Talk

Advanced search

To go to A&E? Gallstones?

(9 Posts)
Ehlana Thu 26-Jan-17 05:46:16

Was in hospital in November with suspected gallstones, blockage had passed by the time I was scanned and they discharged me.

Had an occurrence of same pain around Christmas and just left it, then started with it again last night. Pain is excruciating. Should I go back to A&E or just put up with it??

rosie1959 Thu 26-Jan-17 06:05:28

I have had gall stones and its ruddy painfull
I would make appointment with GP
Eventually had my gall bladder removed which has been a great release from any further pain

trinity0097 Thu 26-Jan-17 06:25:17

If the pain is too much to bear with home painkillers or lasts longer than a few hours you should go, as you might need antibiotics. The last time I went in to a and e with gallstone pain I was admitted for 8 days!!!

PhoenixJasmine Thu 26-Jan-17 06:29:14

I'd try for an emergency GP appt first if the strongest over-the-counter painkillers (8/15 co-codamol?) aren't managing the pain. Join the dreaded phone queue at 8am and ask for an emergency appointment today for severe uncontrolled pain.

The GP can refer you to the hospital if they think you need it, bypassing A&E.

Petal12 Thu 26-Jan-17 06:37:24

I would. I had countless attacks until "the big one", which saw an ambulance called and then admittance to hospital! I kept saying I felt a fraud there as we knew what it was and I just needed some strong painkillers but they insisted A&E is not just accident and emergency but also pain management. I've had mine out now but wouldn't hesitate to go. I've had two labours and id take both with no pain relief consecutively over having another gallstone attack

PlayOnWurtz Thu 26-Jan-17 07:35:44

If you can't cope at home with the pain then get seen. I got shot down on here for going to a&e with gallstones but considering I needed gas and air to leave the house it wasn't the wrong decision. Gallbladder was taken out as an emergency.

I recommend stocking up on Buscopan for when you get the twinge.

Mammylamb Thu 26-Jan-17 07:48:01

If the pain is too bad, go to a&e. It's really painful so I hope it gets better for you! Ps I used to use hot water bottles on my back and stomach and that helped a wee bit with the pain

NorksAkimbo72 Thu 26-Jan-17 08:08:01

My best friend's gallstones attacks caused pancreatitis, which she said was the worst pain she's ever had. Go to A&E and get it seen to!

Squeezed Thu 26-Jan-17 09:02:49

I went to ooh after getting additional pain that turned out to be problems with the liver. I ended up with an emergency removal once the liver infection subsided. I didn't go to a and e until the additional pain but only you know how much it hurts. They might be able to do a scan and see if the gallstones are worsening or give you better pain medication.
Gall stones are truly awful, I hope it improves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now