Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about my daughters nursery?

(38 Posts)
Nicknacky Thu 26-Jan-17 16:06:14

My little girl turned three in December and started the local nursery the week after that so she has been there 6 weeks or so.

I've not been too impressed with it so far, it's a bit grubby and letter communication is poor with them forgetting to give me letters but hey ho, nothing major.

I went in a couple of weeks ago and couldn't see my daughter and staff weren't sure where she was but I found her in the toilet and I spoke to her about asking the staff for help but she said she didn't like to. I had also spoken to staff and told them she was just toilet trained but might need help.

I went in today and again couldn't see her, I went to the toilet and she was crouched down behind a cubicle door hiding as she had had a pee accident on the floor (first accident at nursery, she's done well with very few accidents).

My issue is that I have no idea how long she was there. Staff didn't notice she was away either. I spoke to them twice about the floor and they said they would get the janitor to clean it up later until I pointed out the kids were walking through it, I even offered to clean it myself.

It's been a while since I've had a child at nursery as my eldest is nearly ten and I don't have incredibly high standards so am I unreasonable to be a bit concerned?

Soubriquet Thu 26-Jan-17 16:08:39

I would move nurseries

That isn't good ebough

trinity0097 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:12:09

That's pretty poor!

Nicknacky Thu 26-Jan-17 16:28:23

Thanks for the replies. Clearly my daughters care is paramount but it's the nursery attached to my eldests school and only one my cm collects from. I will need to think if there is an alternative nursery solution that I haven't thought of!

Niloufes Thu 26-Jan-17 17:09:22

Move nursery, not a good enough response about cleaning.

ThatsWotSheSaid Thu 26-Jan-17 17:10:59

That's outrageous, take her out.

wonderingsoul Thu 26-Jan-17 17:21:13

Her hiding in there is bit heard to say. Our nursery toilets kids can go as they please but we do call in every 5 or so mins if any one needs help.

The cleaning though inwould bring up with the manager. It needs cleaning then and there with a special bucket and mop.

Cutesbabasmummy Thu 26-Jan-17 17:57:08

I'd move her too. How awful that she's scared when she's had no accident and the staff don't know where she is! Imagine if someone came in and snatched her - would they notice?!

bilzero Thu 26-Jan-17 18:25:20

I work in a nursery and this is absolutely not OK.

arethereanyleftatall Thu 26-Jan-17 18:25:23

That sounds awful. I would do what you can to move nurseries.

Sunnysky2016 Thu 26-Jan-17 19:56:40

It's been a long while since mine were in nursery (youngest d2 12) but that I would say is wrong.

foxyloxy78 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:04:45

Not good enough. Move her.

CripsSandwiches Thu 26-Jan-17 20:14:50

Agree with PP. That would never have happened at DS's nursery - they would know when a DC had gone to the toilet and whether they needed help or whether they needed reminding to go. Those that needed help got it everytime. Change nurseries.

PenelopeChipShop Thu 26-Jan-17 20:16:05

No not ok. They should know where the kids are at all times, that is not too much to ask!

hatsandbagsandshoes Thu 26-Jan-17 20:23:15

Parents are not even allowed in the children's toilets at my DD'S nursery in case there are other children in there. There have been times the staff haven't noticed she's gone in there, but they always go and look for me, and would never leave a puddle in there either. I'm not sure I'd be happy with your situation.

Latetotheparty26 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:24:00

Not good enough, take her out.

Nicknacky Thu 26-Jan-17 20:37:06

I'm glad to read your posts and that I'm not over reacting. Feck knows what I would do about nursery for her though. I don't want her to have no nursery at all, need to have a think

I work shifts and could potentially put her into the one I used with my eldest but it means she wouldn't be able to go to nursery at all on the days she is at cm. I will need to have a think hmmmm.

ArmfulOfRoses Thu 26-Jan-17 20:43:40

Can't the cm keep her all day?

Reality16 Thu 26-Jan-17 20:44:32

I would pull mine out without hesitation and report the nursery

Nicknacky Thu 26-Jan-17 20:46:17

armful Yes she can but its her pre school nursery place.

Not good enough. Take her out

Katietwinmum Thu 26-Jan-17 20:48:50

Not good enough! My 2 boys are in nursery atm and the staff go with the kids to the loo . Hygiene and staff attentiveness is top notch. I would move her.

ArmfulOfRoses Thu 26-Jan-17 20:49:14

But it isn't a requirement that they attend is it?
It wasn't when mine were little so not sure if things have changed.

littledinaco Thu 26-Jan-17 20:50:28

Why would she need to go to nursery when she's with the childminder?
Also, would you not just keep her with you on the days she's not at the childminder?

A lot of people send them to nursery because they think they 'should',not because they particularly want to. As long as the childminder and you are doing activities with her, taking her out, etc she will be absolutely fine just starting school without going to nursery first.

Agree, the nursery sounds awful. I felt so sad reading you post finding her crouched in the toilet all worried because she'd had an accident sad

Nicknacky Thu 26-Jan-17 20:52:16

No armful it's not a requirement that she attends but frankly, I want her too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now