Advanced search

Social worker gave an abusive ex womans new address

(59 Posts)
RebootYourEngine Wed 25-Jan-17 10:26:44

Social worker 'gave safe house address to woman's abuser'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38719709

It doesnt say that she was struck off but she blooming well should have been

Teaholic Wed 25-Jan-17 10:28:31

That is not uncommon. I know a woman who was housed by council to get away from her partner and sw passed on address to father

xStefx Wed 25-Jan-17 10:33:08

OMG how the hell are you supposed to trust anyone, poor woman and poor kids.

Wtfdoipick Wed 25-Jan-17 10:37:24

Friend of mine is a foster carer and had a child removed from her care because the sw accidentally gave her address to a family member of the child. Mistakes like this are quite common.

HeavenlyEyes Wed 25-Jan-17 10:39:47

How on earth does this happen - am utterly appalled.

Soubriquet Wed 25-Jan-17 10:41:41

That is shocking

I can't believe a SW would do something like that

How can abused women feel safe if the police refuse to believe you and SW's hand over details to the abuser?

PatMullins Wed 25-Jan-17 10:41:59

How can this be a 'mistake'?

Frouby Wed 25-Jan-17 10:44:33

Slightly different but the CSA gave my abusive my address despite the courts ordering he couldn't have it and sending a copy in to them.

dollydaydream114 Wed 25-Jan-17 10:45:24

Everything about that story makes my blood run cold. Poor, poor woman.

Blossomdeary Wed 25-Jan-17 10:46:50

That is wholly unprofessional, not to say just plain stupid - and dangerous for all involved. As an ex-SW I am totally horrified by this. She should have been struck off - what is the point of registration if you can behave like this?

IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe Wed 25-Jan-17 10:46:54

I read this this morning. Absolutely horrific. The sw decided that the ex had a right to know where his dc were. I hope the sw was strung out for that decision especially as it resulted in another attack on the woman.

Such a brace woman. I sincerely hope she is safe and happy now

DJBaggySmalls Wed 25-Jan-17 10:47:04

I've seen SW's on MN being very blase about data protection and this doesnt surprise me at all.
There were posts where people were concerned about the welfare of neighbours, and SW's admitted they would tell the person who called about them. They couldnt understand why this would put some people off phoning SS.

mummyto2monkeys Wed 25-Jan-17 10:47:10

This happened to a friend about five years ago, having just settled she had to move again and she had to go through the social worker for endangering her family. She did complain but it was brushed under the carpet.

IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe Wed 25-Jan-17 10:47:17

Brace/brave bloody autocorrect

MusicToMyEars800 Wed 25-Jan-17 10:53:53

I would like to know how this SW would feel if it was her in that position, suffered abuse at the hands of a man, gets away only to have the address given to him by someone who should be only interested in the protection of her and her children!! it makes me so angry but also upset that these things happen.

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Wed 25-Jan-17 10:53:57

This happened to me, too. Luckily, we lived too far away for my violent cunt of an ex to make the effort to travel. He did, however, resort to a year long campaign of harassment towards me, DS1's school, and DS2's nursery. He also made several malicious calls to SS, giving them my address and claiming to be a neighbour.

My complaint was ridiculed by the social worker in question.

Servicesupportforall Wed 25-Jan-17 10:56:22

Utterly shocking.

fleuricle Wed 25-Jan-17 10:56:24

I used to work for Women's Aid.
We regularly had to move women between hostels as SW gave out addresses to violent partners.
The Police were worse actually, esp the men.
It was jawdropping how often it happened.
But then, in the area I was in, a Policeman was convicted for further assaulting and raping the victims of assault he had been 'helping' so I think the culture in that area was completely skewed.

Once you are a victim you are still vulnerable. To incompetence like this.
and to other predators. It should not stop women making changes. But it is surprisingly not uncommon, sadly.

MsGameandWatch Wed 25-Jan-17 10:59:41

This is horrendous. People are saying on here at these mistakes happen quite often, SW are blase with personal information etc and yet whether there's a thread about SW making mistakes in the cases of children and possible wrongful removal, MN almost as a whole denies this could be possible and there was "obviously more to it". I'm not trying to start a bun fight but why are these mistakes accepted as happening but not removal of children are concerned?

stopfuckingshoutingatme Wed 25-Jan-17 11:01:20

fucks sake angry

fuckimng stupid stupid stupid UGH

This makes me so angry, I don't like SW bashing but in this instance --

why on earth do they do this? are they not fucking trained in the basics?

HecateAntaia Wed 25-Jan-17 11:05:07

It wasn't a mistake though. The sw didn't accidentally show the address, didn't give the man a piece of paper not realising that the address was stuck to the underside of it... they deliberately gave the address, knowing that it was a safe house, knowing the woman was fleeing dv, knowing the police considered her at great risk.

Because the sw decided a dangerous and abusive man had the right to see the child he had with the woman he beat and raped.

If they weren't sacked they ought to have been. tbh, they ought to have been prosecuted. But for their actions, he would not have been able to find her. Their decision to give him her details could have killed her. imo that's criminal.

Deathraystare Wed 25-Jan-17 11:05:53

Read this today.

Obviously the social worker did not think. She is in hiding from a violent partner so of course you don't give the address to the violent ex partner!!!

Needs more training (though should be sacked,tarred and feathered).

SWs don't help themselves, do they??

owlmug Wed 25-Jan-17 11:07:34

A few months back, my close friends abusive ex partner was in court charged with assaulting her and the judge read out her refuge P.O. Box address to him shock

fleuricle Wed 25-Jan-17 11:07:54

MsGame
from memory, it was a combination of high workload, lack of support/communication between agencies, but mostly the complete LACK OF ACCOUNTABILITY that we see so often in public life.

There are lots of dedicated professionals out there. But some not so.
And the rotten apples (and the disorganised and dopey apples) spoil the crop and there is no accountability.
And public trust reduces and the profession feels undervalued and misunderstood and each side tries less hard to understand and help the other and so it goes on?

I used to Counsel women who were often trying to decide whether to take their cases to the Police / Courts. I always tried to be positive about it - as an option - knowing full well that there was a significant chance it could make things rather worse.

This was some time back, to be fair, but some things don't seem to have improved, sadly.

user1475253854 Wed 25-Jan-17 11:08:25

Christ that is terrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now