Talk

Advanced search

To confess or not to confess

(21 Posts)
BumDNC Thu 26-Jan-17 00:03:03

BF gave me an expensive Xmas gift of clothing I wasn't expecting which was nice. But I didn't check the washing instructions on it or forgot it was in a dark pile and put it all in the machine and it's now baby Annabelle sized item of clothing sad.

DC and I have tried to stretch this out and I conclude it is hopeless, it is ruined.

So I confess my sins? Buy a replacement and never tell or just never mention it ever again?

I think he would laugh about it but I feel terribly guilty as I only wore it once, can't really afford to replace it and have been a twat shoving everything in willy nilly on 40 degrees (it's wool)

Argh!

horsemadgal Thu 26-Jan-17 00:05:28

Google how to stretch wool. Think you soak it in conditioner.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 26-Jan-17 00:05:35

DC and I have tried A secret can be kept by one person but never by two. Just own up.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 26-Jan-17 00:09:19

Could you possibly win a Golden Ticket to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory OP? I understand he has a stretching machine in the taffy department which is supposed to be brilliant at stretching shrunken stuff.

BumDNC Thu 26-Jan-17 00:09:21

Crap you are right re the kids. They will use this info against me one day!

It's going in soak first thing tomorrow, I assumed it was ruined but there may be hope yet! Thank you!

BumDNC Thu 26-Jan-17 00:10:48

If I went to willy wonka's there would be virtually no hope of this thing fitting me again.

I did consider losing 5 stone to get back in it, maybe as a crop top?

horsemadgal Thu 26-Jan-17 00:21:35

Good luck

AmeliaJack Thu 26-Jan-17 00:25:26

Cashmere? What a shame.

BumDNC Thu 26-Jan-17 00:36:02

It's just wool. I don't know exactly how much I'm not talking £677 if anyone thinks it's a stealth boast it's more like £50, which to me is expensive (as I usually shop out of Primark)

PenguinsandPebbles Thu 26-Jan-17 00:38:48

If it has felted (likely if pure wool) no amount of soaking in fabric conditioner is going to rescue it, I'm afraid sad

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 26-Jan-17 00:39:37

What's to confess. You've done nothing wrong. Just explain what happened. Accidents happen to the best of us.

BumDNC Thu 26-Jan-17 00:40:05

How would I know if it's felted?

bellabelly Thu 26-Jan-17 00:46:44

It would look like felt.

bellabelly Thu 26-Jan-17 00:48:46

When i googled (shrank a woollen cardigan in tumble dryer) I think main recommendation was to soak in water & hair conditioner. Couldn't be arsed as the cardigan already had holes in.

bellabelly Thu 26-Jan-17 00:49:52

Or maybe it was fabric conditioner. Anyway, google it, you might be able to rescue it yet!

BumDNC Thu 26-Jan-17 00:52:04

I can't tell if it looks like felt although it's not soft like it was before, so I assume that it's possible it might not work. Will try this anyway I found a video and everything

I know I should just tell him but I feel stupid and guilty about it

paxillin Thu 26-Jan-17 01:07:23

I've done this before. Wool cardigan size 10 before, perfect fit felted cardigan for my then 9 month old after. Just admit to it.

Saracen Thu 26-Jan-17 01:11:21

Confess, but it really isn't a big deal. It was YOUR clothing you ruined, not his!

Decide how regretful to sound according to how much you'd like him to buy you something similar another time.

If you didn't particularly like it, laugh and admit that you are hopeless with looking after nice clothes and what a pity it was ruined so soon.

If you'd love to have something similar, go on and on about how sad you were to have ruined it because it was SO lovely, and how you've now learned a valuable lesson you'll never forget about washing wool carefully.

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 26-Jan-17 01:15:10

If its wool and it has shrunk down then nothing on earth will save it as it will have felted. It feels thick and not pliable.

I would either admit it or shove it to the back of the cupboard and if he asks about it, claim you have worn it but it just happened to not be when you were with him!

Seeingadistance Thu 26-Jan-17 01:15:38

I managed to unshrink a jumper last week by soaking it in cold water with loads of hair conditioner for about 20 minutes, drying it by rolling it in towels and standing on them, then lots of stretching and reshaping. It's not quite back to the way it was, but wearable and looks not too bad. I did this as soon I discovered the shrinking disaster though, but still well worth a try.

PyongyangKipperbang Thu 26-Jan-17 01:17:11

Just to check if its felted, can you see any indiviual fibres or are they all matted together? Is there any give at all in the jumper when you try to pull it apart?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now