Talk

Advanced search

To ask her for coffee again?

(36 Posts)
dontpullyourbrotherswilly Wed 25-Jan-17 21:14:35

I feel a bit pathetic to ask mumsnet for help here but I really don't know what to do with this.
Just as background - Not very long moved to a new area, became sahm, don't really have any friends here and not very socially confident.

So to the question, i go to the local playgroup, where i became quite friendly with another mum, at one point we exchanged phone numbers (for a different reason)
I asked her for a coffee , she accepted and suggested couple of dates - when the day came my DS was sick and ended up in hospital so I wasn't able to make it, texted her and she understood and suggested we made new plans at next playgoup. Due to other circumstances I wasn't able to go on that day. Then it was Christmas.
Now we have met again in playgroup but I haven't mentioned the coffee and neither has she.
I feel like maybe she was just being nice initially accepting my invite and in fact she seems to be quite busy and have plenty of friends (from what I can see in playgoup) and perhaps isn't really looking for more.
Would it be awkward to ask again or just leave it and move on?

Sorry for such a trivial problem- i just keep going back and forth on what I should do and I really don't know.

Mammylamb Wed 25-Jan-17 21:16:11

Just ask her. As for her having lots of other friends; that's a good thing. It means she can introduce you to more mums.

FoxTeaParty Wed 25-Jan-17 21:16:58

I would ask again, if she didn't want to I am sure she would of made her excuses.

WineIsMyMainVice Wed 25-Jan-17 21:18:28

Go for it! Just mention it casually and have a couple of times/dates to suggest. You could just say ßomething like 'we never did manage to get together for coffee did we? How about next week?'

booksandcoffee Wed 25-Jan-17 21:18:45

Ask again.

Magzmarsh Wed 25-Jan-17 21:20:16

Don't overthink it, just ask. Good luck op.

NavyandWhite Wed 25-Jan-17 21:21:09

Ah don't overthink it. Ask her again smile

dontpullyourbrotherswilly Wed 25-Jan-17 21:22:27

The thing is this isn't London, people here are super friendly and nice - so she might not say no even if she isn't that keen.
Then again i think if let too much time pass then it would be even harder to ask again.

So silly- feel like I'm trying to ask someone out for a dateblush

dontpullyourbrotherswilly Wed 25-Jan-17 21:24:19

Btw didn't mean to offend all Londoners.
I was a Londoner until recently and I'm still not used to how friendly people are where I am now (up north)

BalloonSlayer Wed 25-Jan-17 21:27:54

Blimey it's you who cancelled then was not available to make new plans, not her. She hasn't given you any hint that she doesn't want to meet you. Go for it!

MrsTarzan1 Wed 25-Jan-17 21:31:05

Ask her again smile

harderandharder2breathe Wed 25-Jan-17 21:39:25

Ask her! As you cancelled both previous times she probably thinks you're not that bothered even though it was for good reasons

carabos Wed 25-Jan-17 21:42:25

If she seems to have lots of friends then chances are she's a sociable type and therefore likely to be open to new people. Ask her again, you've got nothing to lose.

Leeds2 Wed 25-Jan-17 21:45:25

Ask her! She may think that you had previously cancelled because you didn't want to meet up.

Lynnm63 Wed 25-Jan-17 21:51:50

Ask her worst case scenario she says no.

dontpullyourbrotherswilly Wed 25-Jan-17 21:52:49

Thanks!
I suppose I should ask again. Maybe in person when i next see her?
How do i make it sound quite casual and not like I'm asking her out?
confused
I'm really rubbish at this.
Previously i made friends at work- basically people that you see every day whether you want to or not- and i have a group of friends from high school- again people you see every day whether you want to or notgrin
None of those friends unfortunately live within a 500m radius

Misswiggy Wed 25-Jan-17 21:56:54

Why don't you say "do you fancy asking a few mums for a coffee morning, I noticed u seem to know quite a few people and I don't know anyone"! That way you're killing two birds with one stone - you don't have to feel awkward meeting alone as u don't know one another well and you will hopefully get to meet a few mums.
As a mum who has been around the block a bit I think sometimes you can assume that people know loads of other peop,e, when in reality they're often feeling just the way you are. Just take the plunge and ask, it's important you start making friends before u start feeling isolated (this happened to me back in the day but then I realised no one was going to doing anything about it expect me) - now I know everyone!!

Turquoisetamborine Wed 25-Jan-17 21:57:49

Why don't you just add her on Facebook then message her? Less awkward than face to face. Suggest going to a soft play or something.

Misswiggy Wed 25-Jan-17 22:01:12

Just be honest too "I've moved from down south and don't know anyone - feeling a bit lonely" - if she didn't cop to that then maybe u wouldn't want to be friends with her anyway! I'd always make the effort to be friendly to someone moving from a new area as I remember what it was like myself.(I too, am a 'friendly northerner'! )

MimsyFluff Wed 25-Jan-17 22:01:18

Are planning on doing a Wendy grin

dontpullyourbrotherswilly Wed 25-Jan-17 22:06:08

I don't know how to find her on Facebook as I don't know her last name but i do have her phone number
Still i think since last time i texted and it didn't work out I should try to do it in person, even though it is a lot harder for me.

And that was meant to be 500mls (not meters, meters would be great)

donkeystone Wed 25-Jan-17 22:10:56

Yes, ask her again!

charlestrenet Wed 25-Jan-17 22:14:18

Say what wineismy said. It'll be fine!

Cel982 Wed 25-Jan-17 22:17:23

You're really overthinking this (I do that too). You cancelled the original 'date', she'll be expecting you to ask again. Just text her, something like "Can we make time next week for that long-overdue coffee?! Wednesday morning suits me" or whatever.

Bluntness100 Wed 25-Jan-17 22:18:11

Of course you should ask, you asked her, you cancelled, you agreed to set another time, and you have yet to do so, I'd assume you didn't want to be friends, if you do, then ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now