Talk

Advanced search

To give my boss a thank you card?

(17 Posts)
identityhidden Wed 25-Jan-17 08:21:23

I feel a bit silly considering it , maybe it's quite childish? I've been off for work for quite a few weeks in and out of hospital, invasive treatment etc. She's been very supportive and understanding, which has made life a lot easier.

She has also this week though written me a glowing reference so I can go back to university , I sat and cried when I read it as she's said some lovely things about me (she emailed it to me so I can forward it on and asked me to check it first). To be honest a part.of me feels like printing it off and keeping it to read if I'm upset in the future (I'm not a very confident person, don't usually like myself very much at all).

I've bought her a wee card and was going to drop it off , I'm meant to be going back to work on phased return in the next fortnight so was hoping to go up today to check my rota.

Would it be daft to give her the card? I've already phoned her to say thanks and I don't want to seem like I'm being 'too grateful' if such a thing is possible? Maybe she's just doing her job?

PollytheDolly Wed 25-Jan-17 08:22:34

No, it would be a lovely thing to do x

ChuckSnowballs Wed 25-Jan-17 08:23:22

I think that is a great idea. If only more managers were like her eh?

ToDuk Wed 25-Jan-17 08:23:26

Lovely. Definitely do it.

MargaretCavendish Wed 25-Jan-17 08:24:34

I think if you give her the card she'll say 'oh, no need for this, just my job, etc'. I also think that she'll be secretly thrilled and touched. That's certainly how I feel when my (university, so adult) students give me thank you cards - I would never expect it or think anything of them not doing it, but it makes my week when they do. Go for it, OP!

Treaclespongeandcustard Wed 25-Jan-17 08:25:43

I think it's a nice thing to do. Hope you feel better soon flowers

hahahaIdontgetit Wed 25-Jan-17 08:25:51

That's a really nice thought.

And do print it off and keep it, then you've got something to keep your spirits up.

SurferRona Wed 25-Jan-17 08:26:59

I think this is a lovely idea OP! The only work cards I've ever kept have been thank you cards from my staff. It's not so much the reference, which may be part of their job, but that they have seen and acknowledged your skills and talent which has helped your confidence. Some positive feedback from you means they'll have that insight of the power of such action and hopefully do more of it in the future.

identityhidden Wed 25-Jan-17 08:32:51

Fab, thank you, grin , I'll pop up with it this afternoon then. She's not always been very vocal in terms of 'praise' and I struggled with my job to begin with (first ever full time job, front line NHS) so it just feels like an immense relief to see it in black and white that I've done it, I've achieved something. It's saved on my phone just now but will get it printed and keep it for future smile

LilacSpatula Wed 25-Jan-17 08:48:08

Definitely keep it and start a portfolio of feedback for future reference - lovely to give them copies. My sister applied for a job and they asked her how her last performance review went, so she sent them a copy. They were impressed.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 25-Jan-17 08:50:44

I used to work with a straight-up monster of a boss, but she was extremely supportive of me and helped me with a particular (life-changing really) situation so I sent her a card. A former colleague told me she kept it on her desk until she left the job. Do it!

CommonFramework Wed 25-Jan-17 09:10:07

Definitely do it. You can never say thank you too much. How lovely!

StripyHorse Wed 25-Jan-17 09:53:04

A thank you card is a lovely way of showing your appreciation. Who knows, she may keep it to cheer her up when she is feeling unappreciated :-)

And YES to saving / printing the email. I have a couple of things that have helped put things in perspective when my confidence is low.

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Wed 25-Jan-17 09:59:09

Definitely do it. It isn't childish, it's just recognising that you appreciate her and what she's done for you. And we all like to be appreciated!

dollydaydream114 Wed 25-Jan-17 10:10:39

Definitely give her the card; it's a really nice gesture and she will appreciate it. I unexpectedly got a given thank you card at work for something similar a few years ago and it made my day.

identityhidden Wed 25-Jan-17 17:10:40

I went up to her office, must have just missed her but have slipped the card under her door so hopefully she'll get it tomorrow smile

girlelephant Fri 27-Jan-17 16:56:18

I think that's a lovely idea! I would love if one of my team did that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now