Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit pissed off with school

(6 Posts)
whydobirds Fri 27-Jan-17 10:35:06

Dd got a 'we are monitoring your child's attendance' letter home yesterday from her (small, primary) school, because her attendance last term was too low. Her attendance was just shy of the required 97% minimum (less than .2 of a percentage point under). 2 days off. 2 days during which the school specifically told me themselves she had to remain off as she had a sickness bug. Her attendance for the TWO YEARS prior to that was 100%.
I know IAPBVVU. But ffs. Either you have a 48 hr policy or you don't, and it is a bit frustrating to be getting a telling off for adhering to bloody school policy.
Grrr. Idk. Maybe when they ask for the reason your child is off they don't actually record it and therefore can't check reasons given for absence so had to send out a letter saying that while they were 'sure there may have been legitimate circumstances' leading to her absence (yes, yes there were, school office, you, the lady who sent the letters out, you told me to keep her off), I was damaging her learning by not sending her in (to damage her own learning by being sick on it, presumably). But surely the best way to make sure people don't send pukey kids in to infect the entire class is not to have a go at those who suck it up, stay off work and do as the bloody school told them to in the first place.
Yea ok. IAprobablyBU. I should just let it go. But it is frustrating...

Creampastry Fri 27-Jan-17 10:37:00

I agree but it is automated and part of a process. They have to issue these as there are kids not going to school for whatever reason and it is just part of the monitoring process.

Sadly there will be plenty of parents who don't give a shit about these letters... or their kids going to school.

2014newme Fri 27-Jan-17 10:37:09

It's an automated letter they are compelled to send. Bin it. Forget it.

Artandco Fri 27-Jan-17 10:38:19

I would just ignore.

I don't understand the insistence of sending in sick kids. Even if not vomiting, if they feel crap they aren't going to concentrate. As adults we might struggle into work dosed up on pills with stinking headache and cold, but for a 5 year old? I just let them rest and extra few days, extra naps, read at home if well enough so some learning done, and then can fully concentrate on return

whydobirds Fri 27-Jan-17 10:46:40

Ha yes I am venting on here rather than ringing up the (actually very nice) lady who sent the letter and WTFing at her. Just think even with an automated letter generation system some common sense could be applied as they manually put them in envelopes and distribute them to the parents...one of the other kids in the school was getting low attendance letters for the fact that they weren't in school for a week or so...because they were in hospital...following a nasty accident in the school playground...
I really need to unwedge my knickers and chill though I guess :D

LittleBoat Fri 27-Jan-17 10:57:38

I would mention this - but in a nice way. Not all schools have an automated letter system. And if they do, they've chosen to set it up themselves. What a waste of time and resources.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now