Talk

Advanced search

To move 200miles to avoid DS Father?

(4 Posts)
AwkwardTurtles Thu 26-Jan-17 11:46:33

NC but desperate some some advice or perspective. Haven't slept all week. Will try and give background without being too long winded.

My Son is actually biologically speaking, my nephew. I adopted him when he was 4 after my sister died, almost ten years ago.

There were 3 potential fathers for him, but Sis was living with one of them and raising the child with him. He was unfortunately extremely violent towards them both, and ended up in prison for a significant period of time after Sis death. He moved to his country of birth after he was released.

My brother phoned at the weekend to say this man has moved back to the area and is saying he wants to take my son back. He was never formally registered as his father.

I have no idea what to do, but my brother has suggested I uproot and move closer to him which would be the other end of the country pretty much.

Should I just wait and see what happens? Tackle it head on? Skip town?

Sick with worry and feeling very stressed out.

Crispbutty Thu 26-Jan-17 11:50:43

The first thing would be to see a solicitor I would have thought. And possibly the police too considering the criminal record.

If your son has been legally adopted, and this man is not even on the original birth certificate then he has no rights at all.

Having said that, I can understand your fears of harassment if you are in the same area.

Personally I would move, be closer to family, and avoid the possibility.

Crispbutty Thu 26-Jan-17 11:51:52

Have you got two brothers though? How does the brother who lives far away know about all of this?

AwkwardTurtles Thu 26-Jan-17 12:24:08

One brother, who is friends with the potential father's cousin's husband. We are all originally from the same town, I would think I would eventually hear about it from some common element, but given my brothers friendship group he's been clued in first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now