Talk

Advanced search

To get a cleaner?

(41 Posts)
FrenchieCurls Wed 25-Jan-17 20:54:22

So im a single parent to 2 and have a dog! I work full time. Recently ive been asking around work if anyone knows a good cleaner and turns out someone does. I mentioned this in passing to my mum who was horrified! For background she worked 3 days a week and was married when we were younger

greathat Wed 25-Jan-17 20:55:21

If you can afford it, do it!

Flisspaps Wed 25-Jan-17 20:55:45

YANBU

Twinklyfaerieglade Wed 25-Jan-17 20:56:07

Go for it

LaurieMarlow Wed 25-Jan-17 20:56:23

Do it

FrenchieCurls Wed 25-Jan-17 20:58:10

My mother is a judgemental sod

Badbadtromance Wed 25-Jan-17 21:00:01

Same as me op and I've just hired one. My mum was outraged too!

buckyou Wed 25-Jan-17 21:00:03

Do it!

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Wed 25-Jan-17 21:01:52

Yes. It really is that simple, who care's what your mum thinks? It's made a huge difference to my ability to cope as I felt overwhelmed by mess/dirt before, it was't festering but I have more relaxation time now instead of mopping the floor at 9 at night.

SwearyGodmother Wed 25-Jan-17 21:02:26

Why is it a judgment thing? It's ok to employ people to look after your teeth, service your car, dry clean your suits etc. Having a cleaner is an absolutely fine choice. There's no moral judgment or issue in it.

If your mum wants someone to judge you can tell her I have no DC and I don't work (and neither does DH since his redundancy, though we're working on that) and we still have a cleaner. I'd go without so many things before I went without her.

LockieS Wed 25-Jan-17 21:05:14

Please don't listen to judgemental sods

I clean for rich SAHMs, working families, people with disabilities and everyone in between! I even had my own cleaner for a bit

Cakescakescakes Wed 25-Jan-17 21:08:16

I'm a SAHM / carer and I have one. She is great and she also has her own cleaner!

ThirdTimeLuck Wed 25-Jan-17 21:09:13

My parents judged me massively when I got a cleaner, I didn't let it stop me and now my mum wishes she had employed a cleaner when we were younger. I think the attitude towards this is that a cleaner is a luxury, which of course they are in a way, but for a lot of people they are a necessity to allow them to have the free time with their family, rather than a waste of money type luxury.

Like Sweary, there are so many things I'd go without before I went without our cleaner.

StripeyDeckchair Wed 25-Jan-17 21:10:54

Do it.

But write clear instructions as to what you want doing in advance.

I've just sacked my cleaner as she wasn't v good. It's made me write specific notes as to what I expect to avoid this happening again

Elphame Wed 25-Jan-17 21:11:22

Do it - if it helps you are providing employment for someone else who needs a job

Notanotherpawpatrol Wed 25-Jan-17 21:13:55

I was a sahm to 3 under 5 when I hired a cleaner! If it makes your life easier then do it and ignore the judgment, it's no one elses business how your house gets cleaned

Mammylamb Wed 25-Jan-17 21:14:29

Do it. Your mum worked 3 days a week in a 2 parent household. You are on your own working full time. Take any help you can get or afford xx

wobblywonderwoman Wed 25-Jan-17 21:16:34

I would go for it.

By the way... Tell your mother less about your life.

WeddingsAreStressful Wed 25-Jan-17 21:53:40

We're two adults, no kids, no pets...and we have a cleaner. Everyone at work (London) has a cleaner too. Do it. You'll never look back.

FrenchieCurls Wed 25-Jan-17 21:54:08

Lol wobbly i would but my kids would tell her they cant hold their own water!

WeddingsAreStressful Wed 25-Jan-17 21:55:12

Do be specific about what you want. Not in a micro-managing kind of way but do make it clear what you expect.

FrenchieCurls Wed 25-Jan-17 21:57:07

I just want a thorough clean and the beds changing?

BarchesterFlowers Wed 25-Jan-17 22:01:09

I have advertised for a cleaner. I am working more than full time and DH is based at home, working more than full time.

I am cross that he doesn't do what I did when I worked from home and he just doesn't get it/see it/share my standards. So, to avoid tension I am employing a cleaner for 4 hours a week.

user1471453601 Wed 25-Jan-17 22:01:13

I'm retired and I have a lovely cleaner. Yes i have the time to do it myself, but no inclination to do so.

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 25-Jan-17 22:01:35

If your mum is judgemental, she's going to judge you regardless, right? (I have one too.)

So, kick back and enjoy giving her the gift of something to get a cob on about from the comfort of your beautiful cleaned-by-another home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now