Talk

Advanced search

Too cold for six years olds to be outside for PE for 45 minutes?

(277 Posts)
Married2aWelshman Thu 26-Jan-17 20:46:10

I'm all for getting the kids outside, particularly mine, but it was 0 degrees in London today and my DD1 told me that they did PE outside and they were all freezing in their tracksuit bottoms and school t shirts, also allowed school cardigans but that's it. No gloves, majority of them already coughing and spluttering as is the January norm. Some of the, crying. It's not like they were playing rugby and sweating their arses off. AIBU to have a word with the teacher in the morning?

MiniAlphaBravo Thu 26-Jan-17 20:48:08

If they were moving around enough it won't have done lasting harm. You don't get coughs and cold from being cold. The school may not have had the facilities to provide indoor PE.

Sirzy Thu 26-Jan-17 20:49:02

That wouldn't bother me.

Half the time at dinner children are taking coats and things off anyway! PE lessons will be lots of running around.

You could always get some thermal vests for PE days if your worried

NotCitrus Thu 26-Jan-17 20:49:39

Should be OK if they are running about for most of that time and it's not too windy. Dd is in Reception and still loving outside PE in that weather, and they still do lots of other work outside.

If your dd was cold, then ask what happened and maybe just tell dd to shift her arse more?

WeddingsAreStressful Thu 26-Jan-17 20:50:23

Yanbu. I come from a cold country myself, where 0 is the norm in winter. No PE teacher would take us outside in such cold weather in a tshirt and cardigan, no gloves, jackets or hats.

FearTheLiving Thu 26-Jan-17 20:50:28

I wouldn't be happy about it. I'm a total winter baby and love the cold but even I went out for a run this afternoon and was in pain from how cold it was. I wouldn't have wanted my child stuck out in it.

Servicesupportforall Thu 26-Jan-17 20:50:39

For goodness sake I grew up in the 70s and our house and school were as cold inside as out.

We walked to school and waited in the cold for buses. Played outside in all weathers.

Kids were slimmer and healthier then.

If they were cold they needed to move more so agree with you on that one they should be doing more vigorous excersise.

Geraldthegiraffe Thu 26-Jan-17 20:50:49

My 7 year old does after school football for an hour as well as outdoor pe for an hour this week.

shouldihaveanotherbaby Thu 26-Jan-17 20:51:34

I work with this age group and they hate putting their coats and hats and gloves on to go outside!!!! I have to nag them! They are running around and staying warm! Be happy that the school are getting them outside in the fresh air!

Married2aWelshman Thu 26-Jan-17 20:52:32

Thank you NotCitrus that just made me LOL I just needed a reality check. PMT and no sleep due to DD2 not helping the situation!

Fitzsimmons Thu 26-Jan-17 20:52:46

Oh dear. It was minus 4 here and my son had a great afternoon running around the park. Maybe your DD should move more?

Starryeyed54 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:52:59

I'm a teacher and I would take them outside. I always make sure they are wrapped up properly though (hats, gloves, coats etc). When they are listening to instructions we all jog on the spot to help keep warm. I've not had a child complain yet.

Bettersleepoutdoors Thu 26-Jan-17 20:53:32

I heard from 6yo ds today that he felt like crying when playing hockey outdoors as his hands were so cold.
FFS. It's not meant to be an endurance exercise. Surely it makes sense not to inflict pain and suffering on small children when your objective is to have them interested in sport.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 26-Jan-17 20:53:54

It's 45 minutes, they should have been running around enough to keep warm!

And you don't catch cold from the weather

dementedma Thu 26-Jan-17 20:54:03

In trackie bottoms and cardies? They'll be fine!

Bettersleepoutdoors Thu 26-Jan-17 20:54:09

Not permitted to wear gloves during PE.

Highalert Thu 26-Jan-17 20:55:03

It was bloody freezing today. I'm sure they could have run about in the school hall.

But you will get lots of replies from people who's kids run about in shorts in minus 15 temperatures.

Bettersleepoutdoors Thu 26-Jan-17 20:56:24

yes, you do catch cold from the weather.
having a cold nose significantly increases your likelihood of developing an upper respiratory tract infection.
Although the real issue for me is the level of discomfort and misery inflicted on little children.

Ankleswingers Thu 26-Jan-17 20:58:35

It wouldn't bother me; the more fresh air the better, even when it's cold.

They will be running around and the benefits of being outside are next to none. I wish mine were outside for PE- I can't bear it when they're all cooped up in a stifling hot school.

akkakk Thu 26-Jan-17 21:00:17

Tennis yesterday - kids had no issue and a number of them in just shorts and tops...

You can get thermals, equally you can get gloves suitable for pe (c.f. thin under armour style) And beanie style hats work well...

If these are not allowed, speak to the head...

There is no such thing as wrong weather, only wrong clothing...

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 26-Jan-17 21:00:28

It wouldn't bother me.

I went out rain or shine. More recently my kids have been out rain or shine.

It's only British weather hmm

TealGiraffe Thu 26-Jan-17 21:01:26

Half the time we are battling to get coats ON the kids! I was on duty today at break. I had on normal clothes plus a big winter coat and a thick scarf. I was freezing!

Then i see kids playing out in just t-shirts, i must have sent at least 6 kids back in for jumpers and coats. "Aw miss its not even cold though!!" hmm
Yeah ok, it was bloody -2!
I do think if they had trackies on and long sleeves, and were running around then they should have been ok. Not great if they were spending a long time standing about though.

thecolonelbumminganugget Thu 26-Jan-17 21:03:52

Poor little buggers. I go for a power walk (80s style) every lunch time and today was grim, I forgot my gloves and my hands were purple and quite painful by the time I got back to my desk. The rest of me was alright because as others have said I was moving about but hands don't benefit in the same way. The temp on my phone said -2. Won't do any harm but it is crap of you're 6 and have no choice. At least I was responsible for inflicting frozen hands on myself!

wifeyhun Thu 26-Jan-17 21:07:12

It was so cold here today I felt like crying. We still walked to school though. I'm not sure I would be too impressed with them outside for P.E.

Today at dds school they weren't allowed out for very long at break time as it was so cold.

theBaldSoprano Thu 26-Jan-17 21:07:56

Yes, they should be outside but with appropriate clothing. I wore a hat, gloves and scarf when I went for a run this morning. Kids should have the same rights, the wind was freezing this morning, it felt colder than on snow day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now