Talk

Advanced search

to report my neighbours to the police?

(70 Posts)
LondonKiwiMummy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:46:12

Our neighbours are a group of young professional guys who don't think neighbours should get in the way of their lifestyle. Acceptable party nights can be any night of the week. Most recent one was a Tuesday.

After months of stress, lost sleep, and trying to discuss it with them, basically, we've gotten to this point:

- they make as much noise as they want until 11pm which they've decided is an "acceptable" time to make noise until. We don't agree but attempts to persuade them otherwise have gone pretty badly (shouting). Noise is thumping music and loud shouting.

- They turn the noise down (but not off) at 11, and not always graciously (we've had shouts from the garden at 11pm telling us to go fuck ourselves as they turn it down). Most of the time though they do turn it down at 11-ish but there is usually still a fair amount of noise.

- If asked to turn the noise down before 11pm (which we can do by text), they've shouted abuse from their garden at us, most recently telling us to "get out of your fucking house".

- Once after we asked them to turn it down before 11, the next day they frightened the children by screaming swear words through the wall at them early in the morning.

I'm frightened of one of them, he has a real temper and is not good at controlling it.

Council ASBO team were really good, and strongly recommended we report them to the police but we are nervous. It will make them very angry. My nightmare is that we report them to police, police go round and have a "lads will be lads eh" chat, and then they're angry at us for reporting them and then I've got my children living next to a group of aggressive and angry men.

They are private tenants, and no, their landlord could not care less.

nancy75 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:49:39

Their landlord might care if you phone him every single time they disturb you, no matter what time of the day or night

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Wed 25-Jan-17 20:52:06

Tricky one. This is a bit left field and I don't know if it is fact or not but is it possible that the group of professionals are actually using the house as a HMO and not a private rental and if that is so there may be other ways to deal with this.

Gallavich Wed 25-Jan-17 20:52:10

Why do you assume the police will respond like that?

elodie2000 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:52:13

'It will make them very angry'

Maybe but they are typical bullies. Bullies are usually cowards. Therefore Poilce involvement will scare them too. Especially if they are 'professional' people who, if they continue and end up with ASBOS These will need to be declared at work...
They wouldn't want this to happen would they?
Tell them that if things don't change, you will report every incident from now on.

JustSpeakSense Wed 25-Jan-17 20:52:19

Contact landlord every single time they disturb you.

Contact the police.

Tell the landlord you are contacting the police.

Keep a log of every single incident.

Good luck, persevere it will not last forever.

ImperialBlether Wed 25-Jan-17 20:53:35

Yes, I'd go down the ASBO route - I reckon they'd leave before that would happen, as it would be discovered at work.

mumonashoestring Wed 25-Jan-17 20:53:49

Perhaps in the first instance you could record them, then talk to your local police community liaison, explain your concerns and play them the recording, ask for the situation to be handled sensitively (i.e. no mention of a single complainant just generalised unacceptable noise, needs to be turned down etc). You have reason to believe these men will react aggressively and that should be enough to convince the police that this needs handling carefully.

Trainspotting1984 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:54:09

It seems strange the police would be appropriate since this should be dealt with by the environmental health team at the council. Are they suggesting a crime is being committed?

wowfudge Wed 25-Jan-17 20:54:42

Record them using a phone. Keep a diary of every incidence.

elodie2000 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:55:37

Also, if you tell the police that it's not just about the noise- they are intimidating and threatening you and the children ('Get out of your fucking house' IS threatening). I can't imagine a friendly police chat when children are involved.

LondonKiwiMummy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:57:06

I had an initial call with community police. He didn't give me much of a chance to explain the background and tried to fob me off to the Council, although at the end of the call he did begin to say perhaps you have got something there.

SwearyGodmother Wed 25-Jan-17 20:58:11

Look at closure orders as part of the asbo legislation. Our neighbour was locked out of his owned flat for 3 months for waking us up at all hours of the night. Our community policing team did this for us.

Tomselleckhaskindeyes Wed 25-Jan-17 20:58:34

Where do they work? I had a clause in my contract about my behaviour out of work. You say they are young professionals?

wheresthewine36 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:58:38

Wankers. Please report them to the police, OP. You shouldn't have to put up with their shitty behaviour. I had nightmare neighbours a few years ago so I know how utterly miserable it is. flowers for you.x

LondonKiwiMummy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:59:49

They claim to work in the City.

Writerwannabe83 Wed 25-Jan-17 21:00:31

Oh god I sympathise.

Me and DH own our house but the house attached to us is rented out and a year ago we had two men move in and they made our life hell for the same reason.

They'd play music loudly until all hours of the morning, they'd go out at night and return at about 1am with all their mates and have parties until gone 4am etc. They saved their parties for Friday and Saturday nights but they frequently played loud music on weekday nights until whatever time they fancied.

I'm a nurse so worked weekends so sometimes I'd be going to work at 7am after being up since 1-2am because of their parties.

Me and DH would go banging on their front door but they'd just ignore us.

On 2-3 occasions we did end up having full on brawls with the neighbours and their mates at 2am-ish in the morning, and I mean full on screaming arguments in the middle of the street because we were so fucked off with them.

We had an 18 month old at the time too who they consistently woke up with their noise.

I rang the company who rented out the home and actually cried down the phone to them because after months and months of it I just couldn't cope anymore. They then contacted the tenants who said me and DH were completely exaggerating and so as it was our word against theirs the landlords didn't give a toss.

I rang them again each time there was another incident and we emailed them too but it was all pointless as they just kept saying there was nothing they could do.

We did ring Environmental Health a few times who were much more helpful but again not much could be done. Like you we were too scared to call the police in case of repercussions as the neighbours were not nice people.

Thankfully, six months ago they both moved out and we now have much nicer neighbours.

It turns out from talking to other people in our Crescent many others had also cobtaxted the Landlords about the noise and parties and I suppose if they received complaints off 10 separate people they have to take it seriously. I think the tenants were probably pushed out in the end and they probably realised that our Crescent wasn't the most appropriate place for them to live considering their lifestyle. It can't have been nice for them knowing they were disliked by everyone and were having persistent complaints put in against them.

You have my sympathies OP as it's a truly desperate and horrible situation to be in.

Has anyone else complained or is it just your family who is being affected?

LondonKiwiMummy Wed 25-Jan-17 21:01:31

As far as we know it's just us. They are end of terrace, so we are most affected.

LondonKiwiMummy Wed 25-Jan-17 21:02:42

Ugh writerwannabe that sounds very familar - i'm sorry!

Ubertasha2 Wed 25-Jan-17 21:10:13

I a man so sorry that you have to put up with this obnoxious, antisocial, intimidating behaviour. They are a bunch of cocks and have no right to upset people in their own homes. Your home is your haven and should be a place of peace.

But they are obviously not going to shut the f up without a fight, and you need to confront the landlord firmly and politely, and report and record the tenants.

How the f do they dare behave like this? My old neighbour was a policewoman (MET), who on a Saturday night thought nowt of coming back at midnight, partying and shouting with her rough workmates outside until 3 am and was infuriatingly dismissive, then later quite rude when confronted. Eventually, me and two other neighbours complained to EH, who repeatedly contacted her which rattled her and made her realise that her lifestyle was incompatible with a Surrey cul-de-sac and that her behaviour had made her a bit of a pariah in an area where hardworking people are considerate of each other etc etc.

Eventually she moved out, thank god. She was the most vulgar, unpleasant, unneighbourly individual and I hope she is behaving better for her new neighbours.

WineIsMyMainVice Wed 25-Jan-17 21:13:35

I agree with the very first poster Nancy. The landlord will soon sit up and notice if you phone every time there is a problem!
Good luck.

Newbrummie Wed 25-Jan-17 21:14:04

I was told, don't know how true it is that up until midnight they can do what they like music wise, is that not the case ? We have similar neighbors issues

Sugarcoma Wed 25-Jan-17 21:17:22

I sympathise as I recently posted a thread about the cow next door who had a party until 4am last weekend when I had to be up for work at 8 the following day.

I definitely agree with everyone saying keep a log of every incident, call the landlord every time it happens (if you don't already know, you can find out who the property owner is on the Land Registry - it costs 3 pounds to download a title deed), get Environmental Health involved and as a last resort contact their employers (find out via LinkedIn).

In the meantime what about passive aggressive retaliation, like playing classical music really early in the morning? Or just ringing their doorbell incessantly at 7am.

AuroraBora Wed 25-Jan-17 21:18:40

Young professionals...

Do you know their names? I'd be online trying to find them and see if I could work out where they worked, then I'd be letting their employer know exactly what type of person they've employed.

Yeah that's bitchy and harsh, but there are plenty of decent, hardworking people in this country that deserve these twats' jobs.

Cherrysoup Wed 25-Jan-17 21:21:05

Log absolutely everything, call the police each time you feel threatened. Call Environmental health as often as you are disturbed at anti social hours. Don't give up. These wankers need to be made to live considerately. I feel for you, been there, done that and it has made me totally intolerant of any noise from neighbours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now