Talk

Advanced search

To uproot my family and move somewhere completely new?

(42 Posts)
Lifesagambleisntit Wed 25-Jan-17 11:45:39

I'm so fed up where we live - tiny flat, no garden, really cramped etc. We are a same sex couple with 3 children, baby and two toddlers. I'm a SAHM and my wife works full time but has a career which means she can work from home a lot and / or find a job most places. I really want to move mainly for more space but haven't got any idea where. I guess apart from space it must be v gay friendly and ideally creative, any ideas? Would love to hear about where you live!

VeryBitchyRestingFace Wed 25-Jan-17 11:51:15

How far would you be willing to move? (Scotland, NI)

Lifesagambleisntit Wed 25-Jan-17 11:55:42

Good point, I think to stay near enough to family no further North than Manchester ideally!

lilybetsy Wed 25-Jan-17 11:55:58

Where do you live now? Roughly?

Lifesagambleisntit Wed 25-Jan-17 11:59:04

South east England.

PaintingOwls Wed 25-Jan-17 12:00:27

Brighton?
Bristol?
Cornwall?
Wales?

Lifesagambleisntit Wed 25-Jan-17 12:06:49

We already live in the top place x

Cocklodger Wed 25-Jan-17 12:10:39

Wales is probably a good bet for decent house prices, and depending on the job she'd probably find work in Cardiff. Most do.

BadKnee Wed 25-Jan-17 12:14:58

Sorry what on earth do you mean by a "creative" place?

Creativity exists everywhere and in many different forms.

mistlethrush Wed 25-Jan-17 12:17:32

Hebden Bridge sounds ideal from what you've said, OK it's slightly further north than Manchester but not much. Very lovely landscape, arty and creative community...

Lifesagambleisntit Wed 25-Jan-17 12:22:08

Thank you. Will search Hebden Bridge!

Cocklodger - any towns or areas of Wales?

I guess I'm after towns as well as cities as, for example, Cornwall / Wales etc are big places.

Blossomdeary Wed 25-Jan-17 12:26:26

Herefordshire - beautiful countryside, reasonable house prices, lovely little rural schools, within striking distance of Birmingham and Cardiff for culture, easy to reach to M50 and motorway network, beautiful areas around (Black Mountains, Forest of Dean, Shropshire hills etc.), friendly folk.

Don't know about the gay scene, but I have seen no prejudice.

Blossomdeary Wed 25-Jan-17 12:27:08

Oh - and near to the S Wales coast for holidays - and Somerset beaches.

Welshgirl40 Wed 25-Jan-17 12:29:06

Todmorden. Some of my family live there, and it's a joy!

Welshgirl40 Wed 25-Jan-17 12:30:07

Fantastic gay scene there too, as well as being incredibly welcoming, artistic, string sense of community and great schools. I'd move there, if I could.

Welshgirl40 Wed 25-Jan-17 12:30:25

*strong

IndigoSister Wed 25-Jan-17 12:34:09

Didsbury or Chorlton in Manchester area.

daimbar Wed 25-Jan-17 12:34:48

Why not try Worthing, Saltdean or Peacehaven? You can get a lot more for your money and still be close to Brighton.

There is so many other same sex families in Brighton it would be a shame for your kids not to grow up with that around them. I am a biased Brightonian though!

MojoMoon Wed 25-Jan-17 12:37:02

Hebden bridge. Rumoured to have the largest proportion of lesbian residents in England although not sure how rigourous the evidence is.

Or todmorden is just up the road and cheaper then Hebden.

TV crime drama Happy Valley is set in Hebden. There aren't as many elaborate murders and crimes as the show suggests of course

Totnes in Devon.

Glastonbury

Bristol if you want a proper city.

givemushypeasachance Wed 25-Jan-17 12:40:12

Bristol is a nice "creative"/alt-friendly kind of place, but house prices are bonkers in many areas. If you're willing to live a couple of miles out of the city in one of the quieter areas, or a more up-and-coming but currently still run down spot then it's cheaper.

Lifesagambleisntit Wed 25-Jan-17 12:44:44

Thanks v much everyone, loads of fab suggestions. Going to have a good look tonight. 😄

AlwaysWashing Wed 25-Jan-17 12:46:11

Totnes is glorious!

Stonewash Wed 25-Jan-17 12:47:52

Sheffield?

holidaysaregreat Wed 25-Jan-17 12:51:51

Bristol
Stroud
Totnes
All laid back and hippyish/creative

Sonders Wed 25-Jan-17 13:10:34

I would recommend Bristol as it's very gay friendly a massive centre of art and culture, however it's probably no cheaper than Brighton in the urban areas. You don't have to go too far out of the city to save loads though!

I second Cardiff though, it's a wonderful city and an absolute bargain. I can't vouch for gay-friendliness but you get a lot of room for your money and a very cosmopolitan lifestyle.

Just avoid the city centre on Friday and Saturday night at all costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now