Talk

Advanced search

Leaving one child for a few days and taking another

(11 Posts)
chocolatebubbles Thu 26-Jan-17 08:59:44

My husband is due to travel to Canada with work mid summer for a few days. I've never been and would love to go and he said it's no problem I can stay in his hotel but I will have to pay for my own flight which is ok. The problem is il be on my own when he's working but again doesn't bother me as I travel a lot with work so I'm used to pottering about. We have two children a 5 year old and a 4 month old. I was thinking of bringing the 4 month old with me on the baby sling as I'm bf and asking a grandparent to mind the 5 year old for a few days which he will love as they spoil him rotten and bring him out places so he wouldn't be stuck in the house. Husband thinks I can't go and leave one but I would struggle with 2 on my own in a new city. AIBU?

MTB1003 Thu 26-Jan-17 09:03:16

I wouldn't personally, but I don't think yabu either. Your dd will be with his gps who will take very good care of him and he will be spoilt so I think it's fine. How many days and has he stayed over for that many days before with his gps?

TheHobbitMum Thu 26-Jan-17 09:06:59

Nice would do this, doesn't seem over the top. Although my kids are very involved with GPs and often stay with them or holiday with them.

Msqueen33 Thu 26-Jan-17 09:08:13

How long are you thinking of going for? I'd probably go to be honest. If child is happy about going and grandparents happy to have them I don't see why not. A lot of kids in the holidays stay with grandparents whilst parents work etc and so long as they're relatively happy I'd go. Plus I've always wanted to go to Canada like you so it's a good and relatively cheap opportunity.

chocolatebubbles Thu 26-Jan-17 09:08:14

He stayed for 2 weeks with my mum and dad before when we got married but he was only 3. It was initially meant to be husbands mum for one week and my mum and dad the second week but his mum got ill. Other than that he would stay one /two nights when both me and oh are working away although I've taken a step back a bit from travelling due to ds been in school and grandparents not been able to bring him to school as they live too far away.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 26-Jan-17 09:08:41

I wouldn't hesitate. A few days with a jet lagged 5 yo will be horrendous, especially in a hotel. Much easier to just take the baby. It's not a family holiday, it's a work trip you're able to join - go for it.

chocolatebubbles Thu 26-Jan-17 09:12:14

We also have brought ds to Florida a few times as a baby and we brought him to NY a few months ago which he loved more so the more I think about it the less guilty I'm feeling

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 26-Jan-17 09:26:58

I would - a jet-lagged 5yo wouldn't enjoy or appreciate it.

allowlsthinkalot Thu 26-Jan-17 12:27:18

It's not something I would do. If it was a trip to Manchester, yes, but not Canada. A five year old shouldn't be too difficult to manage and baby will be in a sling so you'll have your hands free.

contractor6 Thu 26-Jan-17 12:49:20

I think he'd have a better time at GP, than being jetlagged.

Somerville Thu 26-Jan-17 12:51:05

Taking a baby you're bf and taking a 5 year old are entirely different propositions, and I think it's a great idea, as long as GP's are happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now