Talk

Advanced search

Stolen buggy- tempted to Facebook shame - any advice?

(223 Posts)
JSSB Wed 25-Jan-17 09:50:44

I really need some advice as at the end of my tether. Apologies in advance for the long post. Last November I had my twin boys buggy stolen from my car when parked outside our house. Reported to Police who did not attend as "petty" crime, but they advised to check selling sites as it may appear on there which I have been doing ever since. Last Friday it popped up on a facebook selling site. I contacted police as advised and was told it was a low priority so they did not know when would attend. I therefore contacted the seller directly and arranged to view straight away. I visited the property, confirmed it was my buggy and called police immediately who said they would attend. Long story short the Police did not attend until next day after me ringing all night and surprise surprise buggy has been sold and they cannot provide details to police of who they brought it from or sold it to as their phone is broken 😒 I have been advised by Police they can take no further action. I have the sellers details and am very tempted to put on all local sites warning people not to buy anything from her. Advice please.

Scattymere Wed 25-Jan-17 10:02:26

how do you know 100% its your buggy?

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 25-Jan-17 10:03:43

You don't even know if she stole it. For all you know she bought it off someone in good faith. You can't shame her for that.

JSSB Wed 25-Jan-17 10:09:11

I checked the serial number on the buggy when I viewed it at the house and date of manufacture so I know it's definitely mine. She may have bought it in good faith but I don't believe she can't access her messages on Facebook to see who she sold it to. She's claiming her phone has broken so she cant get back in to check messages to police who have just accepted this. However she has subsequently contacted me via Facebook to say she can try and get the buggy back but needs to raise the money. All very suspicious. I'm actually more angry with police response at this moment than anything else.

JSSB Wed 25-Jan-17 10:10:31

Either she can help get it back in which case she should be helping police or not.

DJBaggySmalls Wed 25-Jan-17 10:10:55

So now she is trying to scam money out of you as well?
Get back to the police and report her to Facebook.

londonrach Wed 25-Jan-17 10:11:00

Agree with previous posters you cant know 100% its yours unless in mArked and youve no idea if she. Bought it second hand. Let the police deal with it! Is theft of prams common from cars as getting worried now.

sizeofalentil Wed 25-Jan-17 10:12:23

Tell the admins on the group she was selling it on, and let them make the call as to whether to block her or send out a warning.

JSSB Wed 25-Jan-17 10:13:10

Problem is police have told us they are over stretched and this is not a priority so basically it won't be dealt with. Sent Police all correspondence we have had.

LagunaBubbles Wed 25-Jan-17 10:13:57

Even if she did buy it in good faith she has still handled stolen goods, you dont need a phone to access FB messages.

LagunaBubbles Wed 25-Jan-17 10:14:55

Londonrach JSSB has stated that its the same serial number, so its her buggy.

JSSB Wed 25-Jan-17 10:15:05

Ive also subsequently contacted maker, bugaboo, to check if any other pram would have serial number and they have confirmed would not as each is unique. She was also selling the exact extras we had stolen with our pram which are very unique. There is no doubt it is ours.

londonrach Wed 25-Jan-17 10:18:01

She put that she checked the serial numbers as i was writing it laguna. (Slow writer). Tell site admin and police. Ive seen others on local fb site do similar as op is suggesting and it never goes well even if you in the right. Admin prefer to deal with rather than start a bun fight online!

DontTouchTheMoustache Wed 25-Jan-17 10:18:01

Wow that must be so frustrating OP, with the police more than anything else. I'm worry to hear you have been a victim of theft, it's a horrible feeling. Sadly I think you may just have to let this go, you could end up with issues of slander if you try and shame her.

AtomHeart Wed 25-Jan-17 10:19:25

Make a formal complaint to the Police.

BigBadWolves Wed 25-Jan-17 10:21:11

Definitely wouldn't "Shame" a potentially innocent person. Frustrating as it is, I think police do have better things to do, and the fact they attended at all is surprising. Can you claim on your insurance for its replacement?

SarahOoo Wed 25-Jan-17 10:23:11

Whatever you do please don't do the social media 'shame' technique, it's crass and dangerous. I continually request my friends not to share that kind of thing. There was a case in America was someone completely innocent was murdered after being wrongly accused on social media...an extreme example but it's a risk.

Regardless of your suspicions you do not know with 100% accuracy she stole it. Work with her to get it back but otherwise leave it with the police (who I am afraid are overstretched). Not their fault particularly, blame their funding.

Jaxhog Wed 25-Jan-17 10:23:43

Could you contact your local press? This might galvanize the police into action. (I'd try the Facebook route suggested first)

DoJo Wed 25-Jan-17 10:25:20

She can't be that innocent if she's choosing not to help the OP or the police by claiming that her phone is broken. She could surely access her fb account some other way and provide the details they have asked for if she was also a victim.

LikeTheShoes Wed 25-Jan-17 10:25:40

If she can get it back for money, offer to pay her for it, go and collect it and then do a runner, what's she going to do? You have proof it is yours.

JanuaryMoods Wed 25-Jan-17 10:25:42

I'd shame her.

Bettyspants Wed 25-Jan-17 10:27:34

Op this is awful. I understand the police have it as a low priority and are overstretched but when you have all the evidence there it seems ridiculous. I would contact the admin of the site. Agree it is very suspicious if the add is still up I would comment stating facts such as ' this was stolen from me on ... I have checked the serial number it is mine... police investigating ...if buyer wished to get in touch please do' is make a formal complaint to the police it's outrageous that this will be let go and someone is effectively being allowed to steal with no repercussions.

SemiNormal Wed 25-Jan-17 10:29:41

I wouldn't let it drop if it were me, it would piss me off no end to see someone cashing in off something I paid out for (and I'm guessing you had to pay out to replace it too). Fucking hate theives!! I absolutely would be naming and shaming on Facebook BUT I would put in a disclaimer that you are not saying this person has stolen it themselves but that they *may be selling stolen goods so it's probably best to not purchase anything from them.

DontTouchTheMoustache Wed 25-Jan-17 10:30:07

Agree with betty that if you do anything you MUST stick to the facts of what you know. Making accusations without absolute proof can leave you open to slander cases.

JSSB Wed 25-Jan-17 10:30:50

To be honest I didn't blame her as I thought she may be innocent however it is the fact she is blatantly lying to police about being able to access her messages and she is then contacting me.

My insurance would not pay out. The pram was an expensive gift from grandparents who clubbed together on our twin boys birth. When stolen not only was it a financial loss I was left physically unable to go anywhere as can't physically carry 2 babies. It has had a major impact on our lives.

If the police had advised they would not be attending I would have confronted her there and then, however was told by police not to do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now