Talk

Advanced search

To think dogs should stay on leads if in a child's play park

(133 Posts)
chloe19856 Thu 26-Jan-17 22:50:27

would it be u of me to phone the local council and ask if a sign be put up for dogs to be kept on their leads in my local play park? There is a spacious field on the other side of the gate but people still let their dogs run around where there are children playing. I think this is wrong and I'm sick of my dd being too scared to go to the park because of the dogs!

DeidrePewtey Thu 26-Jan-17 22:52:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AppleMagic Thu 26-Jan-17 22:52:41

I don't think dogs should be in a children's play park at all.

Shakirasma Thu 26-Jan-17 22:53:57

YANBU whilst I think you should discourage DD from being scared about dogs, the children's play park is not the place for them.

Some people are thick though and need it spelling out.

RoseGoldHippie Thu 26-Jan-17 22:55:19

I love dogs but completely agree and I don't even have children yet!!

AuntMatilda Thu 26-Jan-17 22:58:38

I adore dogs, but I agree. If It's an actual play park for children and not just the green part of the park, they should be on a lead. I'm not sure about not being in there at all, as a lot of people have dogs AND kids.

WantedDeadorAlive Thu 26-Jan-17 23:00:08

Around here dogs are not allowed into fenced off playgrounds. They most certainly should be kept on a lead.

deidre you are obviously one of 'those' dog owners hmm....

There must be an understanding that not everyone is comfortable around dogs however well behaved they maybe. Unless in an open space and away from others keep them on a lead.

Yes energetic and friendly dog owner here wink

Rkd808 Thu 26-Jan-17 23:01:04

Most gated play areas ban dogs but dogs will still be allowed in the rest of the park. If there is sufficient areas for the dogs to run away from the play equipment and the area is surrounded by fence then it's not unreasonable to ban dogs entirely. However if there is no secure fence then it is unreasonable as it would be difficult to stop dogs wondering into the area, if that's the case I'd ask the council about fencing. Tbh even without fencing I wouldn't think much of an owner that chose to walk their dog in a play area rather than grass.

DeidrePewtey Thu 26-Jan-17 23:05:58

WantedDeadorAlive what do you mean by 'those dog owners'?

TrustySnail Thu 26-Jan-17 23:09:26

Childless dog owner here - I don't think dogs should be inside children's play areas at all. All the ones where I live have 'no dogs' signs on the fence - surprised this isn't the case elsewhere.

WantedDeadorAlive Thu 26-Jan-17 23:30:46

deidre assuming your post was sarcastic, please accept my apologies if it wasn't! One of 'those' dog owners- those who think their darling canine has priority over and rights beyond everybody and everything. Those who don't care about the feelings of others regardless of however irrational they may be. Those that insist their DDog is only playing.....

Coastalcommand Thu 26-Jan-17 23:40:42

YABU. As a responsible dog owner with a small child I see no problem. Only well behaved dogs should ever be allowed off lead in public anyway.

Crumbs1 Thu 26-Jan-17 23:45:16

Dogs should not be in play areas because of risk of flash attacks and risk of toxicariasis. I don't like dogs in busy town centres for same reason.

scottishdiem Thu 26-Jan-17 23:46:42

You are not being unreasonable. Its a play park and no dog should be off a lead. I have two pugs and one is very friendly, likes to say hello to people. But children and, I've found, those with Downs Syndrome can be particularly disturbed by his friendliness. So we dont go places where he can cause distress.

I would ask the park to put up either a no dog sign or dog on lead only if they can.

megletthesecond Thu 26-Jan-17 23:48:13

Yanbu. It's not fair on the dogs or the children to be charging around together.

Non dog owning dog lover who chats to any dog who comes near me.

DeidrePewtey Thu 26-Jan-17 23:49:54

WantedDeadorAlive it was not sarcastic at all. Dogs are horrible smelly things that shit on the pavement, bark incessantly and bite small children. They should be made illegal.

phoenixnix Thu 26-Jan-17 23:51:46

Agree with Deidre

And yanbu OP. Dogs shouldn't be in a children's play park at all.

DeidrePewtey Thu 26-Jan-17 23:55:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kali110 Fri 27-Jan-17 00:02:26

Wow deidre well thankgod they're not hmm i don't even want to know what you're last comment was meant to be.

Although it wouldn't bother me op, yanbu as some kids are terrified of dogs ( some for no reason).
They shouldn't be in there, or kept on leads.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Fri 27-Jan-17 00:05:36

Dogs shouldn't be in play areas

Deirdre you sound unhinged.

FearTheLiving Fri 27-Jan-17 00:06:39

Yanbu. It's one of the reasons why I can't take my poor toddler to her favourite park all the time because people let their dogs run around.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 27-Jan-17 00:09:12

DeidrePewtey is definitely unhinged - just ignore

If there aren't signs already banning dogs then I guess there's a reason for that, we need more information on the type of park really

Costacoffeeplease Fri 27-Jan-17 00:10:21

And DeidrePewtey I wouldn't have you around my dogs

NotStoppedAllDay Fri 27-Jan-17 00:11:01

No deirdre that's only if the owner lets them behave that way

The human is at fault here not the canine

Hth wink

DJBaggySmalls Fri 27-Jan-17 00:48:46

YANBU. I thought dogs were barred from fenced off play areas? They are where I live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now