Talk

Advanced search

To think if something is advertised as 'ripe and ready' it should be just that?

(13 Posts)
gunsandbanjos Thu 26-Jan-17 18:05:53

Yes I'm looking at you Sainsbury's.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's a small issue but it really grates my nipples.

Advertising avocados as ripe and ready to eat is such bullshit in Sainsbury's, I'm yet to find many that are. Lidl seem to manage it no problem.

I understand they don't want stuff with a stupidly short shelf life but then don't advertise them as ripe!

I bought nectarines the other week from Sainsbury's (I know they're not in season but I needed them). Four bloody quid they cost me and again labelled as ripe and ready, but had a plastic cover so I couldn't prod them to see.
I could have hammered in nails with the fuckers!

Again Lidl came to the rescue, should have gone there in the first place.

empirerecordsrocked Thu 26-Jan-17 18:17:02

They're never ripe. It's a lie. I had a pack of ripe and ready avocados from Tesco that were bought last Friday - today they are perfect.

Avocado roulette.

Seeline Thu 26-Jan-17 18:19:15

I thought this was going to be about Sainsburys ripe and ready pears. They're not.
They sit there as hard as rocks for days and then you look away and they've turned to brown, mouldy mush.....

RockCrushesLizard Thu 26-Jan-17 18:19:15

I had a ripe and ready pack of pears in June, that (in the fridge) were ready in October. Literally.

Parmaviolets13 Thu 26-Jan-17 18:23:31

Fucking yes! Asda did the same to my avocado. Even a few days later it was hard as a rock 😩

PippaFawcett Thu 26-Jan-17 18:25:33

This is the problem with avocado, it can rarely feature in a spur of the moment tea.

gunsandbanjos Thu 26-Jan-17 18:28:06

If they'd advertise stuff as ripen at home I'm ok with that, at least I know what I'm getting.
The 'big' supermarkets are the worst at this in my experience. Lidl is the only one with consistently good avocados that are genuinely ready to use.

I'm in a grump because my Sainsbury's avocados that I wanted for guacamole with my fajitas were shitter than shit.

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 26-Jan-17 18:39:20

The avocado lottery.

gunsandbanjos Thu 26-Jan-17 18:44:51

I feel I've more chance of winning the actual lottery than getting a ripe avocado from Sainsbury.

livingthegoodlife Thu 26-Jan-17 19:30:47

well i bought lidl ready to eat mangos 2 days ago at greater expense than their normal ones, yet when i tried to cut one up yesterday i could barely get a knife through it!

i find waitrose ready to eat avocados extremely reliable btw (i've never had an under-ripe one from there)

seems it's all a bit hit or miss with "ready to eat ranges".

MrsDc7 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:33:27

Ah this grates my nips too... avocados and pears are an absolute piss take - they both taste like shite unripe as well

gunsandbanjos Thu 26-Jan-17 21:40:43

Might need to give Waitrose a go, though it's really out the way. Lidl are pretty reliable but further away from me.

GladysKravitz Fri 27-Jan-17 11:32:40

Nothing is ripe and ready from aldi either. I always have avocados and mangoes on my kitchen windowsill that I eat in rotation, I never buy them with the expectation that I can eat them immediately. 'Ripe and ready' is a big lie - or maybe it's 'alternative ripeness' grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now