull - her and her children and their normal lives. It isn't funny, well-written, or interesting.

I don't understand it.

BoredOnMatLeave Sat 28-Jan-17 07:01:16

I like man vs baby blush but I guess technically not a mummy blog

nigelforgotthepassword Sat 28-Jan-17 07:10:59

I know a mum blogger that I used to employ in one of my care homes. Her blog, when I've read it, makes me laugh really because it's 98% utter bollocks.
But then she seems to be doing nothing out of it as she has left work to 'just concentrate on the blog'. She wasn't earning loads at the care job (and she was,in fairness, godawful at it, so its probably better for her and the elderly people that she's jacked it in), but at least she must be making the equivalent putting a highly stylised (fake) version of her life on the Internet.
It's not interesting particularly so not sure who would read it regularly, but clearly people do!

ChippyDucks Sat 28-Jan-17 07:18:56

I also read Peter and Jane, and Hurrah for Gin but until now, I never really saw them as blogs, just chatty facebook pages blush

Deathraystare Sat 28-Jan-17 07:24:56

Happy clappy? They must all be off their face on gin!!

Lessthanaballpark Sat 28-Jan-17 07:25:07

I came on this thread to agree with you but then, seeing the recommendations for Peter and Jane, got waylaid by it. Seriously funny. Harridan is good too.

Thanks OP!

OnceIWas7YearsOld Sat 28-Jan-17 07:32:48

Man vs Baby is hilarious on Facebook. As is Hurrah for Gin.

I used to like the Unmumsy Mum. Well I still do. But I feel she sold out a bit. Like she's just everywhere now.

What I do enjoy about these bloggers on Facebook are the comments though, where mums share their own stories. Some of them are bloody hilarious. Someone posted a photo on the Unmumsy Mums page of her seven year old son, when they were Christmas tree shopping. He has put himself through the netting machine when her back was turned

Hassled Sat 28-Jan-17 07:39:39

What I don't understand is how people know its there. So say today I write a blog about my fascinating life hmm and post it wherever you post these things - how does one stumble across it? Are there people actively searching for new blogs to read? Is it just effectively word of mouth that means this blog is popular, that blog has one reader?

Suzietwo Sat 28-Jan-17 07:47:05

It's the ones who are 'bittersweet' funny which make me most stabby

Someone up thread said 'nobody cares if you've got kids'. THAT

I also loathe how the 'funny' ones make it out to all be so hard all the time.

Ebbenmeowgi Sat 28-Jan-17 07:56:51

I used to read my shitty twenties - really funny, honest account of life as a single mum.

Also know someone who blogs about his perfect family. It's very stylised and dull, but he has v bad depression so I guess it's a form of therapy?

Hhuhh Sat 28-Jan-17 07:57:00

My dds love watching Daily Bumps on You Tube. Drives me crackers! They then take on the accents.

Mine too. I draw the line at the Shaytards. They also love Family Fun Pack, who have a channel, all their kids have their own channel, and a kids cooking channel. They make a shit ton of money I'm sure. The not even veiled advertising makes me sick frankly. Let's eat seventeen different kinds of OREOS, do they taste nice kids? And the things they do.... let's ride bikes and a boat down the stairs, let's jump off furniture... Bonkers.
There is one Mormon family I like watching with them as the mum appears so lovely and an actual human being

SemiNormal Sat 28-Jan-17 08:01:57

A LOT of blogs host giveaways through Rafflecopter or Gleam. They then set the options to on those to follow with BlogLovin', Twitter, Facebook, give them Klout, Comment on other blog posts, Subscribe to Youtube/Instagram/Pinterest etc - all of these options will get you extra entries into the giveaway. If it's a fairly decent prize there are LOADS of people who will follow on all these platforms which obviously massively boosts the blogs numbers. Those who run them all the time, well I imagine that only a small handfull of follows will actually read the blog.
The more followers/subscribers then the more companies will pay you for posts or give you really nice things to review and keep, also a lot will give you stuff to host giveaways. Then there are the affiliate links that people make money from. (I only know this because I used to be a 'Comper' - someone who enters lots of competitions).

It's not my kind of thing but I see why people do it, a few bloggers have become extremely successful and have been able to give up work living off their blog. Good luck to them, I'd love to be able to work from home in my own hours - that said I think the successful ones will have had to really work hard for it. Personally I don't read them and wouldn't write them but each to their own.

steff13 Sat 28-Jan-17 08:20:56

Didn't The Pioneer Woman start out as a mom blogger? Now she has a tv show on Food Network, and a line of cookware.

I was under the impression that most people started them not necessarily to get other people to read them, but just for themselves. Like a journal, but online.

glitterazi Sat 28-Jan-17 08:25:12

Oh, here we go. Thought MN was doing well lately, not had one of these threads for a while.
Last week it was people were middle aged and sad who did Rock Choir, and who sing awful, now it's mummy bloggers are pointless. hmm
Why can't people just accept others have different hobbies and not try and knock people down all the time?

glitterazi Sat 28-Jan-17 08:28:31

Keep a diary if you must log every second of your life.

grin
Says someone on MN writing stuff online for people to see.... grin
(irony)

Fueledwithfairydustandgin Sat 28-Jan-17 08:36:11

I love part time working mummy and Peter and Jane. Agree the unmumsy mum isn't the same as it used to be

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 28-Jan-17 08:38:39

Worra popular blogs have online communities of their own. Blog posts end up acting as discussion points. It's not exactly the same but it's a very similar premise.

sobeyondthehills Sat 28-Jan-17 08:42:13

blushes I write a blog and it is hard work, if you want to get some sort of a following.

I don't have any freebies, advertising, anything like that.

Julia2016 Sat 28-Jan-17 08:42:58

Love the daily Peter and Jane blog! Very well written, the lady will definitely get a book deal.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Sat 28-Jan-17 08:51:02

Wow, a lot of nasty unnecessary comments on here. If you don't like the blogs, don't read them, no need to trample all over someone else's work in such an oh-so-superior way.

"I suspect some of them think they're being journalists"

hmm Nice.

These women are just parents, doing their best and doing something that makes them happy. No-one is forced to read blogs.

N.B. I'm not a blogger, I don't even have DC yet.

Alfieisnoisy Sat 28-Jan-17 08:51:23

Another vote for Part time working Mummy on Facebook. If you have a pre-teen girl I urge you to read her post at the beginning of January. I was crying with laughter.

Alfieisnoisy Sat 28-Jan-17 08:54:30

I used to keep a blog when DS was going through the diagnostic pathway for ASD etc.

I wrote at the beginning that I was not a great writer (I am not) and the blog was for my own thoughts. People were welcome to read though and some nice comments came in.

I no longer blog... no time but I do occasionally read it and remember how hard those few years were. Writing the blog helped. I am not a diary writer and a blog was set out and easy to use.

FearTheLiving Sat 28-Jan-17 08:58:31

I read one when I was pregnant called a Cup of Jo. I really likes that one because she had guest bloggers to articles who had raised children in America and another country and compared what it was like. As someone who travels a lot and is from a mixed race family I found that really cool to see the cultural differences in raising children.

LiveLifeWithPassion Sat 28-Jan-17 09:11:26

I know someone who does this and I think it is some kind of therapy/support for her. She lives far from family and friends and is trying to do the best she can.
I think it helps her to put a focus on her kids and give everything a positive tint.
It also gives her a creative output and she loves the supportive and praising messages she gets.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 28-Jan-17 09:13:57

Dull as fuck, smug and self absorbed

bananaleaves Sat 28-Jan-17 10:09:33

God, like I said, the venom! Who cares! Don't read them if they wind you up so much. I don't see how it's any different to someone blogging about their favourite board games, or cooking or whatever they're interested in!
My friend has one and I think only her family and friends read it and probably like to get a little overview of what's going on in her life at the mo, she doesn't expect to hit the big time or anything it's just a hobby.

bananaleaves Sat 28-Jan-17 10:10:14

I mean how many cooking blogs are out there? Millions! Do people get pissed off about those?

HopefullyAnonymous Sat 28-Jan-17 10:13:21

My ex has a blog. It's a smug boast about what a wonderful, devoted father and husband he is. The thing is, we have a DS (8) together who he has never even met as he didn't fancy being a father at that time. We have no contact and he's avoided paying maintenance in every was possible. It really made me feel so mad inside reading it.

The thing to remember is that what these perfect mums are blogging about could all be fantasy bullshit, and most likely is. I do wonder what shortcomings people feel the need to cover for by presenting such a distorted version of their reality to the world.

TheStoic Sat 28-Jan-17 10:14:12

Dull as fuck, smug and self absorbed

Described most of the posts on this thread.

I've read some excellent blogs, some not so great. Just like books, films, tv programs...

NerrSnerr Sat 28-Jan-17 10:24:33

I used to really enjoy reading blogs about 10 years ago when they were just diaries and pictures of things people do. It's more of a business now. I understand things evolve and just read what I want to. I don't see the point of slagging people off for doing it as there clearly is a market in it and people make money from it so why not?

KathArtic Sat 28-Jan-17 10:38:58

Yet we all come on here daily and read about other peoples lives

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Jan-17 11:17:14

glitterazi I don't share much of my RL on here and certainly don't post daily about stuff so not seeing any irony. confused

MN Talk is for having conversations.

glitterazi Sat 28-Jan-17 11:45:39

MN Talk is for having conversations

Yes, but it's also presumably a chunk out of your day reading "pointless day to day crap about people's every day lives*
which is what some are saying bloggers do...

Prettybaffled Sat 28-Jan-17 11:48:00

I like them! Find them interesting in the same way I would happily chat to a random stranger on the train who started a conversation with me about their day. Human interest in even the reasonably mundane minutiae for me!

Often get good play ideas/things to do for birthdays/days out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: