Talk

Advanced search

to show you these pictures of Danish children's packed lunches?

(340 Posts)
wallyfeatures Thu 26-Jan-17 08:06:03

I've followed a few of the lunchbox threads and thought it might be of interest to mumsnet to see what is allowed and typically given to young children here in Denmark in schools and kindergardens. I am a member of a closed facebook group where Danish mothers share ideas on packed lunches. The photos below are a typical sample of what is given to children from 3+ years up. The food shown would be enough for lunch and a mid afternoon snack. Happy to answer questions about what is shown.

FizzBombBathTime Thu 26-Jan-17 08:07:44

They love their berries don't they

Strongmummy Thu 26-Jan-17 08:08:34

So fruit, cheese and processed meat? Quite similar to here then?

Isadora2007 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:09:11

What age would they allow whole grapes from?

EB123 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:09:24

My kids eat similar style meals for lunch.

MrsNuckyThompson Thu 26-Jan-17 08:10:44

Is your point the portion sizes?

ceeveebee Thu 26-Jan-17 08:11:08

Interesting. It's quite hard to make out what is in each photo - what is spread on the rye bread in photo 3?
- personally I wouldn't give whole grapes or frankfurter sausages to a 3 year old for fear of choking though

Magicpaintbrush Thu 26-Jan-17 08:11:10

What is the item above the nectarine in the first picture? I can't figure out if it's fish or melon?

bigkidsdidit Thu 26-Jan-17 08:11:47

Some crackers or similar, some salami or fish, some fruit. It looks different to ours but fundamentally it's the same as a ham sandwich and an apple!

Helloitsme87 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:11:56

I work in a kindergarten (pre school) and there is a huge range of lunches. Most are similar to this

treaclesoda Thu 26-Jan-17 08:12:17

Lunchbox threads always have a lot of posters saying they don't allow much fruit because it's too sugary, no processed meat, not much cheese. These wouldn't be allowed in a lot of schools here. Yet Danes are generally much slimmer than people in the UK

wallyfeatures Thu 26-Jan-17 08:13:09

Not sure about the grapes, never got any advice about that. I do know that many parents here do not cut up the grapes. One of the lunchboxes pictured with grapes is for a two year old child.

PlayOnWurtz Thu 26-Jan-17 08:13:41

No different to what goes in here then.

Today dc have ham sandwich, banana, Apple, yoghurt and crisps . Some days they have a rice or pasta salad.

I think most countries do similar don't they?

stopfuckingshoutingatme Thu 26-Jan-17 08:13:55

I do love Scandinavia

and we cant even use the "long winter" disclaimer as its fucking Siberian today!

remember the typical MN is not a typical brit who will give their kids sandwich (white bread), crisps, kinder bar, sugary drink and a bruised apple for lunch

SalemSaberhagen Thu 26-Jan-17 08:14:12

Whole grapes and frankfurter sausages for a 3 year old? No way.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Thu 26-Jan-17 08:14:42

they give toddlers grapes? fuckers. I take it all back grin

wallyfeatures Thu 26-Jan-17 08:16:25

Photo 3 has, I think, as spread on the rye bread

Mackerel and tomatoe
leverpostej (pate)
frikadellar (sort of like a meatball/burger thing)
Creamcheese?

Photo 1
The thing above the plum is chopped up melon.

Trills Thu 26-Jan-17 08:16:44

Where are the pictures from?

Are you in Denmark taking pictures at school?

A year or so ago there was an article about school lunches around the world, and the pictures were heavily styled. They were more "ideal" than "typical".

wallyfeatures Thu 26-Jan-17 08:16:44

tomato

PaintingOwls Thu 26-Jan-17 08:16:45

It looks good. I don't understand the British obsession with cutting up fruit though. My DP still does it as a 30 year old hmm

AwaywiththePixies27 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:17:06

Is that a sweet on top of the middle sandwich/roll?

GinAndOnIt Thu 26-Jan-17 08:17:11

How do you pack up all those things with spread on without the spread either sticking to cling film or sticking to lids/other foods.

(Who's got time to be photographing their children's lunches to post on Facebook every day?)

picklemepopcorn Thu 26-Jan-17 08:17:16

Lots of fruit there, no crisps, lots of little tasty servings rather than one big sandwich. Looks nicer than the lunch boxes I used to see.

How do they keep all those little spread breads and crackers from sticking to each other and the bag?

wallyfeatures Thu 26-Jan-17 08:17:49

@Trills It's a closed Facebook group here. Mums share pictures and ideas about children's lunches.

Frazzled74 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:18:26

Can anyone recommend some bento style lunch boxes that are a decent size but not too expensive please? My dcs still take retro style lunch of marmite sandwich, yoghurt, Apple, packet of crisps and a penguin, blush but I would like to try to make it more exciting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now