Talk

Advanced search

to not want to swear

(11 Posts)
Fakaleiti Thu 26-Jan-17 09:13:22

grin Video clip - BBC - Swearing

confused I was taught not to swear, but now even the BBC says it's OK.

shock Rather than being reserved for outbursts of extreme emotion, swearing is becoming mainstream.

hmm Am I being old-fashioned - AIBU objecting to swear words in everyday use?

Blobby10 Thu 26-Jan-17 09:37:35

If you are old fashioned then so am I!! Although I do swear when I'm very angry (and very ashamed of this btw!) in general its not part of my day to day vocabulary. Especially the f word. I hate how it's deemed acceptable these days sad

AntiQuitty Thu 26-Jan-17 09:40:46

Oooh, it's like being on a thread with my 76 year old mum!

Swearing in everyday language is hardly a "these days" kind of thing!

RentATent Thu 26-Jan-17 09:44:29

I find people who object to swearing superior, judgmental, prissy and, mostly, boring.

RentATent Thu 26-Jan-17 09:47:02

How do you define swearing?

My DH was brought up in a household where no-one swore and even now, at 31, his parents visibly bristle if he swears in front of them. At Christmas he got low-level told off for swearing by his dad. Yet, growing up "twat" wasn't considered swearing in his household but "bloody" was.

Blobby10 Thu 26-Jan-17 10:23:14

When I was growing up (70s and 80s) swearing was as OP mentioned, reserved for outburts of extreme emotion. I'm not talking about 'darn' or 'drat' or 'bloody hell' but the harsher words such as c* or f* or any of their ilk. Nowadays, the harsher words seem to be used as descriptive words and in everyday life.

Its purely a personal bugbear of mine and I wouldn't dream of saying anything to anyone who was swearing (except my own offspring) but I hate it.

Rent: Yes I am boring but I''m not prissy! wink
Anti: Nope - another 30 years to go before I'm that age grin

StillaChocoholic Thu 26-Jan-17 10:28:15

Ah I'm just imagining you guys are like my Gran who would insist she doesn't swear and quite likes to tell me off if I dare to swear on Facebook, yet she quite often drops the f-bomb!

I'm sure that none of you are my Gran really though grin

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 26-Jan-17 10:30:16

smile I like to save my swearing for special occasions.

shock It has more dramatic effect then.

sad Using swearing in everyday language actually takes its impact away, I think.

confused Are we all starting our sentences with an Emoji now too? Is this a thing now? grin

Fakaleiti Thu 26-Jan-17 10:35:27

grin ILostItInTheEarlyNineties

dollydaydream114 Thu 26-Jan-17 10:52:33

I swear all the time when I'm talking privately with adults in a situation where other people are also swearing and/or will clearly be fine with me swearing too. Swearing can be as funny, emphatic, appropriate or effective as any other form of language.

However, I don't swear in front of children, or in front of people like my parents and mother-in-law who wouldn't like it.

I don't swear loudly in public places where I'll be overheard by others, as it obviously makes a lot of people uncomfortable and I've no desire to make people feel awkward or upset.

I don't swear in professional situations unless I'm with a group of colleagues I know really well who swear routinely. I've worked in some offices where it's fine to swear and others where it's not.

Like most things, just a case of picking the right time and place really.

dollydaydream114 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:03:06

I find people who object to swearing superior, judgmental, prissy and, mostly, boring.

Hmmm, I think people who object to swearing can be those things, but none of the ones I actually know are like that at. My mum, for instance, is a left-wing liberal woman, a working class cockney and has a raucous and smutty sense of humour. But she doesn't like swearing in general conversation because, like a lot of people of her background, she was just brought up to believe that it was good manners. For her, refraining from swearing in general conversation is just something polite people do, kind of like saying please and thank you and holding doors open. I think it's mostly a generational thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now